Old 12-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #1

City: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Painting Camano Window Frames

Has anyone had success painting the exterior black window frames? Any insight to procedures and materials used would be helpful.

Thanks
Greg
BayBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Columbia
Vessel Name: Ginger
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Ha ! I plan to do the same thing in the spring. Just bought the boat this year. My 97 needs it too. I just bought some Rustoleam Marine black primer and paint that got good reviews, but have not done it yet. I doubt it will be fun, taping, sanding the original, applying primer, then paint. But I gotta do it !!
GingerMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #3

City: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Some others have recommended using 0000 steel wool and wiping the frames with Acetone before painting.
BayBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Just be careful with steel wool, the dust and debris if not thoroughly cleaned up will leave rust stains.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Guru

Repainting Windows

I'm sure everyone knows that once a metal window frame starts to corrode there is not much that can be done to eliminate the return of corrosion. We had two boats (Nordhavn and Helmsman) that incurred corrosion on the window frames and even the door frames on one boat. In both situations the builders covered the costs of repairing but the repairs did not last more than a season or two. The biggest issue is that once the bare metal cleaned it is open to the environment and the corrosion starts immediately. Applying a primer in the open air just seals in the moisture and the corrosion process starts all over.

On aluminum aircraft structures we use a 12 step PAA process to clean all detail parts before immediately spraying different primers in an environmental control clean room. After oven drying the parts are kept in a clean room environment until they are bonded together using adhesive. Only then are the parts move out to an "open air" area for secondary or mechanical work. Even with the above approach we struggled meeting the Navy's requirement for Salt Fog Testing. Bottom line is aluminum is a tough material to keep clean of corrosion in salt air.

Recommendation for your windows is to perform the work on a warm sunny day and apply a good corrosion control primer as soon as the sanding is completed. I'm talking within minutes (section by section). Try using a hair dryer prior to and after the primer is applied. I would not spend too much time or money since you will likely be repeating this process within a few seasons. Brushing on the topcoat (white or black) will likely leave brush lines so if you can spray that would likely provide a cleaner finish. Good luck.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #6

City: Herrington Harbor North MD
Vessel Name: State of Mind
I did it and it looks great. Someone from the East Coast Camano Owners group put together instructions*pasted below.

"I just finished repainting all of the exterior black aluminum window trim with excellent results. Some of the windows had corrosion in the corners and the original finish was bubbled or flaking off.
1. Remove all rubber window gaskets. This is easy as they just pull straight out.
2. Sand all corrosion with 80 grit sandpaper. I used a detail sander.
3 Sand entire frame with 220 grit sandpaper, blending old good paint with bare aluminum
4. Vacuum all dust
5. Mask all window
6. Wipe frames with paint thinner and let dry.
7. Spray paint. I used VHT statin black epoxy available from Amazon. I did all windows with 2 cans. VHT is self priming. It dries with a smooth satin finish that looks like the original powder coated finish. This paint is both heat resistant and salt corrosion resistant. Results looked great.
8. Let dry and remove all masking.
9 Clean window gaskets and replace.
10. I used permatex black silicone to fill the gasket gaps created by gasket shrinkage."

I followed these instructions and had great results.
demarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
re: Just be careful with steel wool, the dust and debris if not thoroughly cleaned up will leave rust stains."

I would not use steel wool on or near a boat. Small bits of steel will rub off and land on the fiberglass and cause rust spots.

"Bronze wool" is available at marine stores, but I would just use very fine sandpaper or the plastic pads used for finishing wood.

As far as painting the window frames, I have the same boat and after 22 years, the frames definitely need to be repainted. I bought the primer and paint, but haven't begun yet.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
I've had very good luck with repainting aluminum using a zinc chromate primer, specifically designed for use on outboards. Sand, clean well and spray with a couple thin coats of this primer, then top coat with Rustoleum epoxy spray. Zinc chromate is pretty nasty and harder to get these days so I switched to zinc phosphate which doesn't work as well but still does a decent job. The idea behind using the zinc based primers is that if the surface get's nicked the primer is sacrificial and tends to react vs. the aluminum and reduces the chance of corrosion tunneling under the paint.

My windows are pretty bad and this project is on the short list. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't last will need to replace the frames $$$$.