Sailing a motorsailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Normally I motorsail my boat or just motor it because it seems the wind is always on my nose.
I’ve just returned from a nice cruise where it was perfect for sailing so I shut down the engines for two days and cruised home under sail power alone.

With 20 knot easterly winds blowing fairly consistently, I decided not to reef the 200 square foot gaff rigged main. I cruised north averaging 4.5 to 5.5 knots.

I tried to keep the heel to about 15 degrees by adjusting the main sheet as necessary but had her over to almost 30 degrees with the autopilot trying to hold a dead straight course. I then learned to shut off the autopilot and let the boat sail itself. It held a steady course most of the time but when I got gusts to 30+ knots, she turned into the weather reducing the heel and then continued on its original path after the gust. I loved it.

I anchored the night in a great protected spot during easterly blows. 56673323653__62EED6F4-DE1A-4A90-B77C-53A3A0ADB920.JPG

It is one of my favourite anchorages. The cliffs offer great protection and are a wonderful backdrop. Usually we have the spot to ourself. Here’s a pic on a sunnier day. IMG_0336.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my. That’s awesome.

How deep is it next to shore? Can you jump the cliffs?

Just around the corner is a popular cliff jumping spot for the local thrill seekers.

There are also a few caves in the area. Some have an under water entry which require a short dive to access but can be done without scuba gear at low tide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom