Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #61
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Nice photos. I am jealous of your cruising grounds.

I have heard good things about JD, and I suppose there is good reason there is a lot of green and yellow heavy machinery on farms. IE, reliable and durable.

We ended up going with a Cummins 6.7/380HP for our boat that is currently construction.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #62

City: Seattle, WA
I'll comment from the builder's perspective -- this John Deere 4045 was a challenge. It was a tight fit, and for a variety of "first installation" reasons there were some problems that had to be worked out after the arrival of the boat in Seattle. Mr. Durant was patient as we worked through them with the local distributor (who supplied the engine) and their Seattle service agent. And we then went through a couple of iterations to get the prop pitched correctly. There have been a couple of problems with the engine since Mr/ Durant's departure that required warranty support -- one resulting from an installation issue (again because this was a different engine with different installation protocols) and another an engine electrical controls / computer error.

No doubt the second installation will be much smoother because of learning.

Despite the tight fit, access in the engineroom and around the engine is surprisingly good (which helped a lot with making the work straightforward).

Good news is it works well aboard the 31. The boat feels sturdy and determined underway! And the end result is quieter and smoother than I had personally expected.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Hobomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobomack View Post

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers
Since Seasall was brought up as a topic, can you elaborate on your experience there. I would be comfortable with them on the East Coast and in FL where they have quite a large number of support and service centers, but how does one get service in the PNW with no service centers there?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #64

City: Seattle, WA
VERY pleased and impressed with the engine. Smooth, quiet, with easy-to-access service points. We researched this engine and its track record in Europe, and more recently its growing popularity as a re-power choice in British Columbia. I think that this engine is a real winner. "What about service?" is a legitimate question. The US distributor (Performance Diesel) in Houston stocks parts and provides responsive expertise. They have been working to develop the dealer network, and have taken recommendations from us (based upon where boats are located or could be located) to solicit new dealers. In my opinion an established engine dealer with other lines should be receptive to these overtures because the Hyundai Seasall is a good choice for repowers -- footprint, cost, reliability -- and we're expecting that the network will expand. There is an agent in Seattle, for instance (Coastal Marine) and I understand that Cook Engine in Portland is joining the network. And of course a Northwest cruiser operating in BC is covered by an established presence there.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers
Hobomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobomack View Post
VERY pleased and impressed with the engine. Smooth, quiet, with easy-to-access service points. We researched this engine and its track record in Europe, and more recently its growing popularity as a re-power choice in British Columbia. I think that this engine is a real winner. "What about service?" is a legitimate question. The US distributor (Performance Diesel) in Houston stocks parts and provides responsive expertise. They have been working to develop the dealer network, and have taken recommendations from us (based upon where boats are located or could be located) to solicit new dealers. In my opinion an established engine dealer with other lines should be receptive to these overtures because the Hyundai Seasall is a good choice for repowers -- footprint, cost, reliability -- and we're expecting that the network will expand. There is an agent in Seattle, for instance (Coastal Marine) and I understand that Cook Engine in Portland is joining the network. And of course a Northwest cruiser operating in BC is covered by an established presence there.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers
Yes, I noticed the BC coverage. Very well covered as is the East Coast of the US. If I was cruising from BC south down the coast though I'd be a little concerned. No question Hyundai has the experience and expertise to build a great engine. I've also noticed how much their network has grown just in the past year.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #66
Guru

City: Pembroke
Vessel Model: Helmsman Camano among several
OK...
Back to regular scheduled programming 😄

Why I love the PNW
Pictures taken "just now"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5310.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	69042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5309.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	69043  
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #67
PDI

City: MI
Performance Diesel is the USA distributor for the Hyundai product line. We have been supporting this line since 2015 when Hyundai stepped into the US market with their EPA Tier 3 product line. The S series engine has been a very popular engine due to the fact that it is almost a direct replacement for the 5.7 gas engine, and this engine has been installed in wakeboard vessels, along with small water taxis for the overseas market.

The engineering and support for Hyundai engines has been outstanding. Currently, parts are readily available for all the Hyundai engines sold into the US market. All of the feedback on the S series engine is stated very simply as; smooth, quiet, outstanding acceleration, phenomenal fuel burn. I would highly recommend to the trawler market that they experience the Helmsman 31 with the Hyundai engine. With the diesel market changing so quickly due to the EPA standards and the advancement in the common rail fuel systems, it is exciting to see all of the changes in the small diesel engine the last couple of years.

If you have any further questions regarding the Hyundai SeasAll engines you can contact us at 281-464-2345. We look forward to talking to you in the near future.
PDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #68
Guru

Perhaps a new thread on Diesel engines or SeaSALL engines is in order...
Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDI View Post
Performance Diesel is the USA distributor for the Hyundai product line. We have been supporting this line since 2015 when Hyundai stepped into the US market with their EPA Tier 3 product line. The S series engine has been a very popular engine due to the fact that it is almost a direct replacement for the 5.7 gas engine, and this engine has been installed in wakeboard vessels, along with small water taxis for the overseas market.

The engineering and support for Hyundai engines has been outstanding. Currently, parts are readily available for all the Hyundai engines sold into the US market. All of the feedback on the S series engine is stated very simply as; smooth, quiet, outstanding acceleration, phenomenal fuel burn. I would highly recommend to the trawler market that they experience the Helmsman 31 with the Hyundai engine. With the diesel market changing so quickly due to the EPA standards and the advancement in the common rail fuel systems, it is exciting to see all of the changes in the small diesel engine the last couple of years.

Nice little advertisement. Now, you missed the one key point about service of the Hyundai Seasall engines. There is no factory authorized service nor trained personnel on the West Coast, between Seattle and Panama City, Panama. I think highly of the engine and have said nothing otherwise. However, if I was purchasing and Helmsman and heading down the west coast and going to spend the next five years in Southern California and Mexico, then I'd have a concern. I'm not saying persons not trained on it, couldn't service it. I'm sure most good mechanics could.

It's also not a criticism of Performance Diesel as I own several MAN's and know them well. I believe coverage of the non-covered areas will happen soon. But I'm just reporting on the picture as it is today. If I'm incorrect, please have Seasall correct their site as that's my source of information.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #70
Guru

I began this thread to share the travels of my Helmsman Camano "Emma B", to show the beauty of the PNW and that you don't need a large trawler to enjoy it.
A site such as this is much better served if all who are contributing to "diesel talk" started a new thread. I say this because anyone looking for information or opinions on diesels would look under whatever heading you choose to call the new thread. I doubt anyone seeking such information would look under "the adventures of Emma B"
Both threads would be better served.....
Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #71
Guru

Speaking of cruising...
It's been an unbelievable season for whales, sealions, porpoises etc.
We had Orcas on Johnstone Strait yesterday, porpoises several times today. As well...passing through Gillard and the Yuks just now, we had several sealions right at the boat and about a quarter mile later a pod of Orcas.
Truly feel blessed at the scenery and sea life up here!!
Bonus is it is all happening with date squares baking in the oven (seriously)
Life don't get much better 😃
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5319.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	69046  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #72
Guru

Orcas and galley slave 😄😄

I mean commander..... 😄😄
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5323.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	69047  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #73
Guru

Orcas today at the Yuks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5325.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	69048  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #74
Guru

I should say that the new galley design on the Helmsman Camano is very functional. The fridge with large separate freezer is a treat...as is the 3 burner stove/oven. I liked the fact we could pick out the corion counter colours as well.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #75

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Durant
Thanks for posting these great pictures. We cruised the same area for 5 weeks this summer, mid July through mid August. Had a great trip, saw many of the same places but it seems youíre encountering more wildlife at this time of year.
Iím envious. Would love to be out there.
Doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #76
Guru

Thanks Doug
This is my 10th year cruising out here and have never seen as many Orcas or Humpbacks. Feeling very blessed for the great weather and sightings!
A wonderful time of year to be out as you feel it is all your own.
Hopefully we will cross paths some year.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #77
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Sir - thank you for sharing your adventure. Please keep it coming!

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #78
Guru

Durant F, May I say I`m enjoying the pictorial story too. Keep em coming, don`t get distracted. Our cruise north of Vancouver was on a ship, thoroughly enjoyable but I think sea wildlife get closer to smaller craft. They sure did at Icy Strait Point.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 AM   #79
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
thanks for sharing.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #80
Guru

Thanks everyone...
We anchored in VonDonop Inlet on NW Cortes Isl last night. Awoke to a great morning. Too lazy to move quick...just enjoying the sunshine. Awesome weather for October! Was treated to a Cape Cod Catboat passing by this morning. Such pretty lines. Seemed odd seeing a traditional NE style boat out here in the NW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5343.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	69069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5342.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	69070