Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
FF
Guru

Off the Market-LUCY 50 ft Navy Utility Conversion

LUCY our cruising boat for multiple AICW trips and Loop ( both left and right) is again for sale.

The last purchaser simply did not have the money. $29,900 US

Located Ortona, FL

As posted on Craigs list,https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...788443528.html with photos,

50ft US Navy Utility Boat super built construction .These boats were the backbone of the aircraft carriers. They would carry 150 passengers , or 10tons of cargo , night and day while in port.

This 1967 Utility was converted as a lobster supply boat , then to cruise the "Loop" a 6000 mile ride around the eastern USA.

As a supply boat in Maine she would go to the edge of the shelf and bring in lobsters and bring out what ever was needed . Built better than most commercial vessels our only maint. on the 6 month loop was oil changes.

The hull is fire retardant resin built before the resin costs soared and quality went down , no pox ever.

A Fwd collision bulkhead is intact and the boat could be inspected to carry passengers for hire.

The conversion maintains nearly 15 ft of aft open cockpit , which we cover with a patio awning as required.

The interior and exterior are paint with some wood trim , no teak to maintain and no" in the coffin" feeling when below.

The engine is a Detroit Diesel 6-71 with about 3,500 hours , it was stored in a can in a mountain till the mid 90s as War Reserve , and then installed in a boat. Transmission is a 3-1 Twin Disc , all the maint. books are aboard.

Keel cooled with a dry stack , requires no maint. 8 mph cruise under 3 gph , 12-13 mph 12GPH

An autopilot with remote , Flow Scan , and AM-FM radio make distances vanish.

2, 100G monel fuel tanks and a pair of switchable filters supply constant clean fuel

The Pilot house is about 10 ft deep and contains a great sitting couch area and a pilot chair .

Engine instruments , controls, autopilot, radios, compass and stowage are located here as well as doors P&S and windows that can be opened fore and aft and roof vents.

In the main cabin a propane SS range and large sink make galley work easy , as does pressure hot water.

An inverter and micro wave are installed.The boat is a 12V boat.

120G of fresh water in two tanks

There is lots of storage under dinette that seats 4 or 5 , and also a wet head.

The fwd cabin is low but a Queen sized bed with storage under is comfortable for sleeping or sitting and reading .
The PH , main salon and all have hatches for ventilation. Everything is very simple.

On deck there are multiple cleats , and dual bow rollers for the 60lb anchors that come with LUCY.

The capstan is hydraulic for both rope and chain.

Air Draft is about 12ft so bridges are seldom a hassle. Boat draft depends on loading under4 ft.

She is ready to perform what ever service you desire .

Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Here in Gods Waiting Room not much interest in a work boat , even one that can cruise effortlessly.

PRICE REDUCTION to $24,900 asking , otherwise we will have to run it North one more time, spring of 2020 to the NE where boats work.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...788443528.html

Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Workboats rock. Keep the faith FF, your buyer will find you. Don't give it away.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Xbank,
It’s a great boat and a great engine.
I’d spend 3-$400 detailing ... or just plain cleaning.
But the actual problem may be a very inexpensive boat that requires (for most people) very expensive moorage. I love the boat but wouldn’t buy a 50’ boat because of the high cost of moorage.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I rebuild a WWII 50' launch about 1960. Wood hull, Grey Marine 671.

I think you're overpriced.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:34 AM   #6
FF
Guru

"I love the boat but wouldn’t buy a 50’ boat because of the high cost of moorage."

Slips in CT were always crazy expensive , even 30 miles up the river from the Sound.

25 years ago a slip for 33ft on the Sound was $4500 for the summer!

With the solar and propane reefer the boat can sit on a mooring , as we do in summers in expen$ive CT for $100 a month.

$100 gets dink space, parking ,water, pump out and dumpster.
Even on weekend its quiet on a mooring its calm and quiet , unlike the dock.

The reefer stays cold for about 3 weeks on a bottle of propane so the beer and ice cream are ready when you go aboard.

"I rebuild a WWII 50' launch about 1960. Wood hull, Grey Marine 671.
I think you're overpriced."

I'm sure if the boat was wood it would be overpriced , but it is built of fire retardant GRP...
Boats & Harbors often lists newly released Utilities for low $30,'s , these are open launches with Cummins not Detroit 6-71 engines.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #7

City: Cape Coral
Is this vessel still for sale?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #8

City: San Carlos
How would this boat be for the sea of cortez??
Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I rebuild a WWII 50' launch about 1960. Wood hull, Grey Marine 671.

I think you're overpriced.

We have a general rule here to not chime in publicly on someone elseís classified ad with negative or unneeded info. If you feel the need a PM would be better.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Craigs list link is gone
Old 03-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fairport
https://www.popyachts.com/trawlers-f...florida-167531

If I were 20 years younger, I would jump on this one. Put on an aft deck hardtop, more solar, and turn this into a Bahamas dive expedition vessel. Bouncing sets of double tanks, scooters, and 250cf O2 cylinders on decks, turns most other yachts into dust...

hmmm; We are buying a Fl waterfront house with 80' of dock.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Re-posted a while back, but forgot to repost the newaddress here. OOPS!

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...826434152.html

Anyone looking should know at the End of April , we bail out for cooler climes , so it will be November before the boat could be seen.''

A boat that never requires marina slip can be very economical to keep or cruise.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Great looking boat. Good luck with sale!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #14
FF
Guru

OFF THE MARKET , for now.

We are only a few days from wandering north to finish building our new summer cottage , so there realistically is not enough time for a sale to be completed.

Next November LUCY will go back on the market , although were looking forward to a last trip up the AICW , to sell her in New England.

As a 50fter built for two, there should be more demand as a working boat , that can overnight and cruise .
Old 04-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #15
Guru

City: Doha
FF, I noticed that your ad stated it was keel cooled. Is that via a commercial grid cooler or an external pipe?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #16
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
If she was in Australia I reckon she'd be sold in a heartbeat.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #17
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
OFF THE MARKET , for now.

We are only a few days from wandering north to finish building our new summer cottage , so there realistically is not enough time for a sale to be completed.

Next November LUCY will go back on the market , although were looking forward to a last trip up the AICW , to sell her in New England.

As a 50fter built for two, there should be more demand as a working boat , that can overnight and cruise .
Where are you building your cottage?
Old 04-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #18
FF
Guru

FF," I noticed that your ad stated it was keel cooled. Is that via a commercial grid cooler or an external pipe?"

The keel cooling is done Maine style ,(2) 20 ft each lengths of 1 1/2 pipe down & back with (2) 90 deg elbows and a short nipple .

IN Maine or the Bahamas the coolant bounces between 165 and 180F , as the built in thermostats cycle.

"Where are you building your cottage?" Middletown CT.

After 4 years of buroRat insanity from zoning and planning we were finally given permission to tear down a 1930's cottage ,22x32 , no insulation and replace it with a similar sized modular.

Had I known , I would have worn a wire ,the constant lies and disinformation was amazing!!

The modular boxes are in place on a new crawl space foundation , water , sewer and electric next .Raising the old (10year) porch ,to the new building height or building a new porch is still up in the air.