• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Pacific Northwest cruising guides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogranjac1

Hi to everyone,
I am looking to buy some cruising guides of the Pacific Northwest - Vancouver - Juneau for my Christmas reading.
These guides will be secondhand copies purchased online probably through AbeBooks and similar as I'm in Australia.
Without wanting to start a protracted debate like ( which anchor is best ? ) would there be a couple of all time favorite author/issues ?
I prefer something powerboat/trawler centric if possible.
Thx regards BGJ

Waggoneers is the “go to” cruising bible of the PNW
Tons of info and pictures

Last edited:
Waggoneer is kind of the jeep of cruising guides for our areas. Not only does it list much about everywhere but it has great articles within the guide as well.

Fine Edge Publishing. They do the mentioned Waggoner Guides as well as an Ports and Passes (tide and current info from South Puget Sound to Glacier Bay Alaska as well as numbers, addresses etc for marine services, Moore ge fuel in that vast area). Don Douglass & Renee Hemingway Douglass eExploring Series is published by them also.a must. It breaks the BC and SE Alaska coasts into logical pieces in different volumes. Very valuable. They have a nice web site which details the items mentioned and more. FineEdge.com. You won’t find better.

Pros and cons: Waggoner does not cover much of AK, and focuses more on marinas. Douglass guides offer much more anchorage info, and cover all the Inside Passage.

Hi to everyone,
I am looking to buy some cruising guides of the Pacific Northwest - Vancouver - Juneau for my Christmas reading.
These guides will be secondhand copies purchased online probably through AbeBooks and similar as I'm in Australia.
Without wanting to start a protracted debate like ( which anchor is best ? ) would there be a couple of all time favorite author/issues ?
I prefer something powerboat/trawler centric if possible.
Thx regards BGJ

Thank you to the four gentleman that responded.
I managed to obtain the Hemingway guide -Gulf islands to Blunden Harbour copy and bought the Robert Beebee Bible as well. Both delivered to my doorstep for under A$40 .... obviously not brand new but gotta love the internet.

There are a number of cruising guides which I didn't mention as I'm not sure why you are reading these books. If it is for charter up here in God's country, then I get it. The reason I mention this is it determines what I recommend, here's one example: Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage (second edition) by Anne Vipond and William Kelly, published by Ocean Cruise Guides.

Anne Vipond also writes articles for Pacific Yachting magazine and I highly recommend this mag as it always has excellent articles about various anchorages, communities, gunkholes, hidden away goodies, great places to eat on the coast and islands, wineries on the coast and islands, great hiking on the islands, etc.

https://www.pacificyachting.com/

In fact I find I like to read mags, even if its an area I may not visit, for example I'm a big fan of Up Here, a mag for the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut primarily:

https://uphere.ca/

There are a number of cruising guides which I didn't mention as I'm not sure why you are reading these books. If it is for charter up here in God's country, then I get it. The reason I mention this is it determines what I recommend, here's one example: Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage (second edition) by Anne Vipond and William Kelly, published by Ocean Cruise Guides.

Anne Vipond also writes articles for Pacific Yachting magazine and I highly recommend this mag as it always has excellent articles about various anchorages, communities, gunkholes, hidden away goodies, great places to eat on the coast and islands, wineries on the coast and islands, great hiking on the islands, etc.

https://www.pacificyachting.com/ [I just checked this link to make sure it worked and I think there site crashed so I'll leave the link up and check back to see if it works again]

In fact I find I like to read mags, even if its an area I may not visit, for example I'm a big fan of Up Here, a mag for the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut primarily:

Last edited:

https://www.pacificyachting.com/ [I just checked this link to make sure it worked and I think there site crashed so I'll leave the link up and check back to see if it works again]

Hi RSN,
Answer to the question why I'm reading these guides is - I want to see where Durante is cruising and anchoring in his travels in the Helmsman JD.... LOL he's out there !!!
The other reason is as I have been to Canada a few times - seen the Maritines and Newfie loved it, and visited B.C. - Prince Rupert and briefly in Alaska.
I have this wild dream that I just might buy a trailerable boat (purely for ease of winter storage) and go do some gunkholing around the inside passage. (Not interested in charter - could buy a boat after a few months expensive charter fees.)
Would be kinda nice having Nimiane on the east coast of Australia and another boat in Canada. Just need something with HEAT !! Lol.

Last edited:
Not exactly a cruising guide but a great read about the area. The book is called, The Curve of Time.

Trailering is a great way to cover the vast area from Seattle up to Alaska and save moorage fees. My suggestion is you keep it where I keep my boat in Courtney (Comox) BC as you are very roughly halfway to everywhere. Go South and you can go to Puget Sound, San Juan Islands, and Gulf Islands. Or you can just cross the Strait of Georgia and you are close to Jarvis Inlet and Princess Louisa Inlet, or cross and go north into Desolation.

Go further north and you are into the Broughtons, further North and Prince Rupert, etc. And you can jump all over with your trailered boat to jump off points that are close to your desired destination.

Totally agree with rsn48!
Currently keep my boat in Cambel River, just a bit away from him.
Truly are so close to N or S cruising grounds!
Great place to start from!

And along the same vein, "Fishing with John", by Edith Iglauer.

These two books give a good idea of the coast.
Not exactly a cruising guide but a great read about the area. The book is called, The Curve of Time.

Don't skip out on the official Sailing Directions. A bit of a boring story line but great information on every specific place. Two volumes will cover from the Washington State border to just past the north end of Vancouver Island; PAC 201 for the southern portion up to Campbell River and B.C. Vol. 1 for the northern portion to Cape Caution. 1575780260364.jpeg1575780408947.jpeg

Another useful text is by Kevin Monahan called Local Knowledge, A Skipper's Reference. Tacoma to Ketchikan. It is "a collection of critical resources for navigating the waters of the Inside Passage".

This book should be onboard every coastal cruising boat in the area. Should be memorized by every navigator too LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom