Contract Signed / New Build Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will in no way speculate on Mrs. Wifey B's appetite for doing pirates....

:socool: :blush:

An old school approach

Being a fan of most all boats and different construction methods, I especially appreciate anything that is built by hand. There is just something about craftsmanship that is missing in most new boat construction short of a custom wood boat.

This brings me to the topic of applying the boats name to the transom. I can remember as clear as day the first time I met the older gentleman who came to our first N40 (11 years ago) and introduced himself as the "painter". I believe he was in his late 70's and had a very frail build. I was actually concerned about his safety and ability to complete our job but was reassured by others he was the best. A few days after we discussed the job we visited the boat and seen "Maria Elena" hand painted on the transom to perfection. The use blue and silver colors against the gray hull provide the perfect level of contrast. He even added two small palm trees to the "i" in San Diego just as Mary requested. What a great job we both thought. I think what I appreciated more than anything was slight brush marks you could see if looked for them. It reminded me of the traditional way of doing things with a touch of class.

Fast forward to the second and third trawlers and the painters used computer generated lettering with paint (I never watched the process) which provided excellent results but I miss those brush marks.

Looking forward to this boat I plan to spend a little more time looking for a true artist who can add that little special touch. We have not yet decided on a name (Mary wants to see the boat first before determining if it is another "Maria Elena") but we need to start thinking.

If anyone knows of an excellent "boat name" artist in Southern California please let me know. Thanks

John

Perhaps the older gentleman is still available, and might enjoy hearing your appreciation for his previous work. He may enjoy rolling up his sleeves again, especially for you, even if he has moved along or retired. Might be fun and provide you both with a story.

I found our professional, artistic, hands-on sign painter via CL. Good place to post a request and to look.

Fabulous job he did with multiple colors of auto pinstripe paints. Looks as good today (8 years) as the day he painted it. He said at least 20 years before there may be any change at all. We also purchased a good array of Testor model paints...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141824066100?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

...for the nick that happens every once in a while when something hits it and places small chink.

This young man entered the Navy. We were his last private boat name. Linda and I designed it; rough out drew it. He artistically improved it and painted it on by hand. Yes, there are some brush strokes... we love em! There is much meaning and background to numerous highlights inside our boat's art filled name

I don't want to hijack this thread with our boat's name picture. So, either tell me to post it here or PM me your email address and I'll send boat name photos to you.

Happy Boat-Name Installation Daze - Art :dance:

Engine Room Storage

The other day I was talking to Scott about the engine and the location of different equipment and the topic of tool storage cabinet came up. While this may not sound very important to some readers, anyone who has spent time aboard and works on their own boat will appreciate this little "extra" built-in storage cabinet designed to keep tools stored safely. The cabinet is standard equipment (nice surprise) on the H38E and is located on the forward / starboard side of the engine. Its a great location to keep tools, fluids, rags and towels and other miscellaneous items all in one place.

When I think back on our previous boats, none of them offered this nice touch (even as an option) which resulted in myself having to locate places to securely hold down my toolbox and everything else mentioned above. I ended having things stuffed into different corners of the ER. Needless to say not everything stayed put after a long run in rough seas. This makes me wonder what some builders are thinking when they design the engine room and forget to include this simple but yet very important to the future owner.

Another nice touch on the H38E - Scott if your reading this please keep up the good work.

John

We're strong believers in everything having it's place. We carry a lot of spares and tools.There should be no struggling to figure out where to put them. We hear people say there is no space. That's because the space there is being poorly utilized. It's almost like they forget it's three dimensional. It's amazing how much storage you can gain in one small unused bit of wall over equipment, even overhead. Much of what you need does not take up much space when properly stored. With hangers or shelves or cubbies of some sort, it's amazing what you can get in even a 2x2 space. These cabinets can be very lightweight too so weight doesn't become an issue.

Interesting Photo

I believe when someone copies another's idea, design or concept the person being copied has a few options; 1) they can become upset or, 2) view it as flattery and move on, or 3) consider it as recognition that others appreciate their work so much they felt compelled to try and copy it which may bring up other issues.

We see similarities in most everything we purchase today (including boats) and while some may consider it a form of competition (improving on someone else idea without infringement on ones patent, copyright or Intellectual Properties (IP)) some may take a different view. So what does this have to do with building our H38E?

Take a look at page 14 of the May issue of Power and MotorYacht magazine. It appears someone else thinks the design of the H38E is something special.

John

Mr B-so right on finding little extra storage space, especially overhead which you pointed out is often overlooked. A friend solved that problem with a socket set. His wife gave him one of those big like 150 piece socket sets in a big plastic case, all wrenches and sockets nicely labelled. All pieces firmly held on place in their proper spots. But he couldn't figure out where to keep it, he did not want to take all the pieces out and just throw them in his toolbox in the ER. But he found a flat spot right over the workbench in his ER. He then fastened the top of the case to the ceiling of the ER over the workbench. Now when he opens the case, the bottom folds down and all the pieces are right at eye level and easily available. When he finishes, he puts everything back, closes the case and it is secure against the ceiling. I've always thought it was a pretty cool solution.

Progress Report

Hello everyone, its been a couple of weeks since I posted anything on the boats progress and pleased to report a few major milestones recently completed. Earlier this week the new deck was removed from the "all new" deck mold tooling. From the photo we received it looks great and we are excited to see the next step of bonding the deck to the hull. If all goes well this should occur next week (we will post some photos). The yard also completed installation of the main engine, fuel tanks are in place as are the OSR shower and bathroom modules which are built using individual molds outside the boat.

When you consider this boat is receiving the first new deck (the design started last October followed with new tooling) and the Chinese New Year occurred which basically shut the yard down (I should say the shut the country down) for a few weeks, I'm actually impressed how well Scott and the yard has managed schedule. I have been down this journey enough times over the years to recognize all the variables that go into building a boat. When I think about the number of significant changes we have made on this boat I'm pleased with the progress and look forward to seeing the boat this summer.

Scott reported he is continuing to research a shipping company that can deliver the boat to San Diego which would really make life easier for us (logistics). There is one more H38 before us so once that boat finishes up I expect a few more craftsmen will jump onto our boat and get it finished.

John

When you consider this boat is receiving the first new deck (the design started last October followed with new tooling) and the Chinese New Year occurred which basically shut the yard down (I should say the shut the country down) for a few weeks, I'm actually impressed how well Scott and the yard has managed schedule. I have been down this journey enough times over the years to recognize all the variables that go into building a boat. When I think about the number of significant changes we have made on this boat I'm pleased with the progress and look forward to seeing the boat this summer.

n

I am amazed that Scott can maintain any type schedule with all the changes and late decisions you've made along the way. Our new builds everything was specified upfront and the only decisions to be made once the build was started was things like selection of linens and dishes and those type things. Equipment was all done prior. Some of your changes have been minor but others major. The point is not to criticize you, but to go even further in recognizing Scott's ability to be flexible and still maintain a decent schedule. I know some builders who couldn't have done it and others who would have drastically increased the price along the way with change orders.

Fuel Tank Sight Gauges

Being able to take reliable fuel level readings is about as serious as it gets when planning long coastal trips. While some long range trawlers go to the extreme with day tanks where the owner can shut off fuel from the main tanks and measure actual fuel burn real time by watching the day tank supply slowly drop, most boats offer less accurate approaches. Short of having a separate day tank, I would prefer large vertically mounted sight gauges on each tank I could read during engine room checks.

I'm curious what type of systems others use on their boats (electronic sending units, floats, centralized site gauges, etc....) and how owners feel about their accuracy and reliability.

John

Being able to take reliable fuel level readings is about as serious as it gets when planning long coastal trips. While some long range trawlers go to the extreme with day tanks where the owner can shut off fuel from the main tanks and measure actual fuel burn real time by watching the day tank supply slowly drop, most boats offer less accurate approaches. Short of having a separate day tank, I would prefer large vertically mounted sight gauges on each tank I could read during engine room checks.

I'm curious what type of systems others use on their boats (electronic sending units, floats, centralized site gauges, etc....) and how owners feel about their accuracy and reliability.

John

I am new to this whole thing. My boat has three system for reading fuel level. Sight gauges for each tank. These don't go to the top of the tank, which is something that would be nice. I filled the tank to the top of the sight gauge when I filled the tanks. It looks like that gave me about 3/4 fluke capacity. Not of the things that I will do eventually so to have one tank close to empty, then fill it. I plan on making the sight tube with a sharply at 50, 100, and 150 gallons for my 200 gallon tanks. Second system is a Tank Tender system that covers both the fuel and fresh water tanks. I still am not familiar enough with it to fully utilize it. Lastly are the fuel gauges. Surprisingly enough, they seem to be reasonably accurate. Far more accurate than on any of my sailboats at least.

Fuel gauges

John[/QUOTE]

I should have added that as much as I like the site gauges they can leak and cause a potential mess in the bilge. We had to repair both gauges on one new boat within a year and one gauge on an older Nordy. When the mechanic transferred fuel (about 200 gallons) from the port to starboard tank the boat listed so much that a small bottle of Patron Tequila fell off the galley counter onto the floor and cause a real mess. Good thing Mary wasn't around to see this occur.

Another item I'm looking forward to on the new boat is the Cummins Engine display which is like a small computer that offers very accurate fuel burn data.

John

Post Contract Signing Changes

Many will remember my word of caution when purchasing a new boat "not to make changes after you signed the contract". Well we all know how well we have NOT followed this sound advise. Let me reconfirm the advise is solid and applicable with most builders except with Scott.

So where am I heading with this? Well I did it again today. After looking at photo's of other H38's, I discovered a very nice addition to the L-shape seating area on the large fly-bridge. One owner added a fixed mounted table just large enough for drinks or lunch for two. He actually used the table top from the pilothouse when he made that table slightly larger. While I could sense a little hesitation in Scott's voice today when we spoke, he advised as he always does that he would look into it for us.

Talking from experience I can you that most builders wouldn't even consider making changes on a new build that is less than two months from completion. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be working with Scott on this boat.

John

Talking from experience I can you that most builders wouldn't even consider making changes on a new build that is less than two months from completion. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be working with Scott on this boat.

John

Scott needs to learn how to say "no." lol

Speaking of sight gauges, the surveyor noted that my sight gauges had a valve on the bottom but not on the top. He explained that it was a safety issue in case of a fire ( and I was thinking in case of a clutz like me damaging it). I assume that the sight tubes in your new boat have a valve on the top and bottom? It is a change that I will make sometime.

My fuel gauge is a length of dowel, painted white for 10cm at the end I hold, and natural for the rest, marked at 200L points with a cut in circle, from the bottom, and I can dip it down to the bottom from either fill access, (one either side of the cockpit), and touch bottom vertically, then read off the wet line. Pretty accurate - enough anyway, and absolutely foolproof. Works for me. :social:

I did install a sight tube for my (then new) plastic water tanks however, (simple t-junction and clear plastic tubing held in vertical position), and that works well. Like the fuel tanks they are linked across to automatically level, so one does the trick.

Progress Report

This is a quick update to advise the new deck has been fitted to hull and things are progressing well. The single photo provided by Scott is a view from bow and doesn't show off full impact this significant milestone so we will hold off posting any photos until we have a few side views. More to follow soon.....

This is a quick update to advise the new deck has been fitted to hull and things are progressing well. The single photo provided by Scott is a view from bow and doesn't show off full impact this significant milestone so we will hold off posting any photos until we have a few side views. More to follow soon.....

That's a time at which our excitement rose, seeing the pieces, one put on top of the other, and then another on top. It finally starts to more resemble what it's going to look like.

Progress Report Follow-up

In addition to the new deck being installed (bonded and mechanically fastened) there is another associated change with the boat worth mentioning. When the decision was made to build the new deck mold Scott made the hull 2" taller. So we are getting a slightly taller boat. While two inches is not significant it does add a little extra separation between the boat deck and the sea. Coming from a taller hull we welcome this enhancement from both a practical and appearance perspective.

On a slightly different subject, today I was reading a fellow trawlers blog (much larger Nordhavn) about the significant refurbishment effort being accomplished after eight years and 30k miles. Despite investing a lot of money on a very complex boat the owner mentioned more than once his desire to simplify things. While this may not be likely possible on a boat designed to be self sufficient anywhere in the world I found it interesting that even those who travel the world can appreciate simpler systems. Possibly our thought process is catching on?

I found it interesting that even those who travel the world can appreciate simpler systems. Possibly our thought process is catching on?

Who's thought process?

Simpler Approach

Wifey B: :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::hide:

Not with me.

Funny! I believe there is a balance between comfort / capabilities and simplicity. Once I figure out I will be sure to post it here first. It may take me a few boats to get it right. ��

I believe that most boaters keep things just as simple as they desire. Different folks.... Different strokes.

I never knew of a boater who decided to add more things simply to help complicate their boat.

Happy Simple Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I never knew of a boater who decided to add more things simply to help complicate their boat.

Happy Simple Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Who are you and why did you hack Art's account?

Seriously dude, what frickin forum are you reading because there are days here where it seems that's all some folks want to do :) :whistling::D

Who are you and why did you hack Art's account?

Seriously dude, what frickin forum are you reading because there are days here where it seems that's all some folks want to do :) :whistling::D

And understand that this forum is very much on the conservative side of the boating spectrum.

I'm not sure people have a firm fix on simple anyway. What is simple for one might not be for another. Some tend to equate "lack of" with simple. We have to be careful in that regard. Some think a lot of electronics complicate things. I'll tell you that used appropriately they simplify things. Would it be simpler not to have depth sounders? Simpler not to have radar? No

Last edited:
And understand that this forum is very much on the conservative side of the boating spectrum.

I'm not sure people have a firm fix on simple anyway. What is simple for one might not be for another. Some tend to equate "lack of" with simple. We have to be careful in that regard. Some think a lot of electronics complicate things. I'll tell you that used appropriately they simplify things. Would it be simpler not to have depth sounders? Simpler not to have radar? No

Man are you so right BandB. I am at present working my way through Patrick O'Brian's sailing ship series, featuring Jack Aubrey and Steven Maturin. (others have mentioned this series in the past) When I think that back in those and earlier times, all they had was swinging the lead for soundings, and taking a sun sight at noon, if it was possible, and also using celestial bodies to navigate, with so much of it by dead reckoning and with really dodgy charts, if indeed there were any charts for the the relevant area, you realise just how simple modern aids make it all, and how lucky we are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom