Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
RE: Mariner Yachts

Carey Wrote:
Really??? Exit stage left. This site was intended for boaters to speak with boaters about boating issues. It was not intended as a forum for you or anyone else to further your career. Move on.
__________________________________________________ _________

I'm not really sure what your problem is here. This thread started with big complaints about the builder of the Mariner yachts and how those of us who had to deal with this cheat and liar had a pretty bad time. While the thread progressed, we found that Steve Smith, the builder, has been eased out of the distributorship by information provided by Dave. I for one, appreciated this information. The fact that you have a problem with someone who is involved with this change and contributing the information to this thread just confuses me.

Now if there are rules on this forum about the builder or distributors or even sales people contributing information about their products, be they Selenes, Krogans, Nordhavns or Mariners let me know and I will shut my mouth. I think Dave was real careful about not giving a sales pitch. If he had done that, you may have a bitch coming.

Thanks,
Ron

windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #22

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse

As a Mariner owner and with no connection to the builder, I was *very interested to hear the report of the change of leadership. *For me this is what the forum is supposed to do.

tadhana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #23

City: New Rochelle
Vessel Name: Carol Anne
Vessel Model: Mariner International Seville

As a prospective buyer of a Mariner 37 I have been soaking up information wherever I can. Having been on other boards/sites, etc. I understand the tenuous relationship when a person with commercial interests is in a group. It can be beneficial for all parties (buyers/sellers/users) to have a forum where discussions (civil in tone) can be had. Hopefully both parties will gain additional information and knowledge that will help them.
I would object (strenuously) if this were used for direct sales contact purposes. Selling under the guise of resesarch is not only unethical, but illegal as well in several states. (My day job is doing market research for a major corporation.) As long as any manufacturer, broker, etc. does not violate this code, then they should be allowed to listen in and give advice when possible.
scubabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #24

Was able to see *the new boat in Seattle a couple of weeks ago. *It is very nice and more refined. As live aboards on our 37 we have a *lot of experience with this boat. We are not afariad *to go out in rough weather *that keeps others in harbour. *We have been averaging 250 engine hours and 70+ nights at anchor every year. *If *you have questions, feel free to contact us.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #25

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. (Right now I am trying to found out its stability. I realize that it will be different in a trawler than a sailboat, but not certain to what degree.)
As for a "new" boat, personally I hear the phrase "Release 1.0" and all the hassle that comes with breaking in a new boat.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #26

What is *it about thee stability that you are concerned about? *Certainly coming from a boat with a heavy lead keel you are used to concerns about heeling. *But without mast or sails, you have far less heeling force. *There are boats like this *cruisng the world perfectly safely. *You do learn *to handle the boat a bit differently at times. *I've designed and built a fair number of sailboats. *Owned sailboats for about 50 years. *Would take this boat anywhere *along hte coast or to the islands. *Not an ocean crossing boat as built. *The layout of the enine room would tak a bit of effort to find space for stabilisers, but she does not *need them unless you are doing a lot of offshore work. *All in all she is a fairly low profile boat compared to many trawlers of this size.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #27

Heeling is perhaps a more accurate term that I should use. Moving from a displacement to semi-displacement hull is going to involve a learning curve. Our travels are going to be limited to The Loop and perhaps a run to the Bahamas.
Thanks for the reply. It is another data point in my trying to learn about Mariners. I've read others have taken theirs from Seattle to Alaska and had no issues.
How is the sound level within the cabin while it is running, or when the generator is on? My only frame of reference is my tiny 1-cylinder Yanmar which is not sound proofed.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #28

I am a sailor! *I have a sailboat. *I live on a trawler andg o everywhere. *The transition is easy! *Enjoy!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
We have a 2008 Seville 37, now Helmsman 38. Purchased from Paul at Island Yacht Brokers. The purchase experience and service at the time were fine. Only real issue is lack of owner's manual. Right now I am burning fuel from port tank much faster than starboard tank. I remember Steve junior telling me about the fuel return valve management but did not take notes. Be nice to have something to reference. I have had some communication with Waterline Boats, them seem committed to doing a better job supporting owners.
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Cary I agree that the forum should be "boaters to speak with boaters about boating issues".

However a member should be able to express themselves about a product and exchange information for the benefit of others. But when the purpose of a thread is clearly to sell stuff it definitely should'nt be allowed.

This dw8928 guy is'nt as bad as Yachtbroker guy Mike. So if dw8928 is an outlaw Yachtbroker is way out of line. I wish the management would just click these guys off but we have a classified section and to add a commercial section would seem to solve the problem. But then if the intent of a poster is to sell stuff then he would'nt post where his drivel won't be viewed by a maximum number so if we had a commercial section they'd just post in the general section anyway and the administrators would be very busy moving the sales posts to the commercial side .....and that would'nt work for long. So until the management starts spit'in these guys out we're stuck with them.

Just say no to ad copy
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #31

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Send a message via Skype™ to dw8928
I'm not a yachtbroker. My day job is as an attorney with a heavy part of that in criminal defense. I am involved in some of the behind the scenes business aspects of the Helmsman business and thought folks would like to know about the changes. Now if you want to hear some real life modern day pirate stories I can tell you some of those. This past week I have been down in Florida and even watched a 400 pound marlin get brought in at the Northeast Florida Marlin Association on Sunday. Though I think the marlin was losing about a pound a second in that amazing heat.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -
Another downside to global warming.... it makes fish smaller.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #33

It also makes your drinks look a lot smaller.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #34

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #35

City: Brookhaven, NY (Long Island)
dw8928,
Thanks for the info on Mariner Yachts. I've been eyeballing their 35' Express Seville for about 5 years. I saw it up at the Newport, RI boat show in 2007 and really liked it. At the time, I was looking for an offshore fishing boat, so I was not ready for it yet, but loved it.

After 5 years of owning a Sprtfish (30' Express Rampage), we are just ramping up the search for our next, and likely last boat pruchase (famouse last words, I know!@#!#$!). My wife and I are looking in the 35' to 40' range, for a planning or semi planning downeast or trawler type hull we can use for cruising both short and long range.

Anyway, short story even longer, I've been trying to get info on Mariner from Island brokers (Eric P.), and have been having difficulty, now finding this thread via google explains why. Also, the Mariner Yacht Trawler website is down.

Do they have a new website?? How do we find this company now?
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #36

It is now Helmsman. See: www.helmsmantrawlers.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman
dw8928,
Thanks for the info on Mariner Yachts. I've been eyeballing their 35' Express Seville for about 5 years. I saw it up at the Newport, RI boat show in 2007 and really liked it. At the time, I was looking for an offshore fishing boat, so I was not ready for it yet, but loved it.

After 5 years of owning a Sprtfish (30' Express Rampage), we are just ramping up the search for our next, and likely last boat pruchase (famouse last words, I know!@#!#$!). My wife and I are looking in the 35' to 40' range, for a planning or semi planning downeast or trawler type hull we can use for cruising both short and long range.

Anyway, short story even longer, I've been trying to get info on Mariner from Island brokers (Eric P.), and have been having difficulty, now finding this thread via google explains why. Also, the Mariner Yacht Trawler website is down.

Do they have a new website?? How do we find this company now?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #37

City: Tampa, FL
Is Paul involved in the new company at all? He is a great guy and would be an asset if he is.
YOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #38

Manuals and such for Mariner

"Only real issue is lack of owner's manual. Right now I am burning fuel from port tank much faster than starboard tank. I remember Steve junior telling me about the fuel return valve management but did not take notes."
I too have a Mariner 37 which I bought from the first owner. He provided all of the equipment manuals, but ther were no operating ones included. I am also looking any and all plans: electrical, plumbing, hull, etc. Anything.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #39
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabob View Post
"Only real issue is lack of owner's manual. Right now I am burning fuel from port tank much faster than starboard tank. I remember Steve junior telling me about the fuel return valve management but did not take notes."
I too have a Mariner 37 which I bought from the first owner. He provided all of the equipment manuals, but ther were no operating ones included. I am also looking any and all plans: electrical, plumbing, hull, etc. Anything.
This is what I do - I draw and return fuel to the same tank. You should have a supply and return valve for each tank. Do not ever draw from one tank and return to the other. Maybe that is way you are drawing fuel faster from the port tank than the stbd tank.

My boat has a stbd list so I keep the port tank as much as 40 gallons fuller than the stbd tank. Switching fuel tanks is just part of the cruise plan.

As far as manuals go, when Steve Smith Sr. was the distributor you would feel lucky just to get the boat. Forget about manuals. I don't know if the new distributor, Waterline Boats in Seattle, is going to print manuals but I've gotten along OK without them. If you have any questions, let me know.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #40

I would call Scott in Seattle who will tell you all about existing relationships: 206-282-0110