Old 01-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Service Parts

I'm going to be going through the heat exchanger, i.e. clean and service, and also the oil cooler.

I've made myself a list of what i THINK are the parts i'll need, seals, gaskets etc. I've talked to a couple parts suppliers hoping one of them might have a list, or kit of what is normally used. No luck there.

So, has anyone actually serviced these items on their own, and if so, did anyone happen to keep a list of the parts used. I know i'll eventually figure it out, but any time saved would be a help. The exchanger should be just servicing. I have some concerns about the oil cooler because there is some corrosion between the cap and the body. I won't know how pervasive until i take it apart.

thanks

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I think that it may depend on the brand of engine. What do you have in the boat?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Have you talked to the folks at Sen Dure? They are the premier supplier of HX and oil/fuel coolers. I found them helpful in the past.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ct. Indeed. A lot depends on the engine. We have Lehman's and oil and transmission cooler servicing are basically replacing those two items rather than attempting to clean them up although replacement depends on the hours they have been in service.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I'm assuming its a Volvo TAMD41p (200hp).

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #6

City: Washington
The oil cooler has no serviceable parts and shouldn't need service. You can't take it apart. The engine heat exchanger has an "O" ring that's supposed to be replaced when you remove and replace the cover. Unless you have an overheating problem or an impeller lost some of its vanes, that doesn't need to be taken apart either. Just reverse flush it with a hose.

If you need replacements, you can get them here for a lot less than OEM:

Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
The oil cooler has no serviceable parts and shouldn't need service. You can't take it apart. The engine heat exchanger has an "O" ring that's supposed to be replaced when you remove and replace the cover. Unless you have an overheating problem or an impeller lost some of its vanes, that doesn't need to be taken apart either. Just reverse flush it with a hose.

If you need replacements, you can get them here for a lot less than OEM:

Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers
as pointed out, I have a volvo tamd41b
Thanks for the hint of Lenco. I'd used them on past boats and had forgotten about using them again.

I'm a bit perplexed about the oil cooler. I've heard they are not serviceable, but I saw a Youtube video of a guy servicing one. My concern is that there is an obvious seam on it, that appears to be where the top and body join, with 4 bolts holding it on. That seam is my concern. There was obviously a leak at that seam, as evidenced by some corrosion. It will be easier to see and deal with once the the intercooler is off. I'm a little surprised at the comment that those don't need servicing than reverse flushing. I've seen the cooler bundles on other types of exchangers getty pretty clogged up over time and figured better safe than sorry. I chatted with one service center nearby and they pull the bundle and have it serviced at a radiator shop.

I'll keep after it and report back.

thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Have you talked to the folks at Sen Dure? They are the premier supplier of HX and oil/fuel coolers. I found them helpful in the past.
thanks for mentioning them. I was not familiar with them. I'll give them a call.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
as pointed out, I have a volvo tamd41b
Thanks for the hint of Lenco. I'd used them on past boats and had forgotten about using them again.

I'm a bit perplexed about the oil cooler. I've heard they are not serviceable, but I saw a Youtube video of a guy servicing one. My concern is that there is an obvious seam on it, that appears to be where the top and body join, with 4 bolts holding it on. That seam is my concern. There was obviously a leak at that seam, as evidenced by some corrosion. It will be easier to see and deal with once the the intercooler is off. I'm a little surprised at the comment that those don't need servicing than reverse flushing. I've seen the cooler bundles on other types of exchangers getty pretty clogged up over time and figured better safe than sorry. I chatted with one service center nearby and they pull the bundle and have it serviced at a radiator shop.

I'll keep after it and report back.

thanks
Perhaps some oil coolers are serviceable. Now that you mention it, I was thinking about the transmission oil cooler, not the engine oil cooler.

Basic servicing instructions are in my engine owner's manual. Very basic. Check yours.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
Perhaps some oil coolers are serviceable. Now that you mention it, I was thinking about the transmission oil cooler, not the engine oil cooler.

Basic servicing instructions are in my engine owner's manual. Very basic. Check yours.
Hmmmm don't have one. Where'd you get it?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
Guru

When I bought my Volvo powered trawler 17 years ago, I got up a list of O-rings, gaskets, etc. to keep on board. That's when I found out I made a huge mistake buying a boat with twin Volvos. Could not believe the price of Volvo parts...but I do now. Never again.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
I'm going to be going through the heat exchanger, i.e. clean and service, and also the oil cooler.
You can buy a .22 cal rifle cleaning rod with a brass bristle brush and run that through the heat exchanger. If there are pencil zincs, replace them. Not a lot of maintenance you can do.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Do you not have a service manual? What does it say? If you're going to service your engines yourself, it seems to me essential to have both owner's manual and service manual and do what the service manual says.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Toni

You have not indicated other than by the generality of your questions what is your level of competence or experience with boat diesel engines.
To tackle servicing your Heat exchangers without either is either brave or foolish IMHO. Please don't take offence, as none is intended.
I have done both the engine Heat exchanger, the transmission heat exchanger/oil cooler and the engine oil cooler on each of my Volvo diesels. Those include a pair of TMD40 and a pair of TAMD41s.
On the 40s, I used muriatic acid to sluice out the scale (lots) and on the 41s I used a rod with a blunt tip. On the 40s I found the solution to a serious overheating problem was the blockages with bits of rubber from the impeller and with bits of zinc from the pencil zincs. The 40s also required replacement of the rubber end caps.
IIRC there are no parts required to service the 41 HE, or trans cooler. There are big O rings on the engine coil cooler, but I wouldn't expect you to try servicing it yourself, unless you are absolutely sure it needs attention.
Whenever I change my zincs, I feel around in through the hole to see if there is any broken zinc inside. If so I will pull off the cap and remove it, and at that time, check the tube bundle for scale. In the last 17 years I haven't found any bits of anything. When I serviced those HEs 18 years ago, there were none. Pushing a rod through the bundle simply confirmed that they were clean.

As for Ancora's rant about Volvos, you will hear that from him frequently. I don't know where he lives, but apparently not where he has a friendly Volvo Penta dealer. He has had 17 years to sort that out.

Where I live, in SW BC, there is no more of a premium on Volvo than on other Marine Diesel parts. All are ridiculously priced compared to parts for North American cars. Camanos used to be built here in BC, so the ready availability of Volvo parts was part of the choice of Volvos by the builder.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Service Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Do you not have a service manual? What does it say? If you're going to service your engines yourself, it seems to me essential to have both owner's manual and service manual and do what the service manual says.

That is true for pulling the heads or something complex like that, but pulling and cleaning the heat exchangers, meh... the case could be made that with general engine competence, it is a pretty simple gig.

Look out for hidden bolts though. Our 63L exchangers had a 5th bolt in a nearly invisible place only accessible by feel. Other than that, it was a simple R&R job.

And don’t listen to haters. Lots of parts and support for the Volvo’s. Haters gonna hate.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
That is true for pulling the heads or something complex like that, but pulling and cleaning the heat exchangers, meh... the case could be made that with general engine competence, it is a pretty simple gig.

Look out for hidden bolts though. Our 63L exchangers had a 5th bolt in a nearly invisible place only accessible by feel. Other than that, it was a simple R&R job.

And don’t listen to haters. Lots of parts and support for the Volvo’s. Haters gonna hate.
I could make the case that simple gigs sometimes don't turn out to be when one doesn't read the instructions. There are differences and peculiarities. The fact he's asking here indicates it's not all that simple for him and my first source for information would be the manufacturer's manuals. He may find specific parts that are not designed to be cleaned and serviced but to be replaced. I don't know. I know the most experienced mechanics and best ones I know still use manuals. If I intended to work on my own engines, I'd definitely have them and refer to them.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
I could make the case that simple gigs sometimes don't turn out to be when one doesn't read the instructions. There are differences and peculiarities. The fact he's asking here indicates it's not all that simple for him and my first source for information would be the manufacturer's manuals. He may find specific parts that are not designed to be cleaned and serviced but to be replaced. I don't know. I know the most experienced mechanics and best ones I know still use manuals. If I intended to work on my own engines, I'd definitely have them and refer to them.

Fair point... certainly, at the very least, a blowout drawing is still a huge help.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #18

Thanks. See my notes in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Toni

You have not indicated other than by the generality of your questions what is your level of competence or experience with boat diesel engines.

tons of engine work, Quite a bit of diesel, quite a bit of boat, SOME boat diesel.
I've serviced several heat exchanger, mostly on Hinos. I've rebuilt heads,
stripped the fuel injection system, swapped transmissions etc. Generally,
especially on the old mechanical injected engines, they are not very complicated.

To tackle servicing your Heat exchangers without either is either brave or foolish IMHO.

While I don't have the manual, YET, in looking at parts diagrams and watching some video, I'm not worried about the job. The coolers are just not that complicated, unless there is something hidden that I have not seen yet. Getting the seals seated right seems to be the toughest part.

Please don't take offence, as none is intended.

none taken

I have done both the engine Heat exchanger, the transmission heat exchanger/oil cooler and the engine oil cooler on each of my Volvo diesels. Those include a pair of TMD40 and a pair of TAMD41s.
On the 40s, I used muriatic acid to sluice out the scale (lots) and on the 41s

I've used muriatic acid diluted before, on hino manicoolers.
Was not planning on using it on this one. I used to make a PVC tube wide enough and long enough to enclose the cooling bundle. Add mixture and then roll the tube around on the floor to slosh out the cooler. Workd great.

I used a rod with a blunt tip.

After chatting with the volvo guy at Pacific power group in Seattle, my plan is to take the cooler down to a local radiator shop for flushing after disassembly. He even suggested they could check the oil cooler, but I need to deal with that end cap sealing issue first and will only take it in if I think it may need it after taking a look at it. I'm not all that keen on tanking an oil cooler.

On the 40s I found the solution to a serious overheating problem was the blockages with bits of rubber from the impeller and with bits of zinc from the pencil zincs. The 40s also required replacement of the rubber end caps.
IIRC there are no parts required to service the 41 HE, or trans cooler.

I believe that is correct. Those are throw aways if anything as far as I know.

There are big O rings on the engine coil cooler, but I wouldn't expect you to try servicing it yourself, unless you are absolutely sure it needs attention.

As I said, I need to look at that cap/body seal. I'll likely only go farther if I see something suspect. The Pacific Power group guy says they are likely to be fine but he agreed that that cap/body seem should be looked at.

Whenever I change my zincs, I feel around in through the hole to see if there is any broken zinc inside. If so I will pull off the cap and remove it, and at that time, check the tube bundle for scale. In the last 17 years I haven't found any bits of anything. When I serviced those HEs 18 years ago, there were none. Pushing a rod through the bundle simply confirmed that they were clean.

Good to hear. I guess I'm paranoid after dealing with the Hinos for years. The coolers are high maintenance and EXPENSIVE. not to service, but to repair if either the bundle or housing gets hurt.

As for Ancora's rant about Volvos, you will hear that from him frequently. I don't know where he lives, but apparently not where he has a friendly Volvo Penta dealer. He has had 17 years to sort that out.

Where I live, in SW BC, there is no more of a premium on Volvo than on other Marine Diesel parts. All are ridiculously priced compared to parts for North American cars. Camanos used to be built here in BC, so the ready availability of Volvo parts was part of the choice of Volvos by the builder.
I hadn't thought of sourcing stuff in BC. Not sure why.
I'm up there quite often and ship motorcycle stuff back and forth, so not sure why it slipped past me. The few Volvo parts I've ordered are no doubt expensive, but oh well...its boating. Once I have the old seals etc out,
I'll try and source spares here locally, but even if I have to order them,
its not every day, and I'll put up with it. I come from the world of drag racing and the longevity and relatively low expense of diesel stuff, even from volvo, is almost a pleasure. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration. thanks for the suggestions and warning.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #19

Quote:
hey...I only asked for a parts list..It not like I'm asking how to hold a screwdriver....If I didn't think I was capable of servicing the coolers, I'd have someone do it. I do appreciate the spirit in which you make the comment though..trying to keep knuckleheads out of trouble is a good thing. Anything can get complicated a) if you have no idea what you're doing and/or b) don't pay attention and ask questions. Hence me calling Pacific Power, and/or c) forget that torque values are published for a reason.

I enjoy working on stuff like this. I've done it all my life on just about anything that has pistons. I'm sure i could run into a problem, but that's half the fun. Well, maybe not half...but some. I'll take pictures.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
hey...I only asked for a parts list..It not like I'm asking how to hold a screwdriver....If I didn't think I was capable of servicing the coolers, I'd have someone do it. I do appreciate the spirit in which you make the comment though..trying to keep knuckleheads out of trouble is a good thing. Anything can get complicated a) if you have no idea what you're doing and/or b) don't pay attention and ask questions. Hence me calling Pacific Power, and/or c) forget that torque values are published for a reason.

I enjoy working on stuff like this. I've done it all my life on just about anything that has pistons. I'm sure i could run into a problem, but that's half the fun. Well, maybe not half...but some. I'll take pictures.
Well, wouldn't the service manual include the parts information? You say you don't have the manual YET. I ask why not get it immediately. Why call and ask and everything else when you could have all the information right in front of you? I'm not just trying to keep knuckleheads out of trouble, I'm also trying to keep skilled and knowledgeable people out of trouble. I've said my bit which obviously you didn't like so I'll be quiet now. I don't understand why one would choose working without the manual over working with it.