• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: 3 Stateroom Liveaboard Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unanchored

Vessel Name
unAnchored
Vessel Make
Albin 36
Seeking a liveaboard trawler with 3 staterooms. Preferably 2 queens and set of bunks or v birth twins. Not looking for a project, but rather a LRC that is ready to go. The more self sufficient the better ie. watermaker, solar, etc. Don't want to be tied to a marina dock.

Seeking a boat for my family with 2 kids for long term cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Prefer updated electronics and no teak decks. Economical low hp engines without a ton of hours. Preferably 1980's or newer.

Boats we like are the Cheoy Lee 46, Cheoy Lee 52, Defever 53. But we are open to any make that meets these requirements.

We live in Florida, so located in the SE US would be best.

Budget: 150k ish or less

Thanks!

Pick two

You are asking for 3 main things.

Large
Good condition
Cheap

You will likely need to adjust your expectations on one of them. Go smaller, go for boat that isn't in as good shape, or spend more money.

You are asking for 3 main things.

Large
Good condition
Cheap

You will likely need to adjust your expectations on one of them. Go smaller, go for boat that isn't in as good shape, or spend more money.

What he said!

Thank you for your feedback! What would you suggest the budget should be? We have found a few boats that meet all these expectations, but they went under contract before we could make an offer. There is a lot of buyer confidence right now, so boats are going very quickly that are priced right. Of course the ones that are priced unrealistically or have major projects are still sitting.

Botton line, I would move the budget up for the right boat, but would like to get some feedback on what an appropriate budget is in this market. Granted most of the boats we have looked at are 30+ years old, so that has to be taken into account... at least it does for me.

Thanks!

Buying a 30 yr old boat requires that you are either very handy or have very deep pockets. You do not need to be a professional plumber, electrician or diesel mechanic but the more you can do yourself the better it is. Our President is 35 yrs old and I do most of my own work and take classes every winter. Because of this hands on knowledge, a trip is never postponed and we have never been towed.

Unanchored, a few questions:

• What is your previous boat ownership experience?
  • Are you skilled enough (like TJM above) and with lots of free time to take on a DIYer and make it right?
  • How many vessels fitting your guidelines have you personally been on and inspected for an hour or two each?
Once you have looked at 20 or so vessels close to your mark, things will start to fall into place.

• Are you skilled enough (like TJM above) and with lots of free time to take on a DIYer and make it right?
  • How many vessels fitting your guidelines have you personally been on and inspected for an hour or two each?
Once you have looked at 20 or so vessels close to your mark, things will start to fall into place.

Excellent advice. The issue is that that all boats require repair and maintenance. Stuff does, and will, break. The newer the boat, the better maintained, the less quickly stuff will break. However you pay for that newer and better maintained boat.

I can't give you an idea on where the budget should be because I have not looked at that type of boat in your market, but $150k seems low for a boat that size that is updated and in good condition. As Sunchaser said, you will see the market range as you look at a number of boats.

Hi Sunchaser,

- I currently own a 22ft center console and have had quite a bit experience operating, maintaining, and caring for larger vessels in the 50-60ft range.

- I like to think I am a jack of all trades master of none ;) If I wasn't somewhat handy, I probably would not consider purchasing an older larger vessel. I am very aware how much it can cost to maintain any boat only using "professionals".

- We have been on and inspected close to 15-20 vessels since we began our search at the beginning of the year. Just this week, I drove from St Aug to Miami on Sunday and St Aug to Tampa area to view 2 more vessels. The Miami boat was not as described or listed and the Tampa area boat went under contract 45 min before we got there.

I feel like we know what we want and really have a good handle on our compromises we are willing to make.

My intention for posting here was that there may be some leads regarding FSBOs or pre market boats. I feel like I have seen every boat on yachtworld or similar sites :)

Thanks!

Unanchored

It sounds like you have it figured out. So just sit back and wait, something will turn up. But I'd guess you to be well below the market if you really want to tick the boxes, as well as wanting a blue water at times capable vessel with Bahamas range.

Widen your scope a little geographically. Great Lakes searches have proven successful for many too. Have you looked at the Bayliner 4788? A DeFever 48 fits your criteria too, many represented on TF. Lots more to choose from. You'll know it when you see it.

My intention for posting here was that there may be some leads regarding FSBOs or pre market boats. I feel like I have seen every boat on yachtworld or similar sites :)

Thanks!

And if you have done so and not found one that fit your criteria, then that only supports more that something has to be adjusted. Go back on Yachtworld raising your maximum in increments. Maybe search to see what is available between $150k and $175k or even $200k. Do it a little at a time.

Does your $150k include immediate work that would have to be done and upgrades or still allow for a substantial first year expenditure?

What you'll find as you run YW in price ranges above that you've been looking is slightly newer boats with each change.

Then when it seems like the perfect boat, don't waste a minute before you see it and if you like it put an offer on it. Think about the one that got away and how next time to get there four hours earlier. I have an acquaintance who keeps finding the perfect boat and then thinking about it, turning around to make an offer, and it's gone.

H
I feel like we know what we want and really have a good handle on our compromises we are willing to make.

Sounds like you do. Just a matter of finding the right boat at the right time. Continue to do what you are doing and it will come together at some point.

When I first read your post subject, the boat that came to my mind was the Bayliner 4788. I see lots of them around here. It may be worth considering.

Excellent advice. The issue is that that all boats require repair and maintenance. Stuff does, and will, break. The newer the boat, the better maintained, the less quickly stuff will break. However you pay for that newer and better maintained boat.

I can't give you an idea on where the budget should be because I have not looked at that type of boat in your market, but $150k seems low for a boat that size that is updated and in good condition. As Sunchaser said, you will see the market range as you look at a number of boats.
Here is an example of what we are looking for - 1981 Cheoy Lee 46 LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This boat appeared to be well maintained. I agree, stuff will break, that is why I am trying to be reasonable with the budget.

And if you have done so and not found one that fit your criteria, then that only supports more that something has to be adjusted. Go back on Yachtworld raising your maximum in increments. Maybe search to see what is available between $150k and $175k or even $200k. Do it a little at a time.

Does your $150k include immediate work that would have to be done and upgrades or still allow for a substantial first year expenditure?

What you'll find as you run YW in price ranges above that you've been looking is slightly newer boats with each change.

Then when it seems like the perfect boat, don't waste a minute before you see it and if you like it put an offer on it. Think about the one that got away and how next time to get there four hours earlier. I have an acquaintance who keeps finding the perfect boat and then thinking about it, turning around to make an offer, and it's gone.
BandB

$150k is for the immediate purchase. Most likely there will be additional expenses to get it boat ready to cruise. Good advice on not wasting time. I will do my best to make sure the next one does not slip away.

The Ocean Alexander 50 Mark I could be a candidate for you to look at as well; they came in two and three stateroom models and are '80's vintage.

Island berths are generally much preferred (most folks don't like to crawl over or be crawled over by others) but would be difficult to find in the range you are looking.

I got a steal just from reading this. My boat lives like a 45ft. Huge galley and I mean huge. Ample salon that converts to additional sleeping, 2 large staterooms, 2 heads. Here is the deal:

The mercedes engine is stellar. (really all I cared about) Just general maintenance.

Here is what it needed:

3 weeks of fine cleaning. Dead cockroaches and all
New stove
New fridge
A slight galley remodel (why it had 3 sinks I will never know)
New plumbing fixtures
New heads
Curtains, deck furniture, some electronic fixing, new speakers, bedding and stocking galley, heads, staterooms.

I am not including all the brightwork painting I did. Yes I painted it. I am also not including fuel tanks which I believe are original. They could not be seen on survey nor can they be seen now.

Here is the good news. I did most of it myself including changing engine/generator fluids. In fact the only thing I didn't do myself was the fridge. Too heavy for me. I will also have it bottom painted in the bahamas next month.

Cost of vessel? 40,000.00
Immediate cost? 25,000.00
Upcoming bottom paint? 5,000.00
Eventual tank replacement? 10,000.00

Monthly recurring costs including marina, general maintenance, etc. 800.00-900.00

Making it my own? Priceless

A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Once you fall in love, you will pull the trigger. Good luck on your hunt.

I got a steal just from reading this. My boat lives like a 45ft. Huge galley and I mean huge. Ample salon that converts to additional sleeping, 2 large staterooms, 2 heads. Here is the deal:

The mercedes engine is stellar. (really all I cared about) Just general maintenance.

Here is what it needed:

3 weeks of fine cleaning. Dead cockroaches and all
New stove
New fridge
A slight galley remodel (why it had 3 sinks I will never know)
New plumbing fixtures
New heads
Curtains, deck furniture, some electronic fixing, new speakers, bedding and stocking galley, heads, staterooms.

I am not including all the brightwork painting I did. Yes I painted it. I am also not including fuel tanks which I believe are original. They could not be seen on survey nor can they be seen now.

Here is the good news. I did most of it myself including changing engine/generator fluids. In fact the only thing I didn't do myself was the fridge. Too heavy for me. I will also have it bottom painted in the bahamas next month.

Cost of vessel? 40,000.00
Immediate cost? 25,000.00
Upcoming bottom paint? 5,000.00
Eventual tank replacement? 10,000.00

Monthly recurring costs including marina, general maintenance, etc. 800.00-900.00

Making it my own? Priceless

A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Once you fall in love, you will pull the trigger. Good luck on your hunt.
Donna,

Sounds like you did... Hopefully we can find one too!

un...

Have you looked at / considered Bayliners?
I think there is a 4788 in Jax listed at $175 - convenient and might give you an idea if these could / should be on/off the list?!

un...

Have you looked at / considered Bayliners?
I think there is a 4788 in Jax listed at $175 - convenient and might give you an idea if these could / should be on/off the list?!
Are the Bayliners really set up for long term cruising? They seem to be more acclimated to dock life. It is close, so it may be worth taking a look at.

Are the Bayliners really set up for long term cruising? They seem to be more acclimated to dock life...
Uh oh, them`s fighting words.
I don`t own one, others here do, there`s a 4588 on my marina, they don`t have massive engines for planing. People do cruise them, esp 4788s. My first thought when you first posted.

Uh oh, them`s fighting words.
I don`t own one, others here do, there`s a 4588 on my marina, they don`t have massive engines for planing. People do cruise them, esp 4788s. My first thought when you first posted.

Haha! Not looking to pick a fight... just trying to edumacate myself :lol:

We ended up with a Gulfstar 44. With your budget you could get a Gulfstar 49 which is an amazing vessel that fits your specs. There is a half dozen available in Florida.

Bayliners are excellent cruising boats. Gulfstar is definitely worth considering as well.

Are the Bayliners really set up for long term cruising? They seem to be more acclimated to dock life. It is close, so it may be worth taking a look at.

Yes. The Hamiltons took their 4087 all over the PNW, operating more engine hours on that boat than most of us will. See more here:

Bayliner 4087 – MV Dirona

The ones I see in my area seem to be advertised in the low 100 range.

Best Wishes

I am still a few years off from buying but do a search on YW occasionally. I search a bunch of different ways and sometimes with unusual search terms. Yesterday I came across the listing below. 47Ft, $90K, looks very well maintained, pictures show covered slip, and lots of aesthetic updates (granite counter tops, flat screen TV, window blinds, and modernized kitchen.). If I was buying now I would seriously consider this gal.

1970 Chris Craft 47 Commander Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

When I first saw your post I also thought of the 4788 Bayliners. I knew a couple that had the 45' predecessor from 1985 that cruised it up and down the east coast. Bahamas and Keys in the winter and Maine in the summer. Also had a couple of friends with 4788 that cruised extensively. Don't write them off without a close look.
John

Seeking a liveaboard trawler with 3 staterooms. Preferably 2 queens and set of bunks or v birth twins. Not looking for a project, but rather a LRC that is ready to go. The more self sufficient the better ie. watermaker, solar, etc. Don't want to be tied to a marina dock.

Seeking a boat for my family with 2 kids for long term cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Prefer updated electronics and no teak decks. Economical low hp engines without a ton of hours. Preferably 1980's or newer.

Boats we like are the Cheoy Lee 46, Cheoy Lee 52, Defever 53. But we are open to any make that meets these requirements.

We live in Florida, so located in the SE US would be best.

Budget: 150k ish or less

Thanks!
This is Roger Hansen I live in St Augustine and have a 46 CHB trawler for sale we need to discuss. My number is 904-631-5377

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom