Old 06-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #961
Guru

A night aboard

So much for a weeks vacation and boating. This past week flew by as we spent it moving into our new home in Rancho Santa Fe, CA. For anyone interested in exploring different towns you may find this place a little interesting. Only 20 miles north of downtown San Diego but a world apart. One interesting aspect of living here is that there are no street mail boxes, everyone must get a PO box.

One of the nice things about this location is that we are only 30 minutes from the boat. Not as close as the unit downtown but something we can handle to once again be in a house.

Back to boating, we are spending the night aboard and hopefully take the boat out tomorrow for a few hours. The seas are little rough outside so we will likely stay inside. I'm planning to have Cummins perform the first oil and fuel filter change next week and perform a few engine checks. Despite the manufacturer recommending the first oil change at 250 hours and we are only half way there the boat is about 18 months old and I feel better changing the oil. That's about all this week.

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #962
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Water is now 70F in the bay...Yahoo.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #963
Guru

First Oil Change

Despite not being able to use the boat as planned due to the move, we are still taking great care of her. Yesterday we had Cummins out to change the oil and all fuel filters as well as check the impeller for replacement. The technician really appreciated the Reverso oil change system reducing his time and saving me a little money (I hope).

We plan to spend Saturday night aboard and take the boat out Sunday. Last Sunday we were able to find a couple of hours to spend out on the water and it was great. Looking forward to a nice long weekend cruise somewhere soon.

John
Old 07-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #964
Guru

Low Center of Gravity

While the following shouldn't be of a surprise to anyone but today was another one of those cruises where I was reminded the importance of having a boat with a low CG. We were fortunate this past week to enjoy what I call Miami weather on the water. Temperatures in the upper 80's with a little humidity and minimal breeze. While this weather can quickly make us wish for San Diego normal it is fun a short while. Today we took the boat out for a bay cruise and found ourselves up top for the ride ride home. Being able to feel the boats movement (both forward and to beam / starboard) was interesting. When in the PH I feel basically no forward movement and some roll depending on sea state. Up top it was amazing how the feeling was emphasized and we are only talk about 8'. This reminds me of the difference between our Nordhavn and this boat. Not sure the what the exact difference in height above waterline but I know there is a difference in feel. Again this is nothing new and not rocket science but something I enjoy evaluating.

Finding the right balance between being high enough above the waterline for safe ocean coastal cruising yet low enough for best stability will always be quest but something I feel we have met with the H38E.