Old 11-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Coronado
Vessel Name: Baba Yaga
Vessel Model: 1979 Californian 34 LRC
Looking for Perkins Valve Covers

Iím searching for replacement valve covers for my Perkins 6.354. I need two but would settle for one also. If you have a couple laying around or know someone who does please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #2
Guru

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Hi Baba,

S&W Diesel (A legacy Perkins dealer) in Wilmington, California near Los Angeles (310-835-3155) has at least one, or at least did as recently as late spring. If you call about it, ask for Scott. These folks were my local Perkins dealer when I had my boat near there (and, I still order parts from them).

The prior owner of my boat ordered two (used/good condition) from TAD Diesel (804-642-9296) in 2015 when he rebuilt the engines. Not sure if they regular stock them -- but they seemed like something they kept in stock from scavanged engines.

I'd try giving those two folks a call.

Cheers!
-Greg

gkesden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:23 AM   #3
Guru

Hi Baba,

BTW, what is wrong with your valve covers? Are they leaking? Depending upon how bad they are off, if the screws have been over-tightened over the years and bent them, or if the prop-side is leaking from not being true, a lot of times they can be carefully straightened. S&W's mechanic, Chris, ended up doing this for my old boat.

I think he said he had metal stiffeners that sit atop the cover in the grooves where they are screwed down that he could use to help stop leaks, too.

The valve cover leak I had on my old boat's port engine was easily the most frustrating repair I've ever had. It must have taken half a dozen attempts to get it to quit oozing.

Their next move was going to be replacing the valve cover. And, they had prepared it to install (blasted, painted). But, they didn't need to do it. I had called them about it in May and plan to buy it next time I place an order, just to have.

But, if someone who needs it gets it before my storage locker -- the world is better off.

(Yes, I am crazy about such things as valve covers oozing).
Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Hi Baba,

S&W Diesel (A legacy Perkins dealer) in Wilmington, California near Los Angeles (310-835-3155) has at least one, or at least did as recently as late spring. If you call about it, ask for Scott. These folks were my local Perkins dealer when I had my boat near there (and, I still order parts from them).

The prior owner of my boat ordered two (used/good condition) from TAD Diesel (804-642-9296) in 2015 when he rebuilt the engines. Not sure if they regular stock them -- but they seemed like something they kept in stock from scavanged engines.

I'd try giving those two folks a call.

Cheers!
-Greg

Greg,

Thanks for all the information, contacts, and phone numbers. I will reach out and contact them both.

To answer your other question, Iím lucky enough NOT to have any problems with my current set. Iím looking for an extra set for a project Iím working on in the engine room. My goal is to have a set I can play with while not removing the current ones from the boat. Essentially, I can still cruise while the other set is being worked with, then I sell my extra set when the project is completed.

Thanks again,
Carl
Old 11-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
Guru

Hey Carl,

Out of curiosity, may I ask, what is your project?

Cheers!
-Greg
Old 11-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
Hey Carl,

Out of curiosity, may I ask, what is your project?

Cheers!
-Greg

Of course, Iím in the middle of replacing all hoses, clamps, checking, waterproofing, and cleaning all electrical connections on the engines. Then itís a total repaint on engines and engine room. Then the hoses get labeled with directional colored flow decals along with aluminum tags on all working valves etc. along with proper labels on all electrical in the area. Iím entertaining the idea of some type of plating on the valve covers, I havenít decided yet though, and not the main idea of the engine room but something I wanted to think about. I know to the purists a color change is not liked but I canít stand the Perkins blue color and think it dates the engines and makes them look like tractor engines, not that itís bad but they arenít in a tractor. I will do a photo log of the process and will post the good, the bad, and the finished product when Iím finished. The engine paint comes in a few days so I will start then. Iím also doing the same with my Yanmar genset.