Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Model: Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
1982 KK42 Hull 28

This is a project boat in mid-restoration. She was purchased in Port Charlotte last year. I’m not even sure I’m selling her at this point but I figure I’ll post her here to see if there is any interest. I’ll be adding pics and details shortly. She’s a wonderful example of a classic 1982 Kadey-Krogen 42. PO purchased her and let her sit for 20 some odd years, merely turning over her engines periodically. She is the Starboard main berth model with forward master stateroom head.

When purchased the PO had already removed teak forward deck and replaced with new Marine ply and sealed. Aft deck all original. He also was fanatical about engine room cleanliness. You can literally clamber about the ER in a white t shirt and come up spotless. Engine is the original Lehman 120 with 1300 hours... (yep that’s right only 1300 hrs). Kohler 4kw genset and oddly enough, a Yanmar wing engine with 100 hrs. Here’s the oddity, the wing engine was never connected to a prop. She’s been used as a high speed battery charger! Anyway. P.O. also painted every bit of the exterior teak with Kilz. (Yeah I know). That’s all been stripped and sanded off. This boat literally has been in a time capsule since 1982.

My projects so far: 20k worth if professional Electrical rewiring. All interior cables replaced, main panel replaced with Blue Sea Panel. New xantrex 3012 inverter charger, new prosine aux charger for starting bank. All new Trojan 6 house bank. New starting bank, new wiring to and from all 3 engines. All oil and trans fluid changed....all 3 purr like kittens. All interior lights LED.... Cruisair 16btu being installed (originally no a/c).... all interior portlights glass replaced and resealed
Just changed all seals and fluid in Camano helm pumps. Replaced old Raytheon radar with Garmin 4212 and Garmin GMR-20 Radar, added GSD 22 sonar, Weather and XM. All new memory foam cushions and mattresses. 2 new Stressless Tan chairs and ottomans.

What’s wrong with her? Electric’s fine, motors fine, interior teak fine. Needs the pilothouse doors rebuilt (after stripping kilz discovered wood filler). Some softies on the aft end of the upper boat deck. Needs the diesel tanks drained and cleaned... (according to polisher, 20 years of amazon rain forest down there). No leaks in diesel tanks. Small leak halfway up starboard fresh water tank. No leaks in port tank.

Left to do: refinish all exterior teak, refinish parquet flooring, remove and replace and rebed all pilothouse windows...remove and replace all interior plumbing, change sink faucet. Locate Uline freezer to Match uline refrigerator-ice maker. Sand and seal teak decks...repaint whole boat stem to stern w awlgrip (flag blue hull with gold boot stripe?). I’ll publish an official listing with all the pertinent details shortly.

Looking for around 100k while projects underway.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

She’s in South Pasadena Florida....
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnummi View Post
This is a project boat in mid-restoration. She was purchased in Port Charlotte last year. I’m not even sure I’m selling her at this point but I figure I’ll post her here to see if there is any interest. I’ll be adding pics and details shortly. She’s a wonderful example of a classic 1982 Kadey-Krogen 42. PO purchased her and let her sit for 20 some odd years, merely turning over her engines periodically. She is the Starboard main berth model with forward master stateroom head.

When purchased the PO had already removed teak forward deck and replaced with new Marine ply and sealed. Aft deck all original. He also was fanatical about engine room cleanliness. You can literally clamber about the ER in a white t shirt and come up spotless. Engine is the original Lehman 120 with 1300 hours... (yep that’s right only 1300 hrs). Kohler 4kw genset and oddly enough, a Yanmar wing engine with 100 hrs. Here’s the oddity, the wing engine was never connected to a prop. She’s been used as a high speed battery charger! Anyway. P.O. also painted every bit of the exterior teak with Kilz. (Yeah I know). That’s all been stripped and sanded off. This boat literally has been in a time capsule since 1982.

My projects so far: 20k worth if professional Electrical rewiring. All interior cables replaced, main panel replaced with Blue Sea Panel. New xantrex 3012 inverter charger, new prosine aux charger for starting bank. All new Trojan 6 house bank. New starting bank, new wiring to and from all 3 engines. All oil and trans fluid changed....all 3 purr like kittens. All interior lights LED.... Cruisair 16btu being installed (originally no a/c).... all interior portlights glass replaced and resealed
Just changed all seals and fluid in Camano helm pumps. Replaced old Raytheon radar with Garmin 4212 and Garmin GMR-20 Radar, added GSD 22 sonar, Weather and XM. All new memory foam cushions and mattresses. 2 new Stressless Tan chairs and ottomans.

What’s wrong with her? Electric’s fine, motors fine, interior teak fine. Needs the pilothouse doors rebuilt (after stripping kilz discovered wood filler). Some softies on the aft end of the upper boat deck. Needs the diesel tanks drained and cleaned... (according to polisher, 20 years of amazon rain forest down there). No leaks in diesel tanks. Small leak halfway up starboard fresh water tank. No leaks in port tank.

Left to do: refinish all exterior teak, refinish parquet flooring, remove and replace and rebed all pilothouse windows...remove and replace all interior plumbing, change sink faucet. Locate Uline freezer to Match uline refrigerator-ice maker. Sand and seal teak decks...repaint whole boat stem to stern w awlgrip (flag blue hull with gold boot stripe?). I’ll publish an official listing with all the pertinent details shortly.

Looking for around 100k while projects underway.
Your a "reluctant seller" and with a lotsa work project boat to boot---LOL LOL
Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Your a "reluctant seller" and with a lotsa work project boat to boot---LOL LOL
"sand and seal teak deck" really?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
If I gaze into the crystal ball, I see myself in your shoes somewhere down the road, R. If you had it to do over again, what would you do to avoid considering a sale after all that work?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm, a boat with a little less restoration required. I saw “Stout”s web page which is the perfectly restored KK42...seems almost impossible to achieve that level of perfection.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
I'll second that, at least not without a ton of upgrade effort. Great mental model of the ideal, though.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Geolo: think fish guts / oil / Kilz soaked into teak deck. Option one: remove teak deck completely. Option two: light sanding down to un stained teak, Re coat with the dissolvable sealer (I’m having a senior moment as to Its name).
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Not to digress, but the teak deck sealer dejure is SEMCO... if necessary it can be easily removed with TSP.
1982 Krogen 42 #28
Lehman 120