Old 11-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Grand Rivers, KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
1989 Carver Californian items needed

I need for the port side wing door an original door lock with key . It has AGE locks and I do not have a key for the Port side. I can lock it from the inside but it would be nice to have a key. Also needed for the same boat is the lights for each side of the make-up mirror in the Aft stateroom. If anyone knows of a source for old Californian parts, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wanted to revive this post. Does anyone know where a Carver Californian has went to die. I would like to see if I could buy a couple of items. Copied from original post.
I need for the port side wing door an original door lock with key . It has AGE locks and I do not have a key for the Port side. I can lock it from the inside but it would be nice to have a key. Also needed for the same boat is the lights for each side of the make-up mirror in the Aft stateroom. If anyone knows of a source for old Californian parts, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Are you sure you can't find a replacement in another brand, like Perko? Why does it have to be that specific lock? Why not simply change the entire lockset?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have looked and have not been able to find anything similar to the original locks. They are a cylinder type lock. Everything else I have locked at will require modifying the door and jam. I really didn't want to do that. I can lock one of them from the inside and the other with a key now. They are not keyed the same. I was just trying to find an old one like it if it had a key. The lights I am looking for have to be slim, like 3" wide by 18" long. They mount between a vanity mirror and cabinet door in the aft stateroom. I thought surely there has to be a place these old boats got o die.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #5

City: Maple Bay BC
Take the lock to a locksmith, give them the key and they can make your lock fit your existing key. It's what they do.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I am just thinking out loud here, but maybe join the NW Navigators Facebook page and ask them. Since the Carver Californians and Navigators share a bloodline, Id bet someone over there might know.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks to both of you for the last responses. I originally tried the locksmith idea. There are not many true locksmiths in my area. I did take the old lock that I don't have a key to and the old lock that I do have a key to and he took them apart and was going to try to re-key them alike. Unfortunately, because of the "AGE" brand and the age of the lock, he was not able to re-key them. This "AGE" brand is a cylinder type lock that was made in an Asian country. I searched the internet and I actually bought a new old stock that was the right lock and had a key. That is the one I have with a key. It was still in an old box. It is an "AGE", no. 2846, cylinder dead bolt. I have a picture of the box, it has Japanese or Chinese writing on the box as well as the description above. If you know of a reputable locksmith who would be able to re-key them I would appreciate there contact info. I have tried but most of the so-called locksmiths in my are are only able to legally break into your car if you locked your keys in it. I tried to upload the picture of the box. Thanks, Charlie
Attached Images