Helmsman takes over Camano

Looks like Helmsman took over Camano.
http://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/31-c...pecifications/
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
That is in the latest PassageMaker magazine.

It looks like they've completely rearranged the interior. Not much else is shown on that website.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yup!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:

It looks like they've completely rearranged the interior. Not much else is shown on that website.
Ron, from what little we can currently glean from the website, what are your thoughts on the changes? It seems to be a better use of space, in that there is now a separate shower, but as a Camano owner, how does it look to you?

From your avatar it looks like you already have the hardtop over the cockpit, and I've seen at least one other Camano with it so I assume it has been an option in the past.

I don't like the the new window treatment!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a soft canvas top it was fine. But a hard top would be nice for a place to mount a sat tv dome, and other things. I personally like the new layout.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Guru

There are a few custon built hard cockpit covers and I think there was one on the last Camano built before this sale.

From a casual glance at the website I don't think I like the layout. I would have to see an actual boat to decide. As small as a Camano Troll is, I can't see wasting space on a seperate shower and moving the galley up reduces saloon space.

If we're at a marina we use the marina showers. If we're anchored alone we shower in the cockpit so it's only at a dock or crowdwd anchorage where we shower inside anyway.

The new berth layout looks like one person would have to crawl over the other to get out. At our age we need to get out of bed during the night.

BTW: I have a canvas cockpit cover. Someone on the Camano owners website was giving away a custom hard cover but I was a day late. Someone else got it.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Guru

Here's something else that seems odd:

"Hyundai SeasAll engine — a smooth-running, efficient V6 250 hp powerplant."

Hyundai isn't big in the marine diesel market, at least in the USA. Also, with all the talk on boating foums about the problems with underloading a diesel, why would they increase the horsepower? The 200 HP I have is more than I need.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Guru

Waterline Boats

Scott at Waterline boats appears to be doing all the right things to position his imports to become a major player in the small - mid size boat marketplace. The boats coming out of the small yard appear to have very good quality (Helmsman Trawlers) at an unbeatable price. If they can continue to stay small they may be able to capture a large part of this market. I know of two previous Nordhavn owners who have moved to the Helmsman 38PH boats after they were done with open ocean cruising and are very pleased with their boats. Trips to Alaska were uneventful with their new boats. This has to say something about the boats.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

City: Seattle
Where does Helmsman actually construct the "new" Camano Trolls??
Ahlerstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Somewhere in mainland China; presumably under a bridge.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
Guru

Camano Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahlerstom View Post
Where does Helmsman actually construct the "new" Camano Trolls??
I'm not familiar with the Camano boats but understand they have a strong following and unique hull. Scott at Waterline Boats purchased the tooling and shipped it to the yard that builds Helmsman trawlers in China. His plan is to bring this unique little boat back to market with a much higher level of quality, great interior finish at a very competitive price. Based on what I have seen with the Helmsman line of boats I expect this boat to compete very well with boats like Ranger Tugs.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We owned a 2002 Camano from 2004-2008 they are very well made and fun boats. A 250 hp engine does sound like overkill, I wonder how wide the V configured engine is compared to the inline volvo and how it affects engine room space. Mine would plane with the Volvo 210hp but fuel consumption went way up. The Saloon and FB have lots of room for that size boat.
Good luck to them
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
We owned a 2002 Camano from 2004-2008 they are very well made and fun boats. A 250 hp engine does sound like overkill, I wonder how wide the V configured engine is compared to the inline volvo and how it affects engine room space. Mine would plane with the Volvo 210hp but fuel consumption went way up. The Saloon and FB have lots of room for that size boat.
Good luck to them
I wonder about the 250 HP engine also. Every time an engine thread comes up, there's the argument that underloading a diesel engine is bad for it. Mine is a 200 HP Volvo with a maximum RPM of 3900. I normally cruise at 2000 so I'm sure it's underloaded. Running any faster greatly increases the fuel use.

As for the other comment about increased quality, I haven't been on a lot of boats but to me, the Camano quality is very high. It was never a "cheap" boat.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I did a bare boat charter of a Camano. Loved it. V6....gives me eye trouble just thinking of it.......JUST CANNOT SEE IT.... I like in line engines serviceable from one side, also less to go wrong.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
Guru

My wife and I just finished a 76 day cruise on the AICW and Chesapeake Bay in ours and the Volvo purred like a kitten at 2K RPM. And yes, the Volvo inline 6 is very easy to get at for routine service.

Nothing seems to have been updated on that website since the original post. I'm going to contact them for a price on the hard top and see what they say.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Camano were not cheap boats. They tried early on to compete somewhat with lower priced boats by deleting the bridge on one model and realized it was pointless.

They tried to keep up the quality and thus earn some money.

We do have several specialized builders still in the area who build high quality, not gold plated, but good quality boats.

Hopefully that continues to be the case although I am sorry to see the building going to China.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
At least it appears that the Camano fits very nicely into Helmsman's product line....maybe a smart decision. I favor that to having another proven design going the way so many others have since the economy tanked.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
I like this Helmsman
2012 Helmsman Trawlers 37 Sedan Two Staterooms Power Boat For Sale -

380 hp Cummins QSB 5.9 is a bit much but I like the boat. Also I notice no gen set.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I wonder about the 250 HP engine also. Every time an engine thread comes up, there's the argument that underloading a diesel engine is bad for it. Mine is a 200 HP Volvo with a maximum RPM of 3900. I normally cruise at 2000 so I'm sure it's underloaded. Running any faster greatly increases the fuel use.
That argument is only valid in very limited conditions. It's valid for Generators because of how they're tuned. It's also true when an engine is tuned for constant use and heavy loads. Then running it at 75-80% is appropriate. However, you can take a 1500 hp diesel and run it at 1000 rpm's and just open it up periodically and not have any issues, because it's probably designed for a lighter load. The engine manufacturers do match the specific engines to the anticipated load. MTU, for instance, may offer the same basic engine in six to ten different configurations.

As to the 250 hp Honda I have no idea what load they're building it for.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
On China builds, I read an interesting article the other day in a trade pub I get. It seems that China is fairly rapidly losing the cost benefit it has had. Labor costs are rising. There are still substantial quality control and build consistency issue that increase warranty costs. Not to mention a lot of uncertainty in dealing with the bureaucratic structure in China. Add the transportation costs, and building in China has become much less attractive. It is interesting that the same issues arose with building in Taiwan. Taiwan addressed the issue by helping good yards develop the infrastructure, and then the yards, along with the government, worked hard to have a very high quality, well trained work force. China is not there yet.

More builders are going to be building back in the US in the upcoming years. One example, Gunboat just bought a yard in Wanchese, NC and is moving production from China back to the US. Among the issues mentioned above, they also discovered that 6 months after introducing their 60', built in China, the yard was offering knock offs for sale in Asia.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote