Gauges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisaensing

Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Camano / Troll
I would like to replace the gauges in my flybridge (not Tach, just OIL/TEMP/VOLT) - 2000 Camano 31 with 200 HP Volvo TAMD41-P
Volvo doesn't sell the gauges only the entire instrument panel.
Question: Will VDO Gauges work or will I have to replace the senders too?

Attachments

• IMG-2965.jpg
    IMG-2965.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 17
You should replace pressure and temperature senders when installing gauges. Senders usually come with the gauges. Most senders work by varying electrical resistance so a compatible gauge is crucial.

Speedhut manufactures custom gauges. You can configure the bezel, face color, font, pointer shape etc to match existing gauges or for a custom appearance. Price is reasonable and senders are included. It takes them about 6 weeks to fill an order.

For cars, they sell gauges that receive input from the OBD port and do not require senders.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Also, If I replace the gauges on the flybridge & senders, how does that affect the lower helm gauges not being replaced?

Thanks,
Also, If I replace the gauges on the flybridge & senders, how does that affect the lower helm gauges not being replaced?
It is possible that Volvo/Penta used renamed VDO gauges as they are European.
One way to check the compatibility with original sensors is to take note of the
current readings under normal conditions: temp and oil pressure while idling, say.
Hook up the new gauges before installing them and compare the new readings.

If you find the new gauges need new sensors then you have 2 problems to solve if
you don't want to replace gauges at both helms.
The oil pressure sensor can be replaced with a tee fitting to hold both old & new sensors.
The temp sensor can also be doubled with a tee but just be sure that the old sensor
still gives the same reading in the new configuration.
A temp sending unit can also be added to the coolant path using a short section of
metal tube with a boss threaded to match the sensor. This gets inserted in a hose run.

Last edited:
Knotyet
I have confirmed they are VDO (see photos) So are all VDO sensors the same, assuming I stay within the gauge parameters, i.e.
Temp: 100 - 250
Oil: 0 - 150

Attachments

• Oil.jpg
    Oil.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Volt.jpg
    Volt.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 14
Knotyet
I have confirmed they are VDO (see photos) So are all VDO sensors the same, assuming I stay within the gauge parameters, i.e.
Temp: 100 - 250
Oil: 0 - 150
You have an advantage with knowing the part numbers.
VDO should be able to cross-reference those and answer your questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom