Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Guru

Contract Signed / New Build Underway

Hello fellow trawler owners / dreamers. I'm excited to share the news that Mary and I have commenced another new build trawler. While our last three boats where Nordhavn's (two new N40's and one used N35) we decided to set a different course this time around.

After a long search which included full-displacement to downeast style boats we decided on proven semi-displacement hull / boat that we plan to use for west coast coastal cruising from the northern Mexico to the San Francisco Bay area until we move the boat to Texas or Florida and experience the ICW up to Maine (a life long dream). Needless to say finding the right boat for this mixed journey required many compromises and I'll be straight forward and say "no boat is perfect". I think it was this thinking that allowed us to explore all the builders, makes and models out there before making our selection.

Over the next few months I plan to share our thought process and why we selected the boat we did, the options and Pro's & Con's in hopes it may help others starting out on their own journey. For now I will confirm the top three items on our list which we found were; quality, safety and surprisingly greatest value. I will go into detail on these plus many other aspects of the boat during future posts and look forward to sharing thoughts with other.

In closing I will admit that leaving Nordhavn was not an easy decision but since they didn't offer the size / type of boat we needed we knew it was time to move on and find a builder that could meet or exceed our very high standards. We found this builder and boat at Waterline Boats (Seattle) and the boat is called Helmsman 38PH.

One last note is that Scott at Waterline is allowing us to customize the boat the way we want it and plans to incorporate many of our ideas / enhancements into future builds. We couldn't be more excited about builder our next boat. Did I mention the boat offers (standard) a real engine room access door? To me this is a sign of well thought out and true medium range cruising boat.

John & Maria
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
Congratulations John & Maria

Looking forward to seeing your project as it progresses.

Cheers

Rick
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
keb

City: Portland, OR
Congratulations John and Maria, I know it has been a long road to this point! One that I'm sure will turn into a great new adventure. Out of curiousity, what is the build time estimate?
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That's a well thought out boat with lots of room and features. Windmist had one a few years back that I rode on for a short refueling run. Nice pilothouse and helm seat. Nice day head with the walk-in ER access door. Good access to lines for docking, too. His had an articulated rudder that acted like a stern thruster.

I'll be following your build with great interest. Congrats, John!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Remember, buy high, sell low!

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Our best wishes to the both of you. We can't imagine the precess you took just to get to here. Let the journey begin. This thread is already listed as a favorite.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: West Coast
The specs are impressive indeed. And unless there are a bunch of hidden charges, an outstanding value as well. Congrats!
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Am very interested in seeing the drawings/design of the boat, as well as photographs documenting the boat's construction. I enjoy observing others achieving their dreams.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Congrats, kids ! Very exciting, enjoy the journey!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Awesome John, exciting times ahead.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #11
Guru

Build Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Congratulations John and Maria, I know it has been a long road to this point! One that I'm sure will turn into a great new adventure. Out of curiousity, what is the build time estimate?
Build time is approximately six months. Word is starting to get out on the Helmsman line including the unbelievable work Scott did with the original Camino 31 thus the new boat order book is starting to fill up.

John
Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Build time is approximately six months. Word is starting to get out on the Helmsman line including the unbelievable work Scott did with the original Camino 31 thus the new boat order book is starting to fill up.

John
That's what they told me when I ordered my Mariner 37 (same boat) and 14 months later it finally arrived. You however, will be dealing with Scott - one of the most honest brokers out there and I know he will do all he can to meet your expectations. I had to deal with the previous broker, probably the most dishonest liar I ever came across in the boat business.

Good luck John. I remember talking to you a few years ago. You should have bought my boat!!!

Hope you ordered side doors. They really make a difference.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
John
Congrats, hope it turns out as you hope. Six months will be amazing if it can be done, but of course time is money so if they are able to do it its a win for all.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #14
Guru

Build Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
That's what they told me when I ordered my Mariner 37 (same boat) and 14 months later it finally arrived. You however, will be dealing with Scott - one of the most honest brokers out there and I know he will do all he can to meet your expectations. I had to deal with the previous broker, probably the most dishonest liar I ever came across in the boat business.

Good luck John. I remember talking to you a few years ago. You should have bought my boat!!!

Hope you ordered side doors. They really make a difference.
h

I'm aware of some of the issues with the previous importer and what some buyers had in the past. As you mentioned, Scott has done a great job working the yard, establishing expectations and delivering on his word. A few changes at the yard have proven beneficial to all parties and their track record (which I have been following) has been about 6 months per boat.

Scott or his representative visit the yard and accepts each boat prior to it shipping to the states which has also improved the process. I had the opportunity last month to go aboard the latest new 38PH and was very impressed with the level of quality and attention to detail found through-out the boat. I believe Scott found himself a real diamond in the rough with this yard. I only hope that Scott can manage to keep the business on the small side and not let the potential for growth change the culture he offers to each and every buyer which we all seen with other successful builders.

John

John
Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #15
Guru

City: Vermont
Cool. Where is it built?
Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #16
Guru

Build Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Cool. Where is it built?
A smaller yard in China on the coast. If you go on the Helmsman Trawler Facebook page you will see some pictures on the most recent built boat that is being shipped over this month. You can see a few pictures of the yard and surrounding industrial park. Very clean and well organized. Reminds me of the early days with Nordhavn.

An interesting note that shows the extra steps taken to protect the boats is the use of shrink wrapping. I know when we had our two Nordhavn's shipped to San Diego they were not protected from the elements and were covered with salt and soot from the freighter. On one boat someone left a PH window open just enough it left a mess and almost ruined some the teak wood. It will be nice to see the boat arrive clean this time

John
Old 11-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #17
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Build time is approximately six months.
Don't make the mistake I made -- my boat's construction took substantially longer than expected, so by the time it was finally "ready" for delivery, I accepted it based on the manufacturer's advice that, even though work remained to be done, none of it was "significant", so I should take the boat on an extended shake-down cruise and then bring it back for "fine tuning". In retrospect, I would have been better off insisting that everything be 100% before delivery. My mistake (one of many).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Congratulations. I'm anxious to see your thread about the construction.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Yep, following the build process should be interesting. With Matt leaving TF, Fernando's project finished, Rick's Canadian building over and Ted's refit winding up we need something to satisfy our need for vicarious boat building. Thanks for taking us along on the process. I am very interested in seeing the changes that you plan to introduce.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #20
Guru

Wow, what a beautiful boat. Gotta order the generator and the upper stearing station will get a work out when you're on the ICW. Love that engine choice too. Get a fortress anchor for the Chesapeake and it'll be a great spare elsewhere.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote