Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I had a bet with a fellow TF member that I could draw you out with my pics. Suffice is to say I won!
You should get a bonus as the response was under ten minutes.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
You should get a bonus as the response was under ten minutes.
But minus the bonus because in a rush the picture placement makes his boat look like a catamaran....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #23

City: Sharon, Ma
OP: What boat did you end up with? I agree with the others; You were very smart for chartering different boats. If more people did that they would save LOTS of money in the long run.

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Boston Area
You can't do anything about hull characteristics, but a generator and auto-pilot can be added. I'm sure the original owner of that Camano had the choice for both.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #25

City: Carrollton, Va
I'm going to fly the BS flag when it comes to sea state... 4-5 in the bay means one heck of a blow and a small craft advisory.

It's not even a steady 4 ft today and there's weather that blew in yesterday.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
In 2004 I bought a 2002 Camano, I owned it until 2008 when I wanted a larger boat with side decks, 2 sleeping areas, and stall shower. The Camano was a very well built boat and we enjoyed it very much. When I bought it it had no generator, I had a Kohler 4KW unit installed which powered the Air conditioning, heating, etc. fine. I never felt a strong need for auto pilot but the guy who bought the Camano from me wanted that feature so he had one installed after he had the boat shipped to Sweden where he lives.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #27
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
When the purchase of the first Willard I was bidding on fell through, my broker showed me a Camano and tried to convince me that it was what I REALLY wanted. I thought it was very well built, fantastic fit and finish. I personally didn't care for all the vertical glass in the cabin, it gave me an "inside a greenhouse" feel.

I don't remember the helm particularly well, or even if it had a fly bridge. I don't care for fly bridges, the weather up here is almost never good enough to wish you had one. Even most nice days are still cool. I do remember it had what I call weekender traits, fast enough to get out and be back to work on Monday, at the expense of using more fuel.

The Willard is too slow for someone who is working to be happy, you would never get out far enough to see new things on a weekend. Just see the same things over and over again, like a sailboater who only has weekends off. But I don't work, so that isn't an issue, and the difference in range was a hugely desired feature for me. I fuel once every oil change (150 hours) and never even think about running out of fuel. It's not even a consideration...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
When the purchase of the first Willard I was bidding on fell through, my broker showed me a Camano and tried to convince me that it was what I REALLY wanted. I thought it was very well built, fantastic fit and finish. I personally didn't care for all the vertical glass in the cabin, it gave me an "inside a greenhouse" feel.

I don't remember the helm particularly well, or even if it had a fly bridge. I don't care for fly bridges, the weather up here is almost never good enough to wish you had one. Even most nice days are still cool. I do remember it had what I call weekender traits, fast enough to get out and be back to work on Monday, at the expense of using more fuel.

The Willard is too slow for someone who is working to be happy, you would never get out far enough to see new things on a weekend. Just see the same things over and over again, like a sailboater who only has weekends off. But I don't work, so that isn't an issue, and the difference in range was a hugely desired feature for me. I fuel once every oil change (150 hours) and never even think about running out of fuel. It's not even a consideration...
To each his own. I'll stick up for the Camano line if nobody else will Can't beat the visibility from inside in a Camano. And all those windows let in a lot of light (and heat) and almost blur the line between inside and outside. Having options to cruise from slow to fast(er) with linear fuel economy is huge and unmatched. If you want to sit on one fuel-up and cruise at 7 knots, you won't refuel for a long time. Or get up and go if you want. Camano will do that. Nice to have the options. And I don't understand why flybridges aren't more popular in the PNW. I can't imagine having a boat without one. Granted I have a full enclosure. But I'm up there on every trip, even in cold weather, and you can't beat it in terms of visibility, fresh air, noise reduction, and enjoying the scenery. In the summer it's a must. And at the dock with a beverage and on the grill... who wants to be stuck inside? Flybridge is a must imo, but I do understand usability is more limited without an enclosure. I used to dislike flybridge enclosures on boats until I bought a boat with one

To each his own - whatever works for you is what you should go for!
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #29
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am sure if I lived in a tropical climate I would want a flybridge, and in the "land of the midnight sun" not having windows all around means I am not up all night with the sun shining in my windows.

I liked the Camano, it just wasn't the right choice for me. As well, I don't believe it gets down slow enough to troll at idle. Fishing is a huge reason I own a boat.

As you said, to each his own!
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I am sure if I lived in a tropical climate I would want a flybridge, and in the "land of the midnight sun" not having windows all around means I am not up all night with the sun shining in my windows.

I liked the Camano, it just wasn't the right choice for me. As well, I don't believe it gets down slow enough to troll at idle. Fishing is a huge reason I own a boat.

As you said, to each his own!
I troll at idle no prob I was worried this boat would be too fast as well but it's not... not even for kings.

jhance is offline   Reply With Quote