Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, nice pics and lovely boat. However, Fletcher, I'm interested in your comments re the flybridge. Being brutally honest, just how often do you feel moved to run her from up there, when you have such a magnificent pilothouse..?

My reason for asking is two-fold, having had a vessel with a flybridge, but seldom used to pilot from, and the fact that to me, with these designs with such nice raised pilothouses, the flybridge always seem to me to be an unnecessary extra appendig. Is it really all that much better or different running the boat from there compared to the pilothouse..? If so, I will alter my view accordingly.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #82
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Peter,

This is our first boat with a FB so to be honest, I had no idea whether we would use it much.

I do most of the driving, and so far all docking, mooring, etc from the lower helm because I can see things better. I can also see the electronics much better in the lower helm.

My very social wife likes to take out friends a lot, so staying below while everyone else is up top so I can concentrate and not hit anything while driving has also been a plus.

With that said, we do spend a lot of time up top hanging out while underway in the ocean, in the bay, and while at dock. The views are nice.

I fish it a lot, so the higher elevation to spot patties while trolling, and to look for birds and bait has been a major plus.

I am not saying having one is better because we all use our boats differently, but for us, we absolutely love having the upper deck area.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #83
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Peter,

With that said, we do spend a lot of time up top hanging out while underway in the ocean, in the bay, and while at dock. The views are nice.

I fish it a lot, so the higher elevation to spot patties while trolling, and to look for birds and bait has been a major plus.

I am not saying having one is better because we all use our boats differently, but for us, we absolutely love having the upper deck area.
Ok, that I concede, as at anchor was when we used the upper deck most. Occasionally when under way on a really perfect day - not too hot or too cold - I'd drive from there, but I always felt too far from the centre of things mechanical being up there very long.

Which begs the suggestion, how about having just the upper deck, but without the expensive duplication of gear, instruments, etc, none of which does well exposed to the elements, so so often ends up encased in what FF calles an 'oxygen tent', thus making it less pleasant just being up there for better views and fresh air. Is an upper deck, sans steering station a goer..?
Just wonderin'
Old 08-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #84
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Which begs the suggestion, how about having just the upper deck, but without the expensive duplication of gear, instruments, etc, none of which does well exposed to the elements, so so often ends up encased in what FF calles an 'oxygen tent', thus making it less pleasant just being up there for better views and fresh air. Is an upper deck, sans steering station a goer..?

Just wonderin'

When I was first looking for a trawler, I DIDNíT want a FB for all the reasons you have stated. In the end, the boat that was good in every other way, came with a FB so I went with it.

It seems there are two very distinct camps when it comes to fly bridges. There are those that canít imagine a boat without them, and those that donít see the point. I think a lot depends on the weather. In the areas with warm weather boating I can understand using a flybridge a lot. In the PNW, most flybridges are encased in cloth and plastic. That always seems pointless to me, but then I have a nice pilothouse. The few times a year when I want to use the flybridge are days when all I really want is some shade over my head. I use my FB occasionally. Sometimes I end up using it just to get better visibility aft in a tricky docking situation.

To answer your question, I think most manufacturers find that the market on a national level want fly bridges. It is easier to design and build one version of a boat rather than offer one with and one without a fly bridge.

I agree that a flybridge is an expensive addition to a boat like the Helmsman that already has a wonderful helm position in the pilothouse. However, the FB gives additional options and flexibility for how the boat is used.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #85

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
On the flybridge issue. On our last boat, a 4388 bayliner, I hardly ever used the FB. On the current Camano, we seem to be using it all the time. No idea why the change. just happened.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #86
Guru

Water temps are down, and the tuna have moved on.

We had some light rain from a disturbance in Mex this week that made for some beautiful sunrise and sunsets. September through October are always my favorite boat/water months.

Hope everyone had a great summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunrise.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	81616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0619.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	81617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0623.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	81618  
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #87

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Hey Fletcher
beautiful boat!
Have you had any luck with the bluefin spearfishing?
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #88
Guru

Tuna Joe, got some other species, but no luck with the elusive Blue Fin this year.

There is a group of 3 guys who run a high speed RIB who are well known in our area. Word is, they shot 3 BFT in the 150 to 200 LB range a couple months ago.

I sent you a PM to ask about how your season went in Ventura.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #89

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Not meaning to derail, but I don't think you can send pictures via PM so I thought I'd post here.
Taken about a month ago between Cat and Clemente by a good buddy
3 guys took fish up to 270 pounds spearfishing
GoPro mask cam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	81802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1110.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.4 KB