New Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
Folks, i'm scheduled to test a HM43 SEA and also a NP45 SAN in the next few weeks. Will likely base first in SFO. I see some differences between mfr.'s, but wondered about your opinion in addition to HM38 V HM43.

NP V HM
1. HM wider and lower
2. HM 100 more gal/gas
3. NP fully loaded, hence the higher cost
4. Cruise MPG similar

Thanks

Jim

Can you actually take the time to spell out the full name of the models for us not so versed in the nomenclature?

North Pacific (NP)
Helmsman (HM)

Jim,

I think that both the North Pacific and Helmsman Yachts are good boats. I am partial to the North Pacific, but then I own one and have been very impressed with the boat and with Trevor Brice.

I wouldn't get too concerned about relatively minor details such as tankage. For coastal cruising, not a lot of practical difference between 400 and 500 gallons of fuel. With only 400 gallon capacity, I rarely have to fuel up. The Helmsman can carry 50 gals more in fresh water, but has a 5 gallon smaller black tank. In the end I think it comes down to which design is going to suit your own use the best and what appeals to you.

My own preferences for layout would favor the North Pacific but nothing wrong with the Helmsman. Take the opportunity to get out on each and see which one speaks to you.

Jim - I recently toured both vessels side by side and found them fairly comparable. If the NP build rates a 7 for quality, then I would give Helmsman an 8. NP is marketing their boat as a 45 but keep in mind that includes the integrated swim platform. Even so, I found the NP had more interior space, especially the staterooms & head. The Helmsman's salon and joinery is very complimentary. I believe the Helmsman has slightly more space for dingy storage and davit but I liked the flybridge seating on the NP better. Overall looks are darn close but again, if NP looks rate a 9, then I would give Helmsman a 10. It all comes down to personal taste. Both these company's owner are class acts and appear to be on the rise so I would anticipate strong resale value for both in the future. This is one of those situations where there is no wrong answer. As Dave mentioned, let each vessel talk to you and it will come to you. Let us know how the tours go...

I see the list price for the Helmsman 43 on their site but nothing for the NP45. Are they similar?

Thx....

you may want to go back as far as you can find a year in which they made both models and compare prices them to see how they have held their value.

Also, you say the NP is fully loaded. That might mean that you will have to spend some additional cash on the HM to get it the way you want it, so be sure to calculate those costs....or it might mean you are paying for things on the NP that you don't necessarily need.

You may also want to call your insurer to see if there is a significant difference in insurance costs between the boats and factor that into your decision.

it looks like you have a tough choice ahead of you....they both seem like great boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom