Wifey B: A little better.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #1002
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Bill was preparing his boat for the parade and took a few nice photos of Maria Elena underway. Thought I would share them here on TF.

OK now the dang attachment icon doesn't work?
Hi John, good to see you. Here you go..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	83485  

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #1003
Guru

Sometimes it is the little thing

Yesterday was a beautiful day in the mid 60's with calm winds so we decided an afternoon run outside would be fun. No sooner did we get outside and turned south to pass by the Hotel Del Coronado then further south did Mary decide to make some popcorn to enjoy. A few seconds later I hear her say the microwave stopped working. I immediately checked the inverter only to see the panel dark, not good. This is when simpler can be better relying on DC for instruments and not stressing out. We continued our cruise before heading back to the marina. Upon checking the inverter I confirmed it was dead. I pushed the start button and nothing. Dang it, this I not good. I then started checking other items including the 200amp fuse which I replaced last year. Fuse looked fine but as I went to remove the cover the inverter kicked in. Turns out the terminal connections were loose. A quick tightening with the wrench and everything was back to normal. An appreciation of the this boats design and equipment location is how most everything is within reach. The inverter is mounted just forward of the salon hatch to starboard with nothing blocking it. The fuse is between the inverter and house batteries near an air condition unit but well within reach.

So what did I learn, don't always assume the "system" or in this case the inverter was at fault. Rather check all the "little things" first. Second was more an appreciation for our simpler boat whereby everything we need to operate the boat is DC current. Relying on the engine alternator for electrical power (no generator to fail) is another part of simplicity. Having a bow thruster that runs off a battery not AC power or hydraulics again is simple. If needed to cook we have propane. Fresh water pump runs off DC. Overall this situation actually brought me back to how we designed the boat for the ICW or coastal cruising. Maybe we shouldn't be selling her?
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #1004
Guru

Playoffs

A favorite pastime of ours is anchoring out and watching the playoffs aboard the boat. While we didn't get to anchor out today due to arriving the boat later than planned we still enjoyed time soaking up the sun and warm temperatures relaxing on the flybridge before moving to the salon and watching the second half of the Rams and Saints while enjoying a light lunch. The day is so nice we decided not to rush home and make dinner aboard so it looks like I get to watch the Chiefs take on New England.

It's days like today that we especially appreciate our custom design salon layout with the long 11' sofa and two ottomans' providing a great area for us both (plus Sailor Blue) to stretch out, relax and watch TV. The layout just doesn't get any better.

Last week I had four guys from work visit the boat for a bay cruise before a business dinner. Two of them had been aboard our N40 and both thought this boat was larger and offered a much better layout. I have agree with them this boat is more open and feels larger inside.

Today was definitely a good day!

John
Old 01-20-2019, 06:02 PM   #1005
Guru

Helmsman 46

FYI, I will be starting a new thread to focus on our next new boat journey. It will be similar in content to this thread with our goal to help others thinking about building a new built. It will be titled Helmsman 46 - New Build.

John
Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #1006
Guru

A day out

Yesterday offered a break in the weather so we decided to head to the boat and take her out. Our original plan was to go outside and head north towards Torrey Pines and wave at Tiger Woods but we got a late start. Instead we motored over to a cove inside the bay and dropped anchor. It was packed with boats due to the 70degree air temperature but we found a corner away from most boats which provided us some privacy. It was the first time in a while since we anchored and I didn't realize how much I missed it. We enjoyed time on both the aft deck and the flybridge taking I the sights. After a few relaxing hours we lifted the anchor and headed home. Halfway back we could see another Helmsman trawler heading our direction which turned out to be Bill on his H43. We stopped and took a few photos of each others boat before continuing our separate ways. Always fun when you spot another Helmsman on the water.
After a great dinner aboard, we left for home and started planning for Superbowl Sunday aboard. Life was good yesterday.

John
Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 PM   #1007
Guru

A good day aboard

It's been awhile since we posted on Maria Elena but what time than a Friday afternoon aboard (after work?) enjoying a few margaritas on the aft deck listening to some great music. We were going to take the boat and anchor for dinner but it was just washed today so we decided the slip has the same water as the bay so let's get the margaritas going. Today's music selection was Queen and after recently seeing the movie a reknewed appreciation for the talent Freddy had.

Of course to really make this type of afternoon work the boat itself must offer the layout and space required for aft deck chairs, table and room for Sailor Blue to cut a rug. Needless to say Scott did a great job designing such a boat. The aft deck is actually large enough for band itself if we could arrange a visit (not a bad idea) on a Saturday afternoon (hey, this is southern California home of Hollywood and all that crazyines) so nothing is impossible. Mary is yelling it's time for dinner so I gotta go....

More to follow this weekend....
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #1008
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
We were going to take the boat and anchor for dinner but it was just washed today so we decided the slip has the same water as the bay so let's get the margaritas going.

Must be an awesome boat.

Pity you don't want to get it dirty by actually taking it out of the slip.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #1009
Guru

Wow, it appears someone is not a fan of Queen. Despite our extremely wide range of music, boats and enjoyment to share our experiences on the water (tied to the dock or cruising the coastline) to encourage others to experience boating it goes to show not everyone can appreciate even the simplest part of boating. Time aboard with family (including Sailor Blue) is the most important part of boating in my view. Remember the view from the aft deck is the same regardless of the size or type of boat. Like that song goes "Be Happy" and enjoy life. Time to change the music to Cardi B.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #1010
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey: Oh....this could rival the what is a Trawler debate. Is it boating if you don't leave the dock?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #1011
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey: Oh....this could rival the what is a Trawler debate. Is it boating if you don't leave the dock?
Or more specifically, if you chose not to leave the dock because the boat has just been cleaned!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #1012
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Or more specifically, if you chose not to leave the dock because the boat has just been cleaned!
Wifey B: I think he was boating. I'm for being all inclusive. However, the reason for not leaving the dock left me shaking my head.

How long after boat gets cleaned do you have to wait before using it, I wonder.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #1013
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: I think he was boating. I'm for being all inclusive. However, the reason for not leaving the dock left me shaking my head.

How long after boat gets cleaned do you have to wait before using it, I wonder.
If they are still cleaning when I am ready to go, I kick them off!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 PM   #1014
Guru

Trawler Life Style

Quote:
Will never get into the trawler debate after a life time of boating. Trawler lifestyle is different for everyone, there is no right answer. We have been off shore and 100 miles to the next port in some serious weather that would make some give up boating so an afternoon tied to the dock with a margarita and some great music is just fine with us. Will we take the boat out this weekend and get some salt spray on the foward deck, likely. The real question is which music will we select as we cut through a mixed swell in one the best designed and built boats we have owned. Choose your music carefully and just enjoy the trawler lifestyle without challenging others. Life is good.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 PM   #1015
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
May I say...

If you own a boat, and it gets hauled, and you go to it while on the hard - IMHO... that too is a form of "boating"!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #1016
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Morning John, we also like Queen. Keep your threads going. I found it a few years ago when I was considering crossing over to the trawler world and it was a great read. I also appreciate the insight you have brought to the forum by being through the build process on several vessels which has helped many people, regardless of which boat they choose. See you on the water. Fletch.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #1017
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Morning John, we also like Queen. Keep your threads going. I found it a few years ago when I was considering crossing over to the trawler world and it was a great read. I also appreciate the insight you have brought to the forum by being through the build process on several vessels which has helped many people, regardless of which boat they choose. See you on the water. Fletch.
Wifey B: I like Queen. Also like Adam Lambert. Before any of you say that's not the real Queen, let me say my generation and younger might never have heard of Freddy Mercury or appreciated him if not for Adam and the revival of Queen. His respect and adoration of Freddy Mercury led us to check him out and see what it was all about.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #1018
Guru

Summer has arrived

Finally the May gray and June Glume released and we had a weekend of sunshine. We attended the SD Boat Show Friday afternoon (nothing of interest for us) before spending the night at home then returning to the boat Saturday as we settled in for the night. This would be our first night aboard in over six months and Sailor Blue wasn't all that happy. She kept looking at the salon door as to say "are we leaving yet"?. It felt good waking up to the early Sunday morning aboard and sounds of seagulls. Wow, I missed this life style. After breakfast we headed out for a cruise with plans to anchor at a nearby cove only to find it filled with boaters and listening to them radio the harbor police about a sailboat that was dragging anchor with no one aboard. After circling the anchorage we decided it was worth the stress and headed back out to the bay. We quickly found ourselves in a small following sea and taking swells on the stern from "go fast" cruisers passing us up. I was impressed (again) how well this hull handles following seas and much better then our previous trawlers. After a few hours we returned to our slip and got ready for margaritas while Mary watched yet another special on Queen and Freddy. Dinner tonight will be bar b q shrimp with guacamole skewers and fresh vegetables. Life is good today with the sun shinning, time aboard and relaxation.