Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is impressive fuel economy for that waterline. My 40' sailboat gets the same speed at .75 gph with 56hp at 2000 rpm. However, my sailboat has a LWL of about 36'. Yours must be closer to 29'?
I think his reflects the fact that Hyundai has been building fuel efficient engines a long time. It was an area of emphasis with them before it was with many others, from commercial and industrial to automotive.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #102

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
150 gallons of fuel (also 100 gallons of water)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
7.04 nmpg at 6.2 knots... Very Nice! How much fuel does she carry. I'm luven your boat.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #103

It's about 26.5' LWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is impressive fuel economy for that waterline. My 40' sailboat gets the same speed at .75 gph with 56hp at 2000 rpm. However, my sailboat has a LWL of about 36'. Yours must be closer to 29'?
Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #104

The Hyundai Seasall is a dedicated marine design - not a marinized version of an existing design.

So its operating characteristics - quietness, smoothness, fuel economy - are purpose built to the marine environment. Which is why it sells so well overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think his reflects the fact that Hyundai has been building fuel efficient engines a long time. It was an area of emphasis with them before it was with many others, from commercial and industrial to automotive.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #105
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
It's about 26.5' LWL
Then that is even better to be able to get that much above displacement speed with so little fuel.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
The Hyundai Seasall is a dedicated marine design - not a marinized version of an existing design.

So its operating characteristics - quietness, smoothness, fuel economy - are purpose built to the marine environment. Which is why it sells so well overseas.
I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The same expertise you develop in one engine area helps you in others as well, though.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #107

Apologies if it seemed I was saying that! I was just affirming the purpose-built qualities in between other work!

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The same expertise you develop in one engine area helps you in others as well, though.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Apologies if it seemed I was saying that! I was just affirming the purpose-built qualities in betwixt other work!
Most in the US don't really realize all Hyundai does or the size of the company in total. That said, there are a lot fewer support locations in the US than for some of the other brands.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #109

That is true. But in the PNW there are enough for me to feel comfortable. Plus, engine tech is so good these days. I know Helmsman has never had a single engine related problem in any boat ever - Cummins or Hyundai.

Even Volvo, I think, has mostly had problems related to engine mounts. Fleming uses MAN engines (also I think) and they switched over to SeaTorque and softer engine mounts to eliminate troubles related to alignment and engine mount/alignment issues in general.

Quote:
Quote:
Most in the US don't really realize all Hyundai does or the size of the company in total. That said, there are a lot fewer support locations in the US than for some of the other brands.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #110

Quote:
Most in the US don't really realize all Hyundai does or the size of the company in total.
Very true. Hyundai amongst many other activities is, through its subsidiary HMM Hyundai Merchant Marine, the 9th container carrier in the US which counts like customers Wal Mart Stores, Target & Best Buy Co. it's the world 15th largest container shipping company, the South Korea's largest sea carrier, fleet > 115 ships, plus ~ 20 charter vessels operated, plus 5 or 6 more tankers coming soon, in a particularly very difficult competitive market where HMM is trying to stay afloat while Hanjin collapsed last year.
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #111
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Welcome to Hyundai Heavy Industries
Old 02-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #112
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Very interesting to learn more about Hyundai. When they first started marketing cars in the USA, I and many other Americans discounted them as the new kid on the block who'd never amount to much. Then I saw their cars develop a reputation for reliability, fit and finish, economy and comfort. Over the years I noticed their name on many industrial machines from forklifts to large trucks to mining equipment to ships. When I saw this thread and learned about David's engine choice, I...for a moment...had similar thoughts, then immediately read his attachments on the engine. I was completely wrong. They're not the new kid on the block.

How long has Helmsman been offering Hyundai engines in their boats? Are there other Helmsman models that can be ordered with them?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:

I believe that the base engine is derived of the same family of diesels Hyundai has used for years in a number of automobiles.
If you look online you will find reference to the S series of Hyundai 3.0 liter engines of the same bore, stroke and general layout used overseas.
Not that there is anything wrong with the engine family being well vetted before use in the marine world... My truck has a Cummins 6.7 diesel, the same family as the engine in our soon to be completed American Tug! I believe that the Cummins showed up in the Dodge truck before it was used in the marine world, didn't it?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
When they first started marketing cars in the USA, I and many other Americans discounted them as the new kid on the block who'd never amount to much. Then I saw their cars develop a reputation for reliability, fit and finish, economy and comfort.
They made one of the all time brilliant marketing plays and that was their 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty when they started going after the US market seriously. People didn't have confidence in their cars but felt like with the warranty that if it broke, they were covered. Even the low prices wouldn't have gotten them where they needed to go without the warranty. They also went aggressively after dealerships and provided them solid support.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #115
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
They made one of the all time brilliant marketing plays and that was their 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty when they started going after the US market seriously. People didn't have confidence in their cars but felt like with the warranty that if it broke, they were covered. Even the low prices wouldn't have gotten them where they needed to go without the warranty. They also went aggressively after dealerships and provided them solid support.

First or second year they came into U.S. my girl friend purchased one due to price, gas mileage and the guarantee. Not too bad a scoot-round-town car. Guarantee was the really good sales gimmick... it worked!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #116
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our second car is a Hyundai i40 wagon. 2L engine could use more torque but otherwise a comfortable good value wagon.Still in warranty( 5 years here) but zero warranty done unless the dealer quietly fixed things, and no recalls. Hyundai has come a long way from its early cars,much like Japanese makers. It is no surprise they would build a good marine engine.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #117

The Glendinning fully electronic controls mated to this Seasall S240 are really nice (ZF, Seasall, Glendinning). Essentially gives a luxury feel when maneuvering the boat. Immediate smooth response with no sponginess when moving between detent points while shifting.

Which makes docking feel much more confident. I think for someone new to boats this size and relative heaviness, it would make learning much less confusing in terms of personal sensory input from friction feedback when moving the shifter - and because the detent points are VERY clear and precise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0042.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #118

Added a Gas/Water Separator to the WhisperGen genset this week. It is a Netherlands made product with a Kubota engine. This meant installing a thru-hull. Made a substantial difference.

Next I will be installing some vibration isolators under the genset itself.
Attached Thumbnails
2819E326-69B5-4898-9CC0-08CCE43F2D54.jpg   A6028379-1379-4208-9DA7-F799091536C5.jpg   C16DD87C-86BA-4DB3-B8C4-918CC2E6FC64.jpg   CB6059B3-D327-4E37-A601-7B90B01278E9.jpg   FAE00D00-945C-486E-A746-DFD01CC16074.jpg  

Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #119
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
I hope Bob Warman is still collecting his royalties on these hulls.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #120
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Helmsman 31 - Just shipped to me in Seattle

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9514.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	62931

What's the thu hull with the big hose with no valve? Or am I looking at that pic wrong? Oh wait, maybe that's an exhaust hose?

And I wonder if there is a thread mismatch on those thru hulls with the ball valves screwed on.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helmsman, helmsman 31