Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #21

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Left of the Wheel?

Are you talking about in front of the table/behind the fridge? Looks possible to route venting out to the left.

Hydronic is the solution that supplies both hot water and heat without running the engine. I am eager to see how your install plays out though I have seen you can burn through propane quickly for heat in RV's.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
My Dickinson P12000 is finally installed and fired up! Awesome! I love the fireplace effect, makes the boat more cozy. I'm also gonna be installing a P9000 in the V berth as well. Here's some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180415_174348 (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	75206

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180415_180634.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	75207

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: Boston Area
Nice.....how long does a propane tank last you in this kind of weather ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Nice.....how long does a propane tank last you in this kind of weather ?
IDK! I'm still on the hard. Should be in the water in 2 weeks or so. March and April have been long and cold. I'm just starting to finally wrap up some of my winter mods (only 1 month delayed!!!).

Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #25
Guru

I have a feeling we're going to skip right past spring....we'll jump from below freezing to 80 degrees overnight!!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #26
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
"Dryness" of the air in the cabin is a result of temperature of the heated air and where it is drawn from. Cold air brought inside the cabin and heated will absorb a lot of water since it has very little moisture in it once it's been heated up. Air drawn from inside the cabin and heated already has moisture in it. Think "dew temperature"...

The ventilation air draws in and is then heated causing both dryer air in the cabin and a slight positive pressure inside the cabin. As the cold air heats it is able to absorb and hold a much larger quantity of moisture and a constant stream of freshly heated outside air keeps the ability of the "new" air to pick up moisture from the cabin interior.

Combustion air and ventilation air are two completely different systems.

In my opinion that's the biggest advantage to a forced air system, IF the ventilation air is drawn in cold and then heated.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:24 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
I was in your area 2 weeks ago Merrimac, MA and Salem, NH with weather like that this Florida boy would need a couple of those in our boat
Old 04-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
I was in your area 2 weeks ago Merrimac, MA and Salem, NH with weather like that this Florida boy would need a couple of those in our boat
Definitely! We're still in a cold stretch up here. It was high 30's yesterday. Now today is the Boston Marathon and it's torrential rain.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
......In my opinion that's the biggest advantage to a forced air system, IF the ventilation air is drawn in cold and then heated.
If you are drawing in outside air....doesn't that mean you are also expelling heated air ? That seems pretty inefficient. If moisture is a problem, wouldn't you be better off with a dehumidifier, instead of pumping heated air into the environment ??
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #30
Guru

Yes, you are expelling heated air, that's where the moisture leaves the interior of your vessel. Otherwise you just have heated moist air... I have passive vents (dorade vents) and block the intake vent so it exhausts through the bathroom vent. I close the bathroom door to slow down the air movement.

Dehumidifier is extra expense and equipment, boats aren't insulated enough that it makes much difference. Losing heated air is probably more efficient and lower cost than messing about with dehumidifiers and the extra space and power draw.

You can't really have warm AND dry if you heat interior air without either venting some warm (and moist) air out or having a dehumidifier.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #31
Guru

City: Anacortes
Not sure if you're talking in generalities or related to the Dickinson 1200. The Dickinson is a direct vent propane heater. It draws combustion air from the outside, through a double wall stack, uses that for the burner and then exhausts it. There is no mixing or using cabin air. The only way it heats the cabin is by radiant heat. Basically the thing gets hot and then warms the air around it. So it has very little effect on cabin humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
"Dryness" of the air in the cabin is a result of temperature of the heated air and where it is drawn from. Cold air brought inside the cabin and heated will absorb a lot of water since it has very little moisture in it once it's been heated up. Air drawn from inside the cabin and heated already has moisture in it. Think "dew temperature"...

The ventilation air draws in and is then heated causing both dryer air in the cabin and a slight positive pressure inside the cabin. As the cold air heats it is able to absorb and hold a much larger quantity of moisture and a constant stream of freshly heated outside air keeps the ability of the "new" air to pick up moisture from the cabin interior.

Combustion air and ventilation air are two completely different systems.

In my opinion that's the biggest advantage to a forced air system, IF the ventilation air is drawn in cold and then heated.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Definitely! We're still in a cold stretch up here. It was high 30's yesterday. Now today is the Boston Marathon and it's torrential rain.
Yes and an American gal won today!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Yes and an American gal won today!!!
Yes! I saw that. It's a very cool event and so well organized. Even with the bad weather there was still a huge turnout in Beantown.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Not sure if you're talking in generalities or related to the Dickinson 1200. The Dickinson is a direct vent propane heater. It draws combustion air from the outside, through a double wall stack, uses that for the burner and then exhausts it. There is no mixing or using cabin air. The only way it heats the cabin is by radiant heat. Basically the thing gets hot and then warms the air around it. So it has very little effect on cabin humidity.
Yep. I was simply making note that the only systems that actually dry the air rather than just heat it need to draw air in from outside the cabin for ventilation. There may be people following this thread that are deciding what type of heat to install that information may be useful to.