Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 AM   #1

City: Camarillo
Question SOLD: Any One interested in a 120 HP Ford Leman

I have a boat with a solid Ford Leman 120 HP engine that runs good. Good oil analysis on & off checks over the years & good condition. Oil changed regularly every 100 hours or 6 months for most of it's life. I have heard these can go 20,000 hours & still run great.

I am replacing it soon with a more powerful bigger engine & probably the transmission & shaft & even possibly the prop as well.

Is there anyone out there, here on TF, that needs or would like this 6 cyl - 120 HP Ford Leman engine at a good price. Has heat exchanger, etc, so complete running unit

it has about 4,500 hours on it.

If your serious, If you want, we will take the boat out so you can see & hear it run & perform to show how well it runs before I take it out. A sea trial type check out available if you like before removal as she runs good, I just want more power.

let me know of any one, or if your interested.

Thanks.

mike

Hate to see this perfectly good motor go to waste sitting in storage
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I'm not a prospective buyer - wrong country, but just wish to ask why you are doing this, because that's the same engine I have - they are legendary in their simplicity and longevity - but more to the point, with the boat you have, if it's the one in your avatar, I doubt you will get much better performance out of a bigger more powerful engine. The switch will cost you a lot, and use way more fuel, but basically the boat will be over-powered.

Normally we don't encourage posts on here that are not strictly to do with the sale of the item, but I feel constrained to at least alert you to this issue, as it could save you a lot of money to just keep what you've got.

However, as you are trying to sell a damn good engine, that in Lehman terms is barely run in, this post is not going to detract from the sale if you decide to go ahead. Maybe even enhance it a bit..?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I'm not a prospective buyer - wrong country, but just wish to ask why you are doing this, because that's the same engine I have - they are legendary in their simplicity and longevity - but more to the point, with the boat you have, if it's the one in your avatar, I doubt you will get much better performance out of a bigger more powerful engine. The switch will cost you a lot, and use way more fuel, but basically the boat will be over-powered.

Normally we don't encourage posts on here that are not strictly to do with the sale of the item, but I feel constrained to at least alert you to this issue, as it could save you a lot of money to just keep what you've got.

However, as you are trying to sell a damn good engine, that in Lehman terms is barely run in, this post is not going to detract from the sale if you decide to go ahead. Maybe even enhance it a bit..?
Well Peter, you under estimate the owner's sensibilities. If I owned an old but very sound boat that had an engine I didn't like, I'd replace it too. This provides the opportunity to do all sorts of things once the ER is opened up. O C Diver on TF did a similar thing and sparkled his boat up immensely. How about Insequent doing the same?

There are several really nice diesels that will fit in the same space that will give Alfa Mike a virtually new boat ER.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Mike:

I did essentially what you are doing, that is to replace perfectly good engines at 4500 hrs, with newer, more powerful engines. My take-out did not include transmissions, shafts, propellors. On the advice of the Volvo Penta shop from whom I purchased my newer VP engines, I advertised in the local trade magazines, Westcoast Fisherman and another. I priced my old engines reasonably, at $5000 each or 2 for $7500 and in 3 months had a buyer. This was done before I removed them from my boat, as I wanted a purchaser to see that they were in perfect, operable condition. Then I did the swap.
The only downside occurred when I had to do the swap on quite short notice, as the purchaser wanted one engine immediately due to being broken down, a condition which, as a commercial fisherman, could not be allowed to continue. So I didn't have any opportunity to re-organize my ER while the engines were out.

As a result of the engine change, I now have a newer generation of engines that start better, are more economical by about 10%, increased my cruising speed by a full knot while running at lower rpm, so will last longer. Fuel savings alone paid for the cost of the change within a few years. I should get a better resale price when I eventually decide to sell, so all in all, a good move.

Good luck with your project.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: kemah
I am replacing my lehman with a cummins 6B to save on parts and rebuild cost if needed.

10G's+ just to rebuild a lehman is economically dumb to me when considering that a brand new long block cummins can be bought for 5 G's.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

runs good - long story

Peter B & my other friends on TF.

I am happy to explain, as I did not think anyone would care, but happy to tell the whole story, if you read & will listen.

It's a long story, -- so I hope you don't mind if I write a short book here to explain. -- remember - you asked !

So to make a long story longer, here you go !

I have multiple boats - both sail & power. We are older now & are down sizing our lives as retirement approaches. That down sizing & simplification of our lives also means the boat side & part of our lives as well is being down sized.

All the boats will be sold - EXCEPT - our 1 favorite trawler , which we will be keeping. I just can not & do not want to do any more sail boat racing, sail boat foredeck work & sail handling work any more at my age & neither can the wife as she had back surgery.
I can no longer have different boats in different cities & states. We need to simplify our lives. So we are. That is the story, so here we go.....

I can only be on one boat at a time & we are planning on retiring in the future an doing some serious long range & long term cruising on our one favorite 42 foot trawler boat.
Being gone for months & months & maybe even a year or more, we obviously do not need other boats sitting at the dock costing money & sitting un-used. Plus, don't want the worry of us being thousands of miles away on our extended cruise & us worrying about them sitting back home. So selling everything else !

We both love this one little 1982 42 foot Kadey-Krogen 42 foot trawler that we have & decided that we are keeping it. All the rest of our boats will be or have already been sold or spoken for.

When it comes to my wife's & my favorite 42 foot trawler boat that we both love, we will be keeping it till they put us in the ground !

However, it is an older boat, 1982 vintage, but with great bones & strong solid construction & we love it. This boat, In & Out, it has a lot of good stuff on it, but also some old stuff, lots of dated stuff, & of course some junk stuff on it, so like I said, it is a 1982, which is 35 years old.

The wife & I decided since we are keeping just this one boat, we both want to make her look & be like new in & out -- No Shortcuts ! If we only have one - then lets make this one our best one !

Let me explain a couple other important things. Our Boats are not "my boat" or "her boat" - it is "OUR boat" -- but divided up as to who is in charge of what rooms of the boat.

I get the Pilot House, Foredeck, Fly-Bridge, Electronics & Engine Room.

My wife get the interior like state rooms, salon, & galley & then also the aft porch deck.

She wants her areas to be like 100 % new, as she loves the boat, but wants it to be all new - and most importantly - all to her specifications & taste.

SO - If she gets to make her areas all new, then so do I !!!!!!!!!

So I am doing a complete boat refit & upgrade on our favorite 42 foot trawler -- which also included the engine room.

Starting with a complete boat repaint with Algrip of the entire boat to like new condition - painting the Hull Navy Blue - our favorite color - with white trim & white superstructure.

Fixing interior to be like new & redoing whatever my wife wants inside the boat in her rooms of responsibility, to her taste. Fully Redoing the galley to be like new, with all new appliances that my wife picks out.

SO - If she gets a all new Galley, new Salon, new Staterooms, new Head & new Interior, --
-- then my rooms ( The Engine room & Pilot house & Foredeck & FB, etc.) get to be all new as well, with new Electronics, new Engine, new Transmission and everything that goes with it & redone to my taste & wants.

Does that now make sense to you, so you understand what we are doing.

The engine room has a lot of old dated stuff in it, remember this boat was not our primary boat & it sat in it's slip a lot & it is a 1982 vintage hull.

"Sun-Chaser" has the exact idea of what I am doing.

I am announcing this up coming engine sale because, before I removed it from my boat, as I wanted a purchaser to see that it is in perfect, operable condition & take a ride on the boat with their new to them engine or do any tests they wanted in this great condition engine.

Currently I am preparing to be doing a complete engine room refit with new everything. So, doing all that I want to do, includes my going with an all new modern & current technology power train as well as everything else I have always wanted.

So since I am going to do a complete Engine Room upgrade of everything that is in there, That also included a new engine & transmission as well. If I don't do it now, with this refit, then I won't get to do it later.

So the Ford Leman engine & transmission, even though it runs perfect like a Swiss watch, is legendary in it's simplicity and longevity, is coming out & will be sold. I will sell whatever else I can salvage out of this boat from this refit that is good & usable & let my friends here on TF get some good stuff cheap. The rest goes to the scrap yard.

I agree this engine is a good one, is legendary in it's simplicity and longevity, & runs great with low fuel usage & great reliability, but it is being replaced for the reasons noted above.

As I steal a few words from "Koliver" -- As a result of the engine change, I now will have a newer generation of engine that starts better, is more economical by about 10%, increased my cruising speed by a half a knot while running at lower rpm, so will last longer. I expect that the fuel savings alone will pay some of the swap costs of the change within a few years. added plus that I should get a better resale price if I should ever decide to sell when we get to old to do this.

So My thoughts are if someone out there on TF had a boat like a Grand Banks or a Kadey Krogen, or similar trawler & wanted or needed a good top running reliable Ford Leman 120 HP engine, this could be just the ticket for them. I am willing to sell at a reasonable price point. I did not want to have it go to waste. Someone must need it somewhere ?

I am putting in a NEW John Deere 6068 engine which is what Kadey - Krogen, Nordhavn & other manufactures went to in production for newer boats. I know this engine & am familiar with it. It is just as reliable as the Ford Leman, but all new. I'm Also putting in a new Twin Disc transmission as well. So my old Velvet Touch transmission that was overhauled 3 or 4 years ago & works perfectly is also for sale & it maybe has 400 hours in it.

So No, I am not putting in a racing engine, Just a All NEW POWERTRAIN along with all new everything else that I want in my engine room as well.

I will put up for sale rest of the ER removed stuff like Racor filters, water heaters, pumps, etc. & other ER items that are still good when removed from the ER right here on TF for all you guys that might need something like that when the time comes.

I don't recall the exact HP of the new engine I am putting in, but it is either 140 Hp or 153 or 154 Hp as I recall. Just a bit more power, but all NEW !

I am doing a complete engine room remodel - so to be a complete upgrade I am doing the engine & transmission & full power train as well.
And that can't hurt the boats value either.

There you go - that is my story & I'm sticking to it.

So back to my original question -- does anyone out there on TF need a replacement Ford Leman 120 HP Diesel engine in perfect condition & that runs great ?

If so let me know.

Thanks.

Mike -
Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Mike: Holy shit! You're really going for it. Please keep us posted on the upgrades. By the way you have good taste in boats!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks Larry.

I will try to get some pictures when we do it.

It will be like new in every way we want it to be & can afford it to be.

So should be fun.

My mind is already swimming with lists & things I want & stuff to do.

Keeps me up at night - but in a good way.

Thanks guys.

BTW - I will change my Avatar once the boat is painted & operational.

mike
Old 02-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
I am putting in a NEW John Deere 6068 engine which is what Kadey - Krogen, Nordhavn & other manufactures went to in production for newer boats. Mike -
Mike

A good friend purchased new the last KK42 made. It had the JD 6068. When he finally sold it two years ago it was pushing 6000 hours and the engine surveyed out just fine. Can't fault your logic at all. How about a set of Naiads while your at it? His was so equipped and traversed the east and west coasts with elan.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Model: Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
Not for nothin.... I'm buying a 1982 Kadey-Krogen w a 1370 hour Lehman... it has no A/C, OEM refrigerator long gone... basically Mike whatever your pulling off I'm interested in acquiring. I'm in TPA please give me a PM when you have a chance.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #11

Long way to TAMPA BAY area from here

Mummi,

I'll help you any way I can.

However, I am on the left coast.

The other west coast - the one in California.

Your on the west coast of Florida.

So the west coast of California & our great Channel Islands National Park we have out here in Southern California are a long way from West coast of Florida.

I will have a bunch of stuff.

We will do what we can.

Congrats on your boat choice. Great little trawlers.

Mike
Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I know what Mike's up to.

I replaced the original Perkins engine in Willy not long after we decided to move to Alaska. Did other stuff too. The Perky was a bear to start, not as smooth as I would have liked and over 35 years old.

Put in a new Mitsubishi S4L2 by Klassen.
We love the engine but it's been 10 yrs and don't know what it would have been like if we had kept the Perkins. Needed no extra power and the Mitsu was not a change there at all. Willard got that right and few manufacturers were at that time. Most were overpowered. If I was Mike I'd consider the 80hp JD NA four cylinder engine ideal. But I know they are not made anymore. Just say'in.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 02-25-2017, 12:10 AM   #13

repowering

I considered a 4 cylinder engine, but finally went with the 6068 - 6 cylinder 6.8 liters displacement JD diesel. The JD is OE supplied on the late model newer Kadey Krogen's like the 1997 KK 42 model. It is OE on many of the same size neighborhood Nordhavn's as well among others. A proven power plant that can & does go many thousands of trouble free hours in marine applications.

It does have a little more power, but we never intended to use the top end power anyway. However, remember, it also has more low & mid range torque, which allows us to put a bigger bite on the prop, which in turn allows us to run her at lower RPM's which is a good thing in & of it self.

It is smother & quieter which are both big things to us and also more fuel efficient by about 10%. Certainly a 4 banger would have dropped in there easily, & would have had enough power & given us more ER open room. But in the end we went with this one as it is the OE Kadey-Krogen base power plant for the late 1990's KK 42's & the last year of production on the 1997 year model KK 42's as a Lugger brand L668D engine, as they did the marineazation on the JD base engine like the " Amy K" has down in Florida & we know several KK 42 owners like "Toad Hall" up in Port Townsend that did this same JD power plant change a couple years back & they loved the outcome.

So we will have all kinds of goodies for sale when the conversion is done. I am looking forward to it.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Thanks for your explanation alfamike, I guess when I said what I said, I had not allowed for your exceptionally good fortune, of literally being in that heavenly place which we sometimes refer to as 'money no object". I totally agree, now you have explained about all the other boats you are selling, and how much you love this KK42, and want to make it like new, that what you plan is completely understandable in that context. Good luck to you in your endeavour. Be glad also you are in a place most of us will never know. It must feel good.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Model: Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
Thanks Mike! I'm looking forward to the rehab. As is my usual habit, I take old and make new. I'm a veteran of your turf and still get out there every couple of months on business. Great cruising ground. I'm at rnummi at mac dot com. Just to show what a journey I have in front of me... go to eBay switch on closed or expired auctions... search for Kadey Krogen 42. Before every project I say a prayer to the trawler gods... "Let this one be easier than the last". They never are. Some of us are just gluttons for punishment.

Rick
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 02-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #16

Spoiled

Peter B,

I don't want you to think I am a spoiled rich kid. I am trying to achieve my dream. It is a big financial stretch for me to do this & I am consolidating all I have,except my house,to pull this project together by selling all my extraneous stuff that I have collected over the last 40 years or so & using that money to fund my project. I am doing a lot of the work myself, not doing a check book refit.

The reason I ended up with multiple boats was not because I was a jet setter, it was because my job required me to reside in areas I could not afford a house & apartments were unreasonable priced & took all the profit out of doing the job there like in Silicon Valley in the SF Bay area of California So I would look for a deal & buy a old used boat off Craig's list to live on during the week & go home on weekends.

I worked 14 hour days 6 days a week for decades to be where I am now. So it was never a easy thing to now be able to do this & is still a stretch, but it is the one thing I enjoy.

And By the way - this old boat I am fixing up is a 1982 ! So it is a 35 year old boat. Hardly a new boat in any ones book. Except for the engine & transmission, I am buying used equipment where I can or consolidating stuff off the other boats I am selling to make the equipment list I need for this project.

I have never purchased a new car in my life. For once in my life I wanted one thing that was exactly what I wanted, instead of always having to settle for second or third best, so I giving up a lot to do this.

I do appreciate your & others interest in the project & sharing this with the FT team. Out here in L.A. area there are not that many people that are interested in what I do boating wise. I invite people to go sailing or boating & I get nothing but excuses as to why they won't go. So I enjoy the camaraderie we share here on TF when it comes to boats.

I will try to post some pictures as I go on the project.

Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 02-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Mike, I like what you are doing, hope it goes well. In a limited way I`m doing update things with my 1981 boat, no one wants to buy it, so why not. I like having the old FL120s, 2200 hours on them, running sweetly as an FL120 can.
Yours may be too good (as well as geographically impossible) but if a tired FL120 came up, I`d like it for parts back up. Maybe someone local will see that in yours, if no one needs it as a swapover engine.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #18

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Mike, I just sent you a PM.

Bill
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Hello Mike. I also just sent you a PM.

thanks

Michael
Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #20

City: Ladysmith
I might be interested.

Did you find a taker for the old Lehman?

Tags
engine