Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
South of Heaven's Avatar
 
City: Sharon, Ma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 213
Dickinson Newport Propane heater placement

Guys, I've pretty much decided that I wanna install a Dickinson P12000 propane furnace. A P9000 is also an option but I think the 12000 is a better buy as long as it fits in the Camano 31 salon.

My CruiseAirrrrr reverse cycle works great but I don't have a generator (the PO took it out) and I don't want one. I like keeping it simple.

I DON'T WANNA TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE ABOUT WHICH AUX HEATING SYSTEM IS BETTER. I definitely wanna go with propane because I already have a propane system on board and I like the Newport specs. I'm aware that diesel is safer (Webasto and others) but I've decided against it. I've also decided against an engine Buss heater.

So......Where would (could?) I mount it?? I need a straight run for the exhaust flue and intake. Actually it's one section....The air intake is a small pipe inside and the outer core is the exhaust.

The only spots I see are:

1. Port , aft near the door (about 1 foot from the factory glass storage area.

2. Port, about 6 inches aft from the head door.

Where else? Thanks guys! I can't wait to do this mod! I need heat while underway and also love the aesthetics of this unit.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Camano 31

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Member
 
City: Kasilof Alaska
Country: Kasilof, Alaska
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
No help on where to mount it sorry. I will tell you they are fast and very easy to install. The down side is they do not put out a lot of heat. I have the P9000 in the cabin of a 22 foot Seasport and it is not too much by a long shot.
__________________

DNT99611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
South of Heaven's Avatar
 
City: Sharon, Ma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNT99611 View Post
No help on where to mount it sorry. I will tell you they are fast and very easy to install. The down side is they do not put out a lot of heat. I have the P9000 in the cabin of a 22 foot Seasport and it is not too much by a long shot.
Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards the P12000. It's 5500 BTU vs the 4500 from the 9000 series. I know it's not gonna heat the whole boat. I just want a simple setup to take the chill off in my early spring and fall cruises.
__________________
Camano 31

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
jhance's Avatar
 
City: Eastsound
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 64
Don't have any knowledge on the propane units, but I will tell you I have the Webasto diesel heater and I can't imagine a better unit. It is amazing. It heats all areas of the boat in no time including the v berth. We've been using it regularly.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
porman's Avatar
 
City: Duvall, Wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
Don't have any knowledge on the propane units, but I will tell you I have the Webasto diesel heater and I can't imagine a better unit. It is amazing. It heats all areas of the boat in no time including the v berth. We've been using it regularly.
What it doesn't do is heat the head. We added a tee under the seat on the port side and ran a small tube across the forward engine room bulkhead and into the head. Worked great.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: Pembroke
Country: Canada
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 146
My only caution to propane heat is the amount of moisture it puts into the cabin!
Sweating windows etc are a given.
I will 2nd the Webasco and/or Espar heating choices! Both work great! Much dryer heat and diesel
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,494
It doesn’t vent inside the boat, it vents outside! No moisture inside as that would mean you have combustion gases inside too. Its why you don’t run your stove for heat. Some small issue called CO.
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 679
I have had a P12000 for about 10 years. You can mount it any where. The only part of the entire unit that gets too hot to touch is the glass in the door. The sides of the heater are cool to the touch. The exhaust chimney gets pretty hot but you can touch it briefly. The heater comes with a stainless steel mounting plate so rear clearance is not an issue. The only complaint I have about mine is that the fan is a bit noisy at higher settings.

Venting is NOT an issue since the heater draws in outside air for combustion and has a sealed combustion chamber. The exhaust stack is the inner tube of the double chimney so it preheats combustion air. No exhaust gases are vented into the cabin so condensation is not a problem.

You do need to have the fan on pretty high to get maximum heating. A second fan to circulate cabin air is also a good idea.

We quite enjoy the visible flame at night.

I also have a Webasto Airtop 2000. It heats the boat much more quickly than the Dichinson, but the blower for the forced air is louder and it draws considerably more electrical power. The Webasto also cost almost three times what the Dickinson cost. Note I bought the complete installation kit with fuel pump, ducting, through hull exhaust vent, etc.

The Dickinson comes as a complete kit. All you will need to buy is a propane hose and wire to connect the fan to your 12 VDC system.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
South of Heaven's Avatar
 
City: Sharon, Ma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durant F View Post
My only caution to propane heat is the amount of moisture it puts into the cabin!
Sweating windows etc are a given.
I will 2nd the Webasco and/or Espar heating choices! Both work great! Much dryer heat and diesel
Huh? Diesel is a "dryer" heat? The Newport unit is vented outside via a straight run of metal flue....There should be no "sweating" involved.
__________________
Camano 31

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
South of Heaven's Avatar
 
City: Sharon, Ma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
Don't have any knowledge on the propane units, but I will tell you I have the Webasto diesel heater and I can't imagine a better unit. It is amazing. It heats all areas of the boat in no time including the v berth. We've been using it regularly.
\

Nice. I've definitely been shopping the other options but I feel that the Newport will work best for my needs. I love the real fireplace feel. Lol
__________________
Camano 31

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
South of Heaven's Avatar
 
City: Sharon, Ma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I have had a P12000 for about 10 years. You can mount it any where. The only part of the entire unit that gets too hot to touch is the glass in the door. The sides of the heater are cool to the touch. The exhaust chimney gets pretty hot but you can touch it briefly. The heater comes with a stainless steel mounting plate so rear clearance is not an issue. The only complaint I have about mine is that the fan is a bit noisy at higher settings.

Venting is NOT an issue since the heater draws in outside air for combustion and has a sealed combustion chamber. The exhaust stack is the inner tube of the double chimney so it preheats combustion air. No exhaust gases are vented into the cabin so condensation is not a problem.

You do need to have the fan on pretty high to get maximum heating. A second fan to circulate cabin air is also a good idea.

We quite enjoy the visible flame at night.

I also have a Webasto Airtop 2000. It heats the boat much more quickly than the Dichinson, but the blower for the forced air is louder and it draws considerably more electrical power. The Webasto also cost almost three times what the Dickinson cost. Note I bought the complete installation kit with fuel pump, ducting, through hull exhaust vent, etc.

The Dickinson comes as a complete kit. All you will need to buy is a propane hose and wire to connect the fan to your 12 VDC system.
Thanks
__________________
Camano 31

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Guru
 
Bob Cofer's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: US
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,046
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2230.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	71227
__________________
What kind of boat is that?
Bob Cofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
South of Heaven's Avatar
 
City: Sharon, Ma
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post

Looks good Bob. I'll have mine soon!
__________________

__________________
Camano 31

Slow Lane
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012