• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: '98 Carver 355 twin diesel for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tim, well, you now have had at least a couple of showings that more or less commented negatively on the carpeting.

I think I described the last showing incorrectly. The wife actually thought the carpet was new. I did have a previous showing where I got a negative comment on the carpet. I'll let the broker guide me on that as well as on price.
Right now I think it's the cheapest twin diesel in it's age range on the market. The only time I've mentioned price outside the advertised price on boat trader and craigs list is when someone tries to negotiate price on the phone without looking at it. It goes something like this: "Will you take $60,000". You haven't even seen the boat, I say. They say well if I made that offer will you take it. I say I don't negotiate on the phone with someone who hasn't seen it. These are not serious buyers and would probably not buy it for 60 grand anyway.
Having not got one offer, it's not price. It's about getting the right people and I've not done that.

Tim

I'm sure a top notch broker could retell your story on virtually every boat they've listed.

RV question - are the Freightliner chassis, front ends and suspension systems that seem common in the higher end units akin to talking about "quality" boats? Or do RV buyers focus on leather couches and TVs like many boaters do? Seems a similar set of wants when people are boat buying.

Well Spartan probably has the name when it comes to quality chassis. But you make a good point. I was told several years ago boat manufactures make their new boats with the wife in mind. After all who in their right mind would buy a boat if the wife didn't like it.

RV's are probably the same. Everyone who has looked at my boat with the exception of perhaps 3 people, didn't have a clue how the boat operated or that you have to maintain the mechanicals. They thought it was like owning a car. One guy when I asked if he wanted to look at the engines said "Hey it's an engine they're all the same", then proceeded to ask me if the TV had a DVD player and if the music radio had an amplifier. I replied the boat actually has 2 engines. Turbo chargers, after coolers and multistage filtration was way over his head, but sadly he could care less. Which means to most lookers all the upgrades especially to the mechanicals don't mean a thing. If a competitive boat has a nicer couch with new carpet it will likely be more attractive even if the engines smoke badly and can't reach WOT. They've heard diesels are better but don't have a clue as to why.

I hope a broker can bring me a knowledgeable motivated buyer. If so the boat will sell quickly.

Just a suggestion. Staging is everything. I can look past it, but many can't. De-clutter, replace the carpeting, put some new decorative pillows in, etc.

I have not seen the interior of your boat so I do not know how it shows.

The people in my marina have made some offers on my boat after seeing some of my refits. They cannot believe it is the same boat. No mine isn't for sale. :socool:

Personally? I like it, but may be a little too sterile. Please do not take this the wrong way, I'm trying to help.

Pop some color with some throw pillows, ie: turquoise, yellow, coral. They can be solid or a combination. This will take the eye away from the carpet if you do not want to replace it. (I don't think it needs replacement). Also, a few decorative objects placed around will also help. Think a pot of silk sea grass placed on a shelf, a mermaid statue, a comfortable throw on the couch, a dish towel reflecting the colors in the pillows, a hand towel in the head carrying one of the colors from the bed. Simple things to draw the eye. This will not cost much if you go to your local TJMaxx or the like. Hang on, I have some interior pics of my boat that I have to upload from my phone. You can see the pops of color taking the eye away from a few objectable areas. Keep in mind mine is a work in progress, but everybody seems to love it.

Again, I can see the possibilities in your boat and love it, but you need to appeal to women and women like to see things! LOL!

Thanks Donna. I'll get some ideas from your pics when you post. This is good stuff, thanks.

You are welcome. I am have a horrible time getting these pics out of my phone and on my computer. Please be patient. :)

When we listed our boat, I believe the listing agreement said if we found the buyer, we didn't have to pay the commission or it was reduced. We made no attempt to sell it ourselves. I think it was called a Uniform Listing Agreement or something like that. You might want to ask for that clause or something like it as some people who know you are selling may be procrastinating for various reasons.

Found a copy of our listing contract and it is called a "Uniform Brokerage Agreement". It states if the owner sell the vessel without assistance by
the brokerage agency (by name), there will be no commission due on the sale.

Thanks Donsan, I'll mention that. I have 2 more showings and I might shut it down after that and give it to a broker. I wonder with that clause if the broker might not try as hard.

still trying!

Hope these few come through. I'll take more tomorrow of the salon and window shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_3670.jpg
    IMG_3670.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3663.jpg
    IMG_3663.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 118
Thanks Donsan, I'll mention that. I have 2 more showings and I might shut it down after that and give it to a broker. I wonder with that clause if the broker might not try as hard.

I wish one of the TF brokers would chime in on the Uniform Brokerage Agreement. The contract says "Uniform" and generally when something says "Uniform" it relates back to the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) but realtors now are using uniform contracts and I think they follow from the national or state realtors organization and not the UCC. There may be a national yacht brokers organization pushing for the uniform agreement. But to answer your question, I don't think the broker will not try as hard.

Most sellers do not want to sell the boat themselves. Some can't because of their location or their health. Some sales are from estates. The main thing brokers have going for them is Yacht World which is kind of the boat equivalent of the Multi Listing Service in real estate. There are other listing services like Craigs List, Boat Trader and the like but I suspect, 90% of the buyers of boats over 30' go almost exclusively to YW. If you want the broker to do his job, you will find one who is located at or very close to your marina. If a guy has to drive an hour to your boat like you do and spend 30 minutes getting ready for the showing and then another 30 minutes to lock it up and another hour to drive back to the office, he's burned a good percent of his workday on a single showing. But if the broker is at your marina, he might engage a dock hand to get the boat ready and then again to lock it up after the showing. My point is, the easier you make it for the broker to sell, the more effort he will put into it.

Donsan, good point about the brokers location. I'm at a large marina with 2 brokers offices on location. I was planning on using one of them. Very good advise.

Tim

I'm sure a top notch broker could retell your story on virtually every boat they've listed.

RV question - are the Freightliner chassis, front ends and suspension systems that seem common in the higher end units akin to talking about "quality" boats? Or do RV buyers focus on leather couches and TVs like many boaters do? Seems a similar set of wants when people are boat buying.

Tom
Does this mean you are looking at RVs

Seriously though, There is just as much variation in the knowledge of RV shoppers as among boat shoppers. Those who have looked at a lot of different RVs get to know which ones have more of what they are interested in or knowledgeable of, just as with boats. Certainly in our case when we bought our first RV, we had a bare minimum knowledge base, but by the time we bought our present RV that base had grown exponentially, so we bought what should last us till we are done with RVs.

As for Freightliner vs other chassis manufacturers, The "quality" RVs will tout their chassis as the best (All of them say theirs is much better than any of their competitors) as will the lesser manufacturers. So much BS in the advertising, one has to learn what makes a good chassis and draw your own conclusions after finding a manufacturer whose product appeals to you.

Many of the good quality manufacturers didn't make it through the 2008 recession, despite their good record to that time. In today's economy, the industry is back to high production levels and used coaches are going for good prices after several years of getting poor to zero sales.

One place I learned a lot was on the forum of the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) where guys who had a problem with whatever was crapping out would post and get the accumulated wisdom of the membership, much like TF. That process lifted me up the learning curve and helped a lot with coach problems till I bought my present coach, and when I hadn't had things go wrong (I know, I am tempting fate to say that) for quite a while I stopped trolling that forum.

Mod: Sorry about the thread creep, but did Tom ask

Carver

That is a very nice looking boat. I have been looking at traditional trawlers for some time and I do have a few questions....
What happened to the other motor? Why was it replaced so early?
Is there anything mechanical that needs to be done now or in the near future?

Thanks!

T

Thanks!

Port engine was replaced because it was over propped, water ingestion due to a broken hose clamp on the raw water transfer hose from the aftercooler to the tranny cooler and port prop tangled a rope in the water while engine was at 2300 rpm and immediately reduced rpm to 1000. Rope melted around cutlass bearing. This action caused the #3 piston and valves to melt.

Waste holding tank quantity indicates are inaccurate.

One of the 3 stove top burners does not work.

Rope to chain splice needs to be replaced but is still in working order.

Aftercoolers were serviced in Feb, oil changed in April. Bottom is cleaned monthly professionally and was last painted in April 2015.

Boat will be placed with a broker in January.

Tom
Does this mean you are looking at RVs

Sorta.
Waiting to sell the boat before seriously looking at a 40' DP. Unlike many who have looked at my boat, I'll wait until I'm ready to buy before inconveniencing a seller by having him show me his rig and tell him I have to sell our boat first.

I'm pretty active on 3 RV forums and occasionally swing by the FMCA forum.

Carvers are not known for their gel coat quality. I have a 1995 carver 390 CPMY and have had to start using Poly Glow on it. It works great but only last about 9 months. I live in Fort Myers, FL and know about gel coat fading. You can get someone to shine the boat up using Poly Glow or do it yourself. It takes me about three days to do but I have paid someone $17/ foot to do it for me.

I am impressed with your boat. I have been looking for trawlers etc for living aboard and moving around to different ports of call. I will be single handed (widower) and need a boat I can work by myself. The single helm, up, might be a problem for me anchoring. How long does it take you get from the helm to the windlass during anchoring?
also, can you get your body into both sides of the engine for maintenance? Looks tight.
And what is the bridge clearance height. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER ORIGINAL ENGINE THAT REQUIRED IT TO BE REPLACE? thanks RB 828-776-4849

On the replaced engine: If it broke down from poor maintenance, then probably the other one had poor maintenance also, but just hasn't broken yet ??? I would have a real good explanation of what happened to the engine that was replaced, and why the old engine did not suffer the same problems??

"On the replaced engine: If it broke down from poor maintenance, then probably the other one had poor maintenance also, but just hasn't broken yet ??? I would have a real good explanation of what happened to the engine that was replaced, and why the old engine did not suffer the same problems??"

Directly below is a cut and paste from post #77 in this string - you can also easily reach the owner for more details by email, text or phone.
Good luck with your search and hope this helps....

Originally Posted by nobartoofar
T

Thanks!

Port engine was replaced because it was over propped, water ingestion due to a broken hose clamp on the raw water transfer hose from the aftercooler to the tranny cooler and port prop tangled a rope in the water while engine was at 2300 rpm and immediately reduced rpm to 1000. Rope melted around cutlass bearing. This action caused the #3 piston and valves to melt.

Waste holding tank quantity indicates are inaccurate.

One of the 3 stove top burners does not work.

Rope to chain splice needs to be replaced but is still in working order.

Aftercoolers were serviced in Feb, oil changed in April. Bottom is cleaned monthly professionally and was last painted in April 2015.

Boat will be placed with a broker in January.
user_offline.gif
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=506404

"I am impressed with your boat. I have been looking for trawlers etc for living aboard and moving around to different ports of call. I will be single handed (widower) and need a boat I can work by myself. The single helm, up, might be a problem for me anchoring. How long does it take you get from the helm to the windlass during anchoring?
also, can you get your body into both sides of the engine for maintenance? Looks tight.
And what is the bridge clearance height. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER ORIGINAL ENGINE THAT REQUIRED IT TO BE REPLACE? thanks RB 828-776-4849"

And here is the link the OP posted with many details and hi res photos showing details about the boat which should answer many of your questions. Also his contact information.....

http://www.flyinlowsale.com/

On the replaced engine: If it broke down from poor maintenance, then probably the other one had poor maintenance also, but just hasn't broken yet ??? I would have a real good explanation of what happened to the engine that was replaced, and why the old engine did not suffer the same problems??

Wow, what an assumption being made about poor maintenance by a person that has NEVER seen the boat, you should be careful making those kind of statements. From what I have seen, the boat has been extremely attended to. What indicated to you , that you felt you needed to make that comment.

Question about fuel burn

Hello- I am a relatively new member to this forum and this is first time I've tried contacting someone so hope this works ok! I am retired (thank God)Currently I'm in Florida at Navarre in the panhandle so not THAT far from you. I have a 32ft Marinette on Ky Lake (Paris Landing Marina, Tn) that I have lived on for a year since retiring which is now for sale. I have been looking for a trawler with a diesel(s) due to fuel economy over my twin gas motors. I came across your Carver and although not a trawler it might fit the bill perfectly anyway. Your boat is very nice looking and appears to be well maintained. So sorry for the lengthy preamble but here goes the question. Can you tell me what your fuel burn/rpm settings are at low cruise and a "normal" cruise speed? And also your opinion since I am single and will probably be moving the boat around by myself, how that would be to handle by myself (I'm thinking going thru locks, docking etc etc) Thanks so much and look forward to your reply.
Theo

Hello- I am a relatively new member to this forum and this is first time I've tried contacting someone so hope this works ok! I am retired (thank God)Currently I'm in Florida at Navarre in the panhandle so not THAT far from you. I have a 32ft Marinette on Ky Lake (Paris Landing Marina, Tn) that I have lived on for a year since retiring which is now for sale. I have been looking for a trawler with a diesel(s) due to fuel economy over my twin gas motors. I came across your Carver and although not a trawler it might fit the bill perfectly anyway. Your boat is very nice looking and appears to be well maintained. So sorry for the lengthy preamble but here goes the question. Can you tell me what your fuel burn/rpm settings are at low cruise and a "normal" cruise speed? And also your opinion since I am single and will probably be moving the boat around by myself, how that would be to handle by myself (I'm thinking going thru locks, docking etc etc) Thanks so much and look forward to your reply.

The boat is under contract. See the following link:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/sold-boat-maybe-29864.html

I just talked to Theo on the phone and answered most of his posted questions. The boat is under contract and should be finalized by the end of the month.

Congrats! Hope everything works out with the sale and the RV plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom