Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
For anyone needing an engine I can vouch for this one. I had the chance to examine it running a bit before it was removed from the boat. It was meticulously maintained as to the mechanics and ran perfectly.

The price is certainly right so if the timing were right for me I would have bought it myself.

I scoured the country for engines so if your tempted to do the same I'd just say don't waste your time. I highly doubt you'd find one for close the price and provenance.

So especially for anyone within arms length and who needs an engine I'd say grab it while you can and be confident you've got a reliable engine. Heck, I don't even need an engine anymore but even so Im tempted to buy this one and give it a home in my garage for future use.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #42
Guru

ALFA MIKE
I'm sorry but your asking a question I don't know. My experience at Deere had everything thing to do with combines but I had very little contact with the Power Systems group. You might try: https://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/htm...ontact_us.html
Deere loves their customers. They do say the first line of information is their dealers

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Craig
Old 05-09-2018, 01:05 AM   #43

City: Camarillo
Deposit received

Thanks Guys.

I have received a deposit.

So engine is spoken for, unless it falls through due to financing issues.

We will see.

Thanks.

Alfa Mike
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
ALFA MIKE
My experience at Deere had everything thing to do with combines
Craig
So did you work with McGlaughlin assembly? They were one of my customers as a product engineer for the steering shaft.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #45
Guru

ALPHA MIKE; Good luck on your sale and good luck ever more. I Hope you have the best of luck with your new 6068. I hope and expect that you will have a exceeds expectations report card after the fact.

JLEONARD: May I correct your spelling? McLaughlin Body Co was our Cab supplier for many years. They are a good company. What parts were you responsible for? Shafts machining and Ujoints or more general stuff? I only worked directly with them on some specific stamping tooling they were running as a stamping supplier. I'll send u a pm with my phone number. Small world.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #46
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Seems like quite a bit of money to be throwing at a 35 year old hull...even if it is a classic.
My thoughts also when i talked with Mike about this last year.

He just REALLY likes the JD, so he can, so will.
On the other hand, I think it's a great opportunity for someone who may need a Ford Lehman replacement.
You would be getting a deal on an engine whose only fault was that it's RED.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #47
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Man, does anyone read anymore??? Going though this thread is excruciating! BTW Lehmans aren't 20k hour engines. There were two of them five years ago that had 85,000 hours and counting (Ag pumps).
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #48

Ford Lehman - life expectancy

Ford Lehman - life expectancy

Yes, in a non salt water environment with dry exhaust & proper maintenance & clean air & clean oil & not over heated, they can go seemingly almost forever.

But in recreational marine environment usage where the engines sit for a month between usage & that combined with a wet exhaust & in a salt water environment there are other factors that can cut the durability & engine life down to lower number. What that number is depends on many factors, but it is many, many thousands of reliable hours of operation. So No argument their.

But your right they do run well over what most of us would ever live long enough to put on them.

Great reliable engines.

Thanks.

Alfa Mike
Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I think the 20,000 hour engine idea came from Bob Smith who worked for Ford Lehman and went on to start American Diesel. He used to tell people that they were good for the 20k hours, in fact he once told me that personally. Usually recreational boaters kill the engines much sooner due to neglect.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:39 AM   #50

ENGINE is SOLD !

The 1982 Ford Lehman 6 cylinder Diesel Engine is sold.

As to the number of hours - Yes - it was Bob Smith who also told me that number & I always remembered that number & he was a guy who worked for Ford Lehman and went on to start American Diesel & was very knowledgeable about the engine.

Properly cared for & used regularly they can last a very, very long time.

In fact if they sit to much that can sometimes shorten their life more that regular usage.

But your also right that many owners neglect them & don't take care of them & that can be the reason a few die under that many hours.

So the engine is sold my friends. So this one will continue it's life in another boat it will now call home. Thank you to all on TF ! Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Alfa Mike
Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #51
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Lehman Hours

It was Bob that I had the long conversation with to settle this very question. He told me of the two running as pumps and declared that we don't really know how long the 120 can last if perfectly maintained.

Tags
engine