Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Inland and River Motorsailer

We are looking to retire in the next year or two. After retirement we will be living in the Pickwick lake area on the Tennessee River. Planned cruising will be on the river/lake systems, up and down there Tenn-Tom to Gulf, longer trips to the Keys/Bahamas, and the Loop at some point.

I like what I see looking at motorsailers. I have been reading some on the Schucker 436. It has 3.6" draft, 40-42' bridge clearance, decent size single diesel, sails more for motor assistance, deck stepped mast, and good price range (I am seeing 50K- 85K in searches).

Curious on others thoughts on a motorsailer for inland/river? Also, suggestions on other possible make/models?
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
What is the bridge clearance in the area you plan to sail? That would be my only concern about that boat.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
There are some very nice Schuckers available. Shop around as there is significant variation. Some are factory fitout; some were sold for fitout by owner.
If you plan on a lot of inland river use, look for one set up with a self tacking job. They’re very handy in narrow water.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Inland and River Motorsailer

I really like the Schuckers. There are some nicely refit ones out there at times . I looked at them pretty hard before getting my boat.

My boat is pretty similar to a Schucker— 4’ draft and a only a 40’ mast. The self tending jib def comes in very handy since I often single hand my boat.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
What is the bridge clearance in the area you plan to sail? That would be my only concern about that boat.

David
My understanding from reading info from loopers is that lowest clearance from Kentucky Lake to Mobile Bay is 52 feet.

Not sure what the height limit and furthest point if cruise the Tennessee River toward Knoxville, Cumberland River toward Nashville, or up the Ohio.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
My friends live on a Schucker (me too, but mine's a mite too small for you!) ... anyway, if you'd like a look see at their boat this article may be of interest to you:

On Island Time (Schucker 440 motorsailer) article on janice142

Island time is a 440, and she's a real beauty.
This is Cheryl and Fred's boat:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Wind is pretty unreliable in rivers and smaller lakes. Land and trees break up the wind, makes for erratic sailing. No problem in big lakes and wide rivers.

I consider motorsailers like flying cars. Sure it can do both (motor or sail; fly or drive), but neither does both very well.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Wind is pretty unreliable in rivers and smaller lakes. Land and trees break up the wind, makes for erratic sailing. No problem in big lakes and wide rivers.
Thanks, Think you misunderstand my intentions. Not really wanting the sail for main propulsion on the rivers. I realize that is erratic and way more tacking that I am willing to do. My thoughts were to have the larger motor in a motorsailer for the river.

When I retire, I will be at the mouth of the Tenn-Tom as my home port. I am thinking I will use the sail assistance mainly after heading down the Tenn-Tom and get on the Gulf, motor mainly on the river, and maybe fair weather sail on larger inland lakes (Pickwick, Kentucky, Nickajack, etc).
Old 11-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
I am thinking I will use the sail assistance mainly after heading down the Tenn-Tom and get on the Gulf, motor mainly on the river, and maybe fair weather sail on larger inland lakes (Pickwick, Kentucky, Nickajack, etc).
Sounds workable. Good luck Cap'n.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

I consider motorsailers like flying cars. Sure it can do both (motor or sail; fly or drive), but neither does both very well.

I often read or hear this quote but I don’t really agree. Most motorsailers don’t sail as well as a true sail boat due to less sail area, but why shouldn’t it motor well just because it has a mast and sails.

My boat is one of 3 motorsailers built by the manufacturer but they built over a hundred full displacement cruiser style power boats which were very successful. The only criticism of these cruiser models was their tendency to roll. This issue is solved with the addition of a sail and a bit of ballast. I don’t see any negatives as I don’t have limitations in height clearance. There is some additional maintenance but any stablizer system requires maintenance.

I see the addition of sails only as a plus.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Guru

I don’t consider my boat a true motorsailer because it really doesn’t sail well using the sails alone, but more of a displacement trawler with sail assist/stabilization.

We looked at the different stabilizer options but felt a smallish sail rig was the best option. Paravanes would have provided more roll control than sails, but the install on my boat would be problematic and I didn’t want to lose the speed since I’m already a slow boat. Plus, the thought of a get home system (or get somewhere is more accurate if enough wind) seemed appealing.

I think (but have no real data) that most “motorsailers” probably use the sails along with the engine at the same time predominantly for roll control and maybe a little extra boost from the wind, so they understand the limitations and are not trying to be the best sailboat out there or the largest motor yacht/trawler/whatever.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Guru

Just a thought if the boat is at some point going to do the loop, the mast has to come down for the Eire canal about {18 to 19 feet) Possibly the Trent Severn, And for sure Chicago (about 17 to 18 ft.) Sailboats do it every year so its a nuisance not impossible.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...w-rig-3175652/

Motosailors can be beautiful and both motor or sail well, if you have the dough. This one is a beauty.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
Just a thought if the boat is at some point going to do the loop, the mast has to come down for the Eire canal about {18 to 19 feet) Possibly the Trent Severn, And for sure Chicago (about 17 to 18 ft.) Sailboats do it every year so its a nuisance not impossible.
Thanks. I figured we would have to drop a mast on the loop. But want to make sure I find something I can go up and down the Tenn-Tom without having to drop the mast.

Pretty sure that is going to limit me to a boat with bridge clearance under 52ft. I am not sure what my limit for bridge clearance if I go on Tennessee to Knoxville or Cumberland to Nashville.

Anyone know the limits on Tennessee, Cumberland, Ohio? Should I ask about those limits on a separate thread?
Old 11-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #15

City: Sequim Wa
Vessel Name: Michelle
Vessel Model: 1977 Schucker 436
I know this is an old thread but I’m curious about the mast height on a 1977 Schucker 436. I have seen anywhere from 40 to 47 feet. Did Schucker have that many options on mast height?
I also see the draft noted from 3’2” to 3’8” I guess that could depend on interiors and engine selection.
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
IZ
Having cruised the inland river systems and Great Lakes extensively, a motor sailer is not as well suited for the task as dozens as other brands and models, Can it be done? Sure but by making too many compromises IMHO.

Ideally, a vessel that can easily go upriver is the best. This requires a vessel capable of besting 10 knots efficiently and with ease. A trip to the marinas around St Charles, MO or the Great Lakes will provide you a look at what tens of thousands locals use.

Nothing beats the ability of a vessel to anchor in 4' or nose onto a sandbar and enjoy a lazy Mississippi River afternoon while the crew wades ashore.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing

Take a look at this 40 ft Island Trader . I tried to buy one a few years back. I like the layout . It’s a beamy boat with wide transom . The aft deck is huge . She looks really comfortable.
We are on the Tennessee River at Paris Landing . I like the salty lines and would still consider one of these.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
Guru

That’s a cool looking boat. I anchored out next to one once in Lake Worth and it looked super interesting.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I can see wanting a motor sailor out on the coast but if my cruising grounds were inland waterways, no thanks.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #20
Guru

City: Here
Schucker soldboats.com data for your reading pleasure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schucker.pdf (128.2 KB, 57 views)
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote