Trying to find this motor sailor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Dryade
Vessel Make
Trawler 72
If someone here could help us .
In the begining of the eighties we manage this motor sailor for her second owner.
She was bought and the third owner refit her in Amels shipyard (in Holland), after that we saw her for sale in 1994
Unfortunately the last news we found concerning her was on this "annual report" joint at this message .
If someone have some better and newest news concerning this motor sailor he will be welcomed :smitten:

24m length , ketch rigged, gardner 8 cylinder ,name "Tangier" , built in New Zeeland in the seventies.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...orfeiture/Documents/FY 1995 Annual Report.pdf

Attachments

• 2013-11-11 14_06_43-FY 1995 Annual Report.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    2013-11-11 14_06_43-FY 1995 Annual Report.pdf - Adobe Reader.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 2013-11-11 14_03_36-FY 1995 Annual Report.pdf - Adobe Reader.png
    2013-11-11 14_03_36-FY 1995 Annual Report.pdf - Adobe Reader.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 249
Looks like an awesome vessel. Good luck finding her!

We hoppe get news

Looks like an awesome vessel. Good luck finding her!

She is (was !?) a heavy , slow motor sailor.
Always "motor sailing" we just try one time "just with sails" 5.5 kts.... with good wind.
Heavy 109 T full loaded
8.5 kts under Gardner at 750 rpm
When we manage her the arrengements was "italian motor boat styled" white carpet, white leather, wood painted ....white.
But during the refit in Amels yards the third owner change totaly the style to : bronze, varnished walls...very classic old looking.Put bimini, furling for jib
But she was built in steel and after all this years may be she was already scrapped ....

From the Crew of Hoa
actualy heading (slowly) north

"Passagemaker" cherchez l'erreur ! - Trawler long-cours

If someone here could help us . In the begining of the eighties we manage this motor sailor for her second owner. She was bought and the third owner refit her in Amels shipyard (in Holland), after that we saw her for sale in 1994 Unfortunately the last news we found concerning her was on this "annual report" joint at this message . If someone have some better and newest news concerning this motor sailor he will be welcomed :smitten: 24m length , ketch rigged, gardner 8 cylinder ,name "Tangier" , built in New Zeeland in the seventies. http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/terrorist-illicit-finance/Asset-Forfeiture/Documents/FY%201995%20Annual%20Report.pdf

Do you know who designed her? Don Brooke designed a number of nz built steel ph ketches in that era. Can't see the transom in the pics but he did have a few that looked similar. She looks bigger than 80 with 4 deckhouse windows plus the big dog house.

Via iPad using Trawler

There is a large steel motor sailer sitting at Georgetown Yacht Basin for years. Ivan is Dock Master at 410-648-5112 in Maryland.

Lukely no !

Sounds like you may have worked for mr jenks.
Here's what apparently happened to him and the boat: see page 2 An Auction With a Big-Screen Plot: Drugs and Diamonds, Agents and Arrests - New York Times

Sent from my iPhone

We work for the second owner apparently he sold directly the Tangier to Mr Jenks.
The second owner was older (64 ) and a French guy named Guegen.
She is realy 80' lenght , she got a classic transom (not double ended), the masts was in steel an the smaller was used as exhaust for the engines !
Sure Mr Jenks put lot of money inside because when we saw her for sale in magazine ti was difficult to reconyse the arrengements totaly different style.
For the "bullet proof portholes" it was from the origine of the building, made with the same glass than banks

Thanks for your link

Last edited:
one time "just with sails" 5.5 kts.... with good wind.

The designer or builder should be shot , that is very poor .

one time "just with sails" 5.5 kts.... with good wind.

The designer or builder should be shot , that is very poor .

It certainly is poor for a boat of that size. She appears to have lots of sail area. Something isn't quite right.
Even my little motorsailer will do 5 1/2 knots under sail with a decent wind.

This "average" speed was downwind between St Lucia to Los Testigos.
When we was on board the main mast height was only 22m .(may be higher on this photo ?)
And it was the first (and the only) time she cruise just under sail.
She is a heavy displacement boat with big whetted surface ( long keel and 2,65 m draft)

summer 2010 before work began - Tangier

These were taken in the summer of 2010 at the georgetown yacht basin. The current owner (pictured - older gentleman) Tom and myself. Getting my opinion on ... well... the act of love to refurb her. She at this time would have been scrapped.

The gardner Engines were the first thing I refurb as the outside was getting stripped and sounded for thickness and weakness in the hull.

Attachments

• tangier - full.jpg
    tangier - full.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 675
  • tangier - side.jpg
    tangier - side.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 663
  • tangier aft.jpg
    tangier aft.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 639
Oh my god !

Some lady take years with elegance , but "our" poor Tangier clearly show the years:mad:

The bimini was fitted by the third owner.
Clearly the waterline show the damage of the corrosion on
her plating.:eek:
I don't know what happens between her refurbishing in Amels Shipyards and the buy by your friend.
May be waiting to long time somewhere.
Sometime in France we can buy boat confiscated by customs , and they can waiting years for auction
Thanks for the photos and for the new of our old friend.

Thanks

Some lady take years with elegance , but "our" poor Tangier clearly show the years:mad:

The bimini was fitted by the third owner.
Clearly the waterline show the damage of the corrosion on
her plating.:eek:
I don't know what happens between her refurbishing in Amels Shipyards and the buy by your friend.
May be waiting to long time somewhere.
Sometime in France we can buy boat confiscated by customs , and they can waiting years for auction
Thanks for the photos and for the new of our old friend.

Thanks to Ron T and Sharkins to put us on the "piste" (sorry I don't know the right word in English !) on the track , on the way ? Of our old friend.
When we was Young, beautiful (very of course !!).
Nostalgie, if you can get more infos don't hesitate to send them to us .
I found some photos made in 1983/84 I will send her as soon as I get a scanner.

The pilar behin you on the third photo was originaly the base of an "hudge" SSB antenna, and at the base was a big box for the tunning of the SSB.
In the wheelhouse may be 20 % of the surface was taken by this SSB and a very big wheather fax !
We had no trouble with the gardner , just the chain who move the hydraulique pump for the gearbox, broken once on the main engine .
And on the smaller Gardner the starter was rewired in Italy (before we work on this boat) and misconnected Inside after that this starter broken some pignos until we work and found this mistake .
Did they fit a bowthruster during the refit in Amel's shipyard ?
Because in some condition of Wind this single screw could be difficult to move in close quater.

Tangier

I was captain of this vessel in the Caribbean, in the early 80's for Mr. Gaguin. I loved the boat.
She was a Brooks boat. Sailed quite well before rigged as staysl ketch. Best handling sailing vessel I ever operated under power, but she was 15 turns lock to lock on the helm. Bullet proof boat; I would have taken her to Antarctica. Never had a break down or major problem with her. Full machine shop in engine room, which was fun. Dive compressor. Two 498 pound anchors with stud link chain, so hurricanes weren't much of a problem.
I'd buy her in a heartbeat and run Antarctica charters, but I guess she's gone; how sad.

Last edited:
Ancientmariner,
Yes - I bet she was a beauty in her day. It must bring a tear to your eye, to see it fall into disrepair. I guess you still have the memories.....

Unfortunatly

I was captain of this vessel in the Caribbean, in the early 80's for Mr. Gaguin. I loved the boat.
She was a Brooks boat. Sailed quite well before rigged as staysl ketch. Best handling sailing vessel I ever operated under power, but she was 15 turns lock to lock on the helm. Bullet proof boat; I would have taken her to Antarctica. Never had a break down or major problem with her. Full machine shop in engine room, which was fun. Dive compressor. Two 498 pound anchors with stud link chain, so hurricanes weren't much of a problem.
I'd buy her in a heartbeat and run Antarctica charters, but I guess she's gone; how sad.

When we got Tangier in charge (Captain/Mechanican and hostess) in 84 and 85
She was in poor condition anchored in "Blue Lagoon " in St Lucia .
Nothing working in engine room (the former captain take his salary but when the owner was not on board , the captain sailing on his own smaller sailing boat)
Main engine can't start because batteries was empty, the bigger generator can't start because starter was broken, smaller generator could start ...if battery was not also empty...
Our first week on board we pass to find the problem of each :
- the Onan always overheating ....the sea water intake was blocked by rust on the last 10 cm
- the Gardner (for generator ) always broken his starter gear, after remove the starter found the wiring redone years before was wrong (the first step for engage turn on the wrong side , it means for example for engage turn left and for start , when fully engage, turn right ...) after change the wiring the starter work even with a "rebuilt" gear" made on board. Also this engine take his diesel from a day tanks but the day tanks was near the same level than the high pressure pump and no "primary pump".It means when the day tanks was not full : if you stop injection on the first cylinder the second one the rpm decrease clearly ..but when you stop on the fourth one nothing change... after put an "online" primary pump the fourth cylinder works .
After that we could move the boat from his anchorage to the wharf at "A frame restaurant".
But it take week to clean the engine room, oil+water emulsion under the floor.Clean engine and engine room was a big job.
After that clean and repair the black water tanks :eek:

When finally we arrive at the stainless steel and teak deck it was "a piece of cake"

But with my wife we like this (very) heavy boat , clearly a motor sailor.
Because under sails between St Lucia to Margarita ....we are not able to go faster than 5,5 kts just under sails :ermm:
I was happy to eared about her , but disappointed to see her now with her rusty water line with deep mark of corrosion.

Sure if we saw her when she was for sale we bought her, even with her well-known "problem" (absolutely not a sailing boat, steel mast, (with exhaust in the misaim mast : corrosion of the mast already replaced in the early 80) so heavy 109t ! corrosion in black water tanks, nice strong windlass but under powered ...)
But a boat for travelling slowly around the world without anxiety :dance:

The monster motorsailer is still there. In fact my boat is on stands right behind it or the winter. It has not been scraped and someone was on board last friday night

here are pictures taken today 3/16/2017

Attachments

• 20170316_162916.jpg
    20170316_162916.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 20170316_162725.jpg
    20170316_162725.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 539
Normally next week we will going back to France and try to fond olds photos.
But after we left her the new owner make a refit in Amels (Nederland) and change totally the decoration inside , before she was "modern" (for this time) with white carpet,woods paint in white etc in the deck saloon.
After the refit the salon was "old" fashion" with real wood, brass etc

Motorsailer "Tangier".

Hi,
I am writing on behalf of my friend Tom, who is the owner of the motorsailer "Tangier".
Currently he is working on the boat.
He told me, he is looking for an individual, who loves sailing and would be interested helping him, to restore "Tangier" to his former glory.

Please inquire, if that would interest you restoring this boat.

Thank you!
OrcasIsland

Re: Tangier!

Hi,
thank you for your reply to my post from yesterday.
The owner is looking for someone, who would be interested in restoring the boat and become partners, as this boat is very special. He is currently many days of the week working on the boat and you could talk to him there.

Thank you!
OrcasIsland

Re: Motorsailer Tangier!

Hi,
I forgot to mention that the owner Tom is of Russian decent, his father was white Russian and his mother came from Poland. He was born in Munich after the war and then the family came to the US.
Saw that you are from Poland, so you have similar background.

Thank you!
OrcasIsland

Back
Top Bottom