Old 05-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Tender for the Troll

I'm curious what folks may be using for a tender on these relatively short boats. Meannder came with a 7.5' Sorenson. I was skeptical when I saw it, but thought, give it a try. Now that I've done the trying, I'm in the market. For some reason, I've always preferred inflatables, so that's my plan. I have a 2.3 hp honda, so may need to change that as well, but for now, I'm just looking to move up to a slightly larger inflatable. I can squeeze a 10' in place, but would prefer 9'6". Either way, I'm looking at some extra weight.
So my questions are, what are other folks using, and how badly does the weight affect you?

thanks

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
I'm curious what folks may be using for a tender on these relatively short boats. Meannder came with a 7.5' Sorenson. I was skeptical when I saw it, but thought, give it a try. Now that I've done the trying, I'm in the market. For some reason, I've always preferred inflatables, so that's my plan. I have a 2.3 hp honda, so may need to change that as well, but for now, I'm just looking to move up to a slightly larger inflatable. I can squeeze a 10' in place, but would prefer 9'6". Either way, I'm looking at some extra weight.
So my questions are, what are other folks using, and how badly does the weight affect you?

thanks

toni
You might want to think about a Porte Bote. They are easy to tow, easy to stow, weigh around 64# for a 10', takes exactly the size outboard you have, can be drug up on rocks without damage, row well, etc. We've had one on multiple boats over 35 years, and would never be without one.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

Tender for the Troll

We liked our Walker Bay; their Super Light series are very light from 66lbs to 105lbs depending on the length you choose. They also have a variety of other models depending on your taste/need/budget.

https://walkerbay.com/rigid-inflatab...specifications

Good luck.
Craig Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I have an Achilles 9' inflatable, with the air floor, 65 lbs. I put a DC port here and there for my LED floods and bow light, and have a high speed inflator/deflator pump that fits those ports and will fill the boat in 2-3 minutes to 3 psi. The floor needs 10 psi, so you have to actually pump the floor, but the tubes are 3 psi and inflating the floor to that much makes it into a boat and eliminates much of the physical pumping. It deflates equally fast using the electric air pump.

I store it rolled up, tow it when inflated and at my destination, and put the motor on it where the tides dictate. 2 small children can pick it up and carry it above or down to the tide line with no motor on it. For me, it's the best possible solution.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #5

thanks all for the suggestions. Had not thought of a Porte Boat. Have to decide how hung up I am on an inflatable. Had also not thought of carrying it deflated. Decisions decisions.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #6
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Hi Toni. Very nice meeting you at Opening Day. We carried an 8.5 foot Zodiac with a 2hp Honda on Weaver davits on our Camano. It worked out very well. Tim
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Hi Toni. Very nice meeting you at Opening Day. We carried an 8.5 foot Zodiac with a 2hp Honda on Weaver davits on our Camano. It worked out very well. Tim
Thanks Tim.

Good meeting you as well. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have this Achilles LEX-96 for sale in NorCal. It's a solid dink with teak wooden seat and floor panels. No leaks or repairs.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...750-38194.html

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Porta Bote looks interesting. Capacity jumps nicely when going to the 10'8" version which is a little long for keeping on the swim platform. Maybe the 8'6" would do the job. I just removed the weaver mounts my Camano had for a previous owners 8'6" inflatable.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonP View Post
Porta Bote looks interesting. Capacity jumps nicely when going to the 10'8" version which is a little long for keeping on the swim platform. Maybe the 8'6" would do the job. I just removed the weaver mounts my Camano had for a previous owners 8'6" inflatable.
Milton
Any plans for the Weaver mounts?

toni
Old 05-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonP View Post
Do the mean open or folded it is too long? If the former, and you have a swim platform, you can tow then very nicely with the bow up on the platform, open. Tow ours hitched up snug to our canoe stern, with the bow about 12" off the water. Since they are made of poly, the chance of damage is slim.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #12

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Porta-bote and Weaver Mounts

I will probably hold on to the mounts just in case...

The overall beam of the Camano is 10'5" but at the stern it is maybe 9'6" and the swim platform is 8' I believe. The Porta-bote is 10'8" long but I could probablt tilt one end up make it not the widest part of the boat. Could possibly use kayak mounts on the flybridge side rails as an option.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #13

I'm l?ooking at 9 or 9.5 boats. But here's a question for those who might be tuning in. I've got either 2 or 3 dogs that go with me routinely. I've never had a problem with their claws on the tubes on prior boats, but am a bit concerned with their toes on an inflatable bottom. I'll probably fit something in there to protect it, but any experiences from others?
thanks
toni
Old 05-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Here's my new dinghy guys! I'm excited about it! Used Weaver davits and I have 2 straps to secure it. I only keep it like this (as shown in the picture) when I'm at the dock, usually it's tilted all the way forward. My motor is a Torqueedo 1003.

I know that most folks love and swear by their inflatables but I didn't want to get one. I don't wanna be bothered by the potential air leaks (and water to a much less extent). I just wanted a simple, no frills composite boat. Get on it and go. Easy. Done. Fiberglass would've been great as well but I couldn't justify the weight. Just my thoughts. Not trying to bash anyone.

It fits perfectly back there BUT I may consider adding a small crane hoist on the bow and storing her on the foredeck. I'll see how this setup works over the next month or so and then make a decision. It's definitely easier to keep a dinghy on the swimgrid but I'm not sure if I like giving up all that valuable real estate. Prime real estate is scarce on a Camano! Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180513_095600.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	76249

Name:	20180513_095609.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	76250

Name:	20180513_095625.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	76251

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Funny...different strokes for different folks. I've always had inflatables and like them. When I bought Meannder, it had a 7.5' Sorensen fiberglass. Figured WTH, I'll try it. OMG..had it up for Seattle Opening day and wandering down the Montlake Cut was an absolute nightmare. We had water coming in the front...and the back as we went through the chop. Plus, for some reason, it was like getting in and out of a banana peel for me. Top that off with it having just a really uncomfortable driving position, and I was ready to burn it. Hench the search for the inflatable.

toni
Old 05-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Costco is selling a Bestway Mirovia Pro 10' 10" PVC inflatable for $489. I bought one last month.

It might be a little long for you but it is a great price. It comes with an aluminum floor and 2 aluminum bench seats, pump, repair kit and storage bag.

Here's a video of last year's sale...this year it's the same price.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Costco is selling a Bestway Mirovia Pro 10' 10" PVC inflatable for $489. I bought one last month.

It might be a little long for you but it is a great price. It comes with an aluminum floor and 2 aluminum bench seats, pump, repair kit and storage bag.

Here's a video of last year's sale...this year it's the same price.

WOW what size HP is it rated for?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
TF Site Team

15hp

Old 05-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
:smit ten:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
15hp
Old 05-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #20
TF Site Team

Here's mine with a Merc 15 sitting on my new dink float in my slip.
Attached Thumbnails
New Dink on Float.jpg