Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #21

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Model: Mariner/ Seville 37
Thanks for all the answers and kindness!
trinityloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #22

Seville/Mariner

Tadhana,

In your answer to Jeff you mentioned taking green water to your windshield, in the Potomac. I was wondering if the bow popped right back out or did it struggle a little to surface? Also, without a Portuguese bridge or sealing pilothouse doors, did any water get into the pilothouse?

Sorry for the late post. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
boat popped right up, most of the water was shed off the sides. We dove through a wave but the next one lifted the bow. We lifted so high, that as we fell down on the other side, the engine room hatch opened a bit and slammed shut. that is when you know it is time to close the doors, when the engine hatch starts lifting! The first time, one door was open and we took water into the pilot house. After that we have learned to keep the doors closed under those types of conditions. In the other rough days we have taken lots of spray and even some solid water, but even when the water gets wild, we have never had water come in through a closed door. We did do some extra gasketing to reduce air flow and heat loss because we live aboard in winter. That no doubt helped seal the doors.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #24

Tadhana,

Exactly the information I was looking for! I did notice the doors appear to be poorly sealed on my boat as well. Was there anything, in particular, you did to seal them?
Old 03-14-2017, 06:46 AM   #25
Guru

Matt, it might be easier to send pictures and other files via standard email. sailhale@gmail.com
If I remember, that boat has the fiberglass sliding doors. Ours are aluminum. the fiberglass ones were kind of loose. I used standard weather strip products of various widths and thicknesses. Have modified and adjusted the seals over the 5 years we lived aboard in the Chesapeake. Am less concerned about it now that we winter in FL.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Clermont, Fl.
Vessel Name: MISS PEACHES
Vessel Model: Mariner 37 Pilothouse Trawler
Hello ALL! Own a Mariner 37 Pilothouse Hull # 19 MISS PEACHES

Just wanted to check in and say hi to all. We bought our boat new (2010) from Ed Massey Yachts in Palmetto, Florida. We then took it down to Ft. Myers and through the Okeechobee Waterway. We headed up the inter coastal to Jacksonville where we joined the St. John's River. Then down the St.John's to Astor, Florida where she is docked. 7 days and about 650 miles. She gave us no problems.

Again, nice to know there is a Mariner/Helmsman forum!

Capt. John Winner
jwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #27
Guru

Hi John. We will keep an eye out for your boat as we head down the St. Johns from Sanford where we spent the winter. We are leaving Sanford Wed or Thurs northbound forour summer in VT and Cape Cod.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi Tadhana,

I am afraid you won't see my boat as it is docked behind a friend of mine house on one of many canals. I am docked down a canal about 1/2 mile on the left past the Astor bridge. The water being so low I am a little afraid to take her out right now. When we take her out we go to Silver Glen Springs. With the river so low I am sure we couldn't get in there right now. You know the boat draws 4 ft. and when the river is up you really must know how to get in there as we slide on eel grass for about 25 yards!. Have a great trip up to Cape Cod! Wish we met up sooner, maybe next year?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #29

Hi John,
Nice to hear from another Seville/Helmsman owner! Glad your trip went smoothly!

Tadhana,
We will be in Annapolis April 10-15 doing some work on our boat. If by chance you are passing through then, let us know and maybe we can get together?

Matt
Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hey Trinityloop,

Yes, I am glad that they have this forum for Helmsman/Mariner boats. Glad to meet you. Someday maybe have a "eyeball" meeting? For now take care!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #31
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Congratulations on the new boat!

I love the layout of the Seville 37/Helmsman 38 pilot house. If I could even get my better half to be full-time liveaboards, this is the boat that I would choose.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Hi JLD,
Mine is not a new boat. I bought it new in 2010. I can highly recommend this boat as it is now a Helmsman 38. The Mariner Company was bought out by Helmsman and they have done some super upgrades to it. My wife and I are extremely happy with the Mariner as the layout is great (especially) for a couple! Want company overnight (I don't) it can sleep 5. The second head is very rare on a boat this size. The interior is all teak & holly and excellent workmanship.
My wife will never live aboard either.
Take care!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #33

Seville docking

Being that I have not had my boat in the water yet, I have a docking question for my fellow Seville/Mariner owners. My experience is with twin inboards. 99% of my docking experience, between poles/piling,s has been backing in. I have a friend with a single Mainship sedan (who also switched from twins) and he tells me 99% of the time, singles will bow in...is this true? Since this is a single and a wide-body, do most of you just bow in?

Matt
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #34
Guru

No this does not match my observation at all. most people backin. I back in about 99% of the time. This boat backs fine once you learn to use the prop thrust to kick the stern. Sometimes in GA or SC if the current is ripping i will put her bow in but that is very very rare.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Hi Trinityloop,
When I bought my Mariner it had a 480hp Cummins and bow thruster. I had a Formula 25 before that with twin 488 engines All I can tell you is get lessons. I spent about $600 for a QUALIFIED captain that also had a single engine trawler. When he showed up at my boat (great guy) he informed me that I was NOT to use the bow thruster at all during my lessons. He said what do you do if your bow thruster goes out? I was to spend (1st lesson) going around two channel markers backwards in a figure 8 direction using only my bursts of rear gear using my propeller "walk" which was to starboard and bursts of forward gear when needed. I had a hell of a time at the beginning! About a hour in I started to feel how the propeller pull to starboard with short bursts forward really made a difference. Let's face it, anyone can drive a boat forward!

We did that for 2hrs. and over 4 lessons really felt very comfortable with the boat. I cannot over emphasize how much confidence that gave me as this was the largest boat I had ever driven. Yes, you will need to use the thruster especially in wind and currents. Hope you take my advice.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #36
Guru

I agree with jwinner. I almost never use the thruster. I do always turn it on but very rarely use it. The captain training you had a very good program. I teach by taking students to a day marker and have them keep the bow towards the piling and move the boat clockwise and counterclockwise around the piling using the helm and short bursts of prop wash. Being able to back your boat well and easily is important. Very often it is easier to get off a face dock using a spring line and kicking the stern out then backing away. often it is easier to back down a fairway rather than turn the boat around.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hi Tadhana,
Yes, when we fuel up we always use a spring line with a forward fender, turn the rudder full away from the dock and use bursts of forward to bring the stern in putting pressure on the fender. The opposite to get out putting pressure on the fender and back up until clear enough from the dock to go forward. A lot of wheel turning! Backing down a fairway was my second lesson and also backing through several pilings not lined up. I admit I was very nervous at first but was taught that the pilings and that rubber around your boat can help as long as you are going VERY slow. He also taught me that if I think I am going too slow...go slower! Of coarse wind and current must be factored in.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #38

Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I have "some" experience with a single so I do understand the concept of prop walk and back & fill. I love your buoy practice drills and will definitely use them! Do you usually back in from the lower or upper helm...or does it not matter?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #39
Guru

We drive from the lower helm nearly 100%. Particularly in docking and locking, it allows me to be close to the action.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #40

...and your first mate stays at the stern?

Tags
helmsman, mariner, seville