Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Not impressed with the Camano 31

I had my mind set on buying a Camano 31 so I chartered one a few weeks ago on the Chesapeake Bay and I have to say I was not impressed with the boat.

When I compare it to another yacht we used to charter, a twin diesel Bayliner 3587, it fell way short on luxury.

On performance, it was excellent on fuel mileage, but stability was poor. One day we had 4-5 foot seas and when the waves were hitting us from the side we rocked very violently. Also anchored when boats would go by we rocked way too much.

The Camano boat also did not have an auto pilot which seems essential for a slow moving trawler.

The Camano I chartered was a 1997 I believe, did anything improve on the early to mid 2000 models?

Xraycharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #2

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
I would wonder how the Bayliner would have performed in those same 4-5 foot beam seas? Those are some challenging conditions for almost any boat.

It's easy to understand your comparison of the "creature comforts" of the 36-foot Bayliner being superior to those of the 31-foot Camano. Those creature comforts are a Bayliner hallmark. If there are any people around with issues regarding Bayliner boats, those issues aren't usually about the amount of twinkle, bling. and convenience built into the design. Some have said, with some justification, that Bayliner designs an interior and then figures out how to get a hull around it. That's not entirely a bad thing, (and based on sales figures, it certainly appeals to a lot of people) but Camanos will approach the process from almost the exact opposite perspective.

There isn't going to be a close comparison between those two boats. If you prefer the larger Bayliner, you have lots of company. They probably sell more Bayliners in six months than Camano has sold in the firm's entire history. :-)

Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Being a long term Bayliner owner I have to say that you are not comparing apples to apples.

The Bayliner 3587 is 5 feet longer, and is an aft cabin design, vs the Camano's design having a cockpit instead.
Even if they were the same length the Bayliners aft cabin design is allot more roomy. All aft cabin designs are more roomy that cockpit designs.

I've never actually been on a Comano, but I've seen them at the dock and like what I saw.

If I were in the market for a trawler speed 30' boat the Camano would be on a short list of boats to consider. That list would include the Willard, and some of the TT's I've seen for sale.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I agree with Kevin, but having had the luxury of being aboard a Camano 31, I have to agree that it lacks in creature comfort. It's kind of the Hummer of that size boat market. It's hell bent for stout but isn't built for bling.

As to the beam seas rocking the Camano, I think any boat would do the same thing. I think the Camano, given it's weight, might be a bit less tippy than most boats of that size and beam.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
The Camano is really a 28' hull with the integral boarding platform making up the rest. Definitely apples and oranges.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Not too long ago I was on a Nordhavn 86. It did not rock in a beam sea as compared to my smallish DF 48 and it had many more creature comforts. Also it had two radars and dual APs. And 3 big freezers. Now if only I could get Norhern Spy to Captain it for me ------- and pay the bank loan off too!!

Comparos on boats can be endless, maybe a Nordhavn 76 would be fairer test
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The Camano is a light boat and for it's speed it's very efficient but one shouldn't expect a Cadilac ride. Quick motions are the mark of a light boat but I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find a comparable size boat that would go forth on less fuel at 12-14 knots.

They look really good too ... and from both ends.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xraycharlie View Post
I had my mind set on buying a Camano 31 so I chartered one a few weeks ago on the Chesapeake Bay and I have to say I was not impressed with the boat.
Sometimes in life, finding out what you don't need or want is just as important as finding what you do need or want. Good on you to charter first.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Now if only I could get Norhern Spy to Captain it for me ------- and pay the bank loan off too!!
We live in fortuitous times Tom...

I received an email just this morning from a Nigerian lawyer who is looking for assistance getting a princesses fortune out of Africa.

If that doesn't pan out, a few years ago in Mexico, I met this guy who has a friend, who's cousin is an international investor. He will GIVE me a Nordhavn! All I have to do is deliver it from Colombia to Miami!
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Bayliner 3587 displacement 20,000lb
camano 31 10,000lb
your comparing apples to grapes

but maybe the prices are similar?

Larger bayliners do seem to have a good bang for the buck ratio.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ultimately it doesn't matter apples to apples...if the other boat rode better than the Camano, then that's what he should be looking for...if it's bigger or costs more and has a nicer look/feel...then that's the direction he should head.

If budget or otherwise says smaller..than he has a fallback but already knows he will be disappointed...sounds kinda like many boat comparisons when shopping around and not being "model locked"....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Sometimes in life, finding out what you don't need or want is just as important as finding what you do need or want. Good on you to charter first.
I couldn't agree more. It sounds like you got more than your moneys worth chartering. Imagine buying the boat then discovering you don't like it? Kudos for being one of the few wise enough to charter before leaping into larger boat ownership.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, perhaps I think I'm the kind of guy who wants to rough it without shower stall or generator (Camano) but when the rubber meets the road I'm really not, I'd rather have more amenities. Especially if I'm going to be spending multiple weeks at a time or maybe even months coastal cruising in retirement!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xraycharlie View Post
Yes, perhaps I think I'm the kind of guy who wants to rough it without shower stall or generator (Camano) but when the rubber meets the road I'm really not, I'd rather have more amenities. Especially if I'm going to be spending multiple weeks at a time or maybe even months coastal cruising in retirement!
Well said. Being comfortable on board is key to our enjoyment as full time liveaboards.

We had a 4087 (same as the 3587 but with a cockpit) and it was a great boat.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
My biggest knock against the Camano is the lack of side decks. I would not own one based solely on that.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I am thinking my next charter will be a Mainship 34 trawler, Southwest Florida yachts has one for charter.

There is also a Albin 36 trawler for charter out of Annapolis.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
My biggest knock against the Camano is the lack of side decks. I would not own one based solely on that.
These don't qualify huh, John?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1221.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	22708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1222.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	22709  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No they don't. This does:

Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No they don't. This does:
I had a bet with a fellow TF member that I could draw you out with my pics. Suffice is to say I won!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6