Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #921

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
OP: I noticed you had the N35 as one of your previous boats. How did you like it (in a quick nut shell, sorry for getting off the thread topic)?

Slow Lane , 2000 Camano 31
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #922
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
OP: I noticed you had the N35 as one of your previous boats. How did you like it (in a quick nut shell, sorry for getting off the thread topic)?
I just spent some 45 minutes watching videos on Camano 31 boats. Verrry nice!

Can you tell me "real world" [i.e. loaded boat] mpg you experience at various speeds?

Thanks,

Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #923
Guru

N35

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Great question, we purchased the second to last N35 built with only 800hrs on the Yanmare. From an appearance perspective the boat looked great except for some serious stress cracks in the aft deck which were determined cosmetic but didn't look nice. The exterior styling of the boat in our opinion is awesome and still a favorite on mine. The downside of this model is interior room (very small), poor performance (the boat design never met its intended specifications), engine noise levels were very high (not what we expected for a Nordy) and an unfinished engine room (accessibility was good). We ran into numerous mechanics issues including a overheated stuffing box which after one year we couldn't dial in. Boats were built in the Taiwan yard and had good interior finish. Overall my opinion is that there are other boats available in this LOA which offer more for the dollar.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #924
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
However, when comparing the 38e to other boats, the deeper draft of other viable boats, and my lack of experience in non local areas that I want to boat, comes into play. For comparable boats, it is really hard to find out what is a viable maximum draft for those cruising grounds.

I read this site semi regularly yet thoroughly. Every thread seems to have some tidbit of knowledge to be gained. However, many posters seem to be West Coast, and they never seem to express concerns about draft. I am guessing that theirs are mostly deep water crusing grounds and deep water Marinas.
You are right about West Coast boaters not being too concerned with draft. The Puget Sound where I am has an average depth of 450' and is over 900' deep in places. There are some places with skinny water and with large tide changes we have to be aware, but we don't tend to worry about it. Of course, my last boat was a sailboat with a 7' draft and I only touched mud a few times.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #925
Guru

Margaritas

In southern California we like what is called a skinny margarita. We like the Jose Quervo (?) mix and a higher end tequila (1800). 6 oz of mix, 2 once of water, half a lime juice and 3-4 oz of tequila. Shaken poured over a rim salted glass. Let me know if you lil it.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #926
Guru

Superbowl Cruise

What better way to kick off the Superbowl than a cruise on the bay in 75 degree sunshine weather? I couldn't think of another pregame warm-up so we decided to cast off the dock lines and set out. Despite the unbelievable weather the normal Sunday traffic was light so we decided to visit the fuel dock (first time in a year) and take on 100 gallons of diesel to bring us up to a half load or 209 gallons. We then headed for the Coronado bridge past Seaport Village to Coronado harbor. We had both PH doors and the center window open to keep cool (yes it was that warm on the water) as we cruised along at 1500rpm and 7.5 knots. After circling the harbor we headed back home passing the mega yachts docked downtown. After tieing up in our slip and rinsing down the boat we made a pitcher of margaritas and started to prepare for dinner. The boat ran great (as expected) except for our Furuno Navnet display which has a gremlin blocking the map from displaying. This is the second time this occured so I have another call into Alcom Marine to change out the card.

Next month we will haul the boat for bottom paint and an oil change. Today was a good day. The game has started so time to go.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #927

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
What better way to kick off the Superbowl than a cruise on the bay in 75 degree sunshine weather? I couldn't think of another pregame warm-up so we decided to cast off the dock lines and set out. Despite the unbelievable weather the normal Sunday traffic was light so we decided to visit the fuel dock (first time in a year) and take on 100 gallons of diesel to bring us up to a half load or 209 gallons. We then headed for the Coronado bridge past Seaport Village to Coronado harbor. We had both PH doors and the center window open to keep cool (yes it was that warm on the water) as we cruised along at 1500rpm and 7.5 knots. After circling the harbor we headed back home passing the mega yachts docked downtown. After tieing up in our slip and rinsing down the boat we made a pitcher of margaritas and started to prepare for dinner. The boat ran great (as expected) except for our Furuno Navnet display which has a gremlin blocking the map from displaying. This is the second time this occured so I have another call into Alcom Marine to change out the card.

Next month we will haul the boat for bottom paint and an oil change. Today was a good day. The game has started so time to go.
Nice!

Slow Lane , 2000 Camano 31
Small craft advisory
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #928
Guru

Engine Change

I'm not sure I ever over powered a boat selection but this time I know I should have listened to the builder and believed the marketing media. But who would think a hull could be that efficient despite its shape having been proven for over 50 plus years. Well sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Last week we decided it was time to downsize the large 2.5hp Yamaha and go with an electric motor about half its size on the Gig Harbor (had a few of you thinking I was talking about the H38E didn't I) We did a trade in (got killed) and expect the new engine this week. Will let you know soon if this was the right decision and if we still reach displacement speeds soon. If we don't Mary will likely trade me in next.

John
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #929

City: St. Petersburg, Floriduh
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft low draft monohull liveaboard w twin 60hp outboards
Which electric outboard did you choose?
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #930
Guru

Torqeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Which electric outboard did you choose?
We purchased the 16lb 1.5hp engine. So far impressed with the simple assembly process consisting of three components (handle, battery and shaft/propeller). We picked it up Friday evening and took it the boat. We have been busy house hunting the past few weeks including this weekend so no time to charge and play with this new toy. Hopefully today I can get to the boat and starting reading the owners manual.

On a different subject we have the boat scheduled for it's first annual wax/polish. We like to do this annually to insure the boat always looks new. haul out for bottom paint and few small items is now planned for March.

It feels good to have the boat dialed in and like other new builds it took about one year after delivery to get everything done.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #931
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Salish Spirit
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Ordered a 1003C from Fisheries Supply at the Seattle Boat Show last month. Torqeedo rep there was helpful with some tips and threw in a few goodies. We won’t be operational until May so please share your experiences. Looking forward to a no gasoline boat!
flyer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #932
Guru

update

After sitting idle for two weeks we decided to take the boat out for ride. A small storm had passed through the day before leaving behind some wind but sunny clear skies. I noticed something interesting since I added the dingy to the top deck but everytime I back out of the slip the stern swings to port. We have always had this issue at this marina but some reason I think its getting worse. Now when I back out im turning the wheel over to help exit straight.

We stopped at the pump out station (first time in awhile) and had fun docking with the stiff breeze but did good. Mary took over and drove us across the bay and to the ocean. Visibility was unlimited as we enjoyed staying warm in the PH while taking a little spray on the PH windows. Passing sail boaters in their foul weather gear made us really appreciate the trawler style of boating. We took some speed/RPM readings which confirmed we we had an active tide helping us along. 7.5knots at about 1500rpm at 2gph.

After playing outside in the swells we turned around for home and fought the dang sail boaters who have little respect for the rules of road. Docking in our slip was a little challenging since both neighbors had their tenders tied up behind their boats (one was a 16' Boston Whaler). Add in one oversized sport fishing boat sticking out 5', the wind and current, I didn't have any room for error. Taking it very slow and aligning the boat up using forward/reverse and a little bow thruster got us in safely.

This week the boat is getting its annual wax job and looking good. We haul her out in 4 weeks for bottom paint. This boating stuff is sure fun.

John
Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #933
Guru

Winter Nights

So we did something I have missed the past few months which is spending the night aboard. When we had the N40's we lived part time aboard (Monday to Friday) year round. While I enjoyed every season but Mary didn't care for the chilly winter nights and mornings. Yes it can get cold in SD sometimes and reach the upper 40's some nights. This past week we needed to leave the townhome to the realtor for some showings. Yes we have started another phase in the journey of life which includes finding what we hope will be our forever home. Downsizing from a 4000 SF house on an acre isn't as easy as we thought. While we don't want the big yard we do want some room and finding that in this hot SD market has been challenging. Well we found a home in a little place called Rancho Santa Fe located about 15 north of SD. We are about 3 miles from the ocean up on a bluff overlooking two horse training centers. No we are not into horse's but far enough away we can appreciate the open space. From the same vantage point we can almost throw a rock and hit the two homes owned by some guy named Bill Gates. OK I'm stretching the ability of my arm a little but not who lives in the next hill. Not a bad place to live, now we just need all the pieces to come together including some creative financing (anyone have an extra million they can spare?).

Spending the last two nights aboard have been great and brings back great memories of the past summer and fall. Even Mary has enjoyed the evenings being warm and cozy. We actually got lucky with the weather at night only going down to the mid 50's. Dinners up in the PH have been excellent with different types of food while enjoying the views of downtown.

The boat looks great after the wax job including the dingy which I tried to clean the bottom and did only a fair job. It now looks brand new. We both are looking forward to longer days starting this weekend and more time aboard. Tonight we are watching the Bee Gees One Night Only concert from back in 2001. Great concert. Life was good today.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #934
Guru

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
John and Mary. Sounds like a nice couple of nights there in SD. We are now headed north on the Atlantic ICW. We plan to go to Ottawa and Montreal this summer. Looking forward to the day you guys can cruise the ICW too.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #935
Guru

Inverter Fuse

This was to be another weekend aboard as our realtor planned an open house on Sunday but the lack of power aboard forced us home Saturday evening. We actually spent Friday night aboard and was getting ready for a day out (around town not on the boat) when after I showered Mary said the TV went out. I immediately realized that we had two West Marine heaters running and the shower hot water heater likely kicked in during my shower taking the inverter off line. I know better and actually proud of both Mary and myself when it come to power management so I was mad at myself.

After reading the inverter (Low Battery) and unable to get a soft restart to work I call Scott. As usual he picked up the phone and started trouble shooting the problem. This guy is sharpe and always there. His initial thought was we ran the batteries down too low which I questioned since it was only 10 minutes but then again heaters are the worst thing to run off batteries. So a quick trip to West Marine and $100 dollars later I started to charge the batteries. After an hour I attempted another soft start followed by a hard start. Nothing, so I called Scott back and he immediately said "you blew a fuse". I didn't realize the inverter was wired with an in line fuse but upon checking it I could see it was blown. I told Mary lets go home and I will replace it in the morning. So we emptied the freezer and refrigerator then left for home. Fortunately home is only 8 minutes away depending on the lights.

This morning I visited our local marine supply store and purchased a new 200amp fuse then drove back to the boat. As luck wouldn't have it the fuse didn't fit due to one of the fuse block posts being bent. Not wanting to force anything I ran back out and purchased a new fuse block which only took ten minutes to install followed by the new fuse then hooked up the battery cables. I slowly added power and loads as I watched the control panel. Thank fully everything worked as designed and we have full power again.

A few observations regarding this small repair job includes;
1. Inverter is installed per the manufacturer specifications (location, cable sizes, ect)
2. Access to the inverter, batteries and fuse was very good through the large salon floor hatch.
3. ER lighting is excellent
4. Since the engine separates ER access I was still able to retrieve my tools stored forward without having to lift the PH access hatch which was nice.
5 Removable ER floor panels are the best design I can think off. I needed to remove one panel to reach the bottom of the inverter and a power cable screw due to my limited sizes of screwdrivers.

In summary I learned a few things, enjoyed working in a very large and well thought out ER and was fortunate the fuse blew before I toasted the inverter. Now hopefully my realtor had similar success.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #936
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I admire your positive attitude on everything.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #937
Guru

Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
I admire your positive attitude on everything.
Thank you, I would like to think that I'm a margarita glass half full type of person and try to find the positives in life. As I grow older I'm finding this approach to life in general helps smooth out rough times ( and seas). Now lets hope I don't blow another fuse.

John
Old 03-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #938
Guru

A new slip

When we took delivery of the boat we knew we wanted to keep her at Sunroad marina in SD where we kept our last three boats but finding a slip in a strong economy wasn't going to make it easy. Fortunately for us the marina management company appreciated return customers with new boats and found us a slip which we have really enjoyed. The only downside with the slip is that its 45' and we have to pay for the difference between our LOA and the slip size. Last week we received word a 40' slip was opening up and we ran down to take a look. Turned out to be a perfect location, not to far from the gate and we are surrounded by mostly sailboats providing a nice open feeling and great views all around. Today after work we plan to move the boat to her new home and start appreciating the slightly lower monthly slip fee. As we all know and appreciate about boating is that you can always move if you don't like something about your neighborhood.

John
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #939
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
When we took delivery of the boat we knew we wanted to keep her at Sunroad marina in SD where we kept our last three boats but finding a slip in a strong economy wasn't going to make it easy. Fortunately for us the marina management company appreciated return customers with new boats and found us a slip which we have really enjoyed. The only downside with the slip is that its 45' and we have to pay for the difference between our LOA and the slip size. Last week we received word a 40' slip was opening up and we ran down to take a look. Turned out to be a perfect location, not to far from the gate and we are surrounded by mostly sailboats providing a nice open feeling and great views all around. Today after work we plan to move the boat to her new home and start appreciating the slightly lower monthly slip fee. As we all know and appreciate about boating is that you can always move if you don't like something about your neighborhood.

John
Good for you! If you sleep at dock and wind picks up you will hear rigging slapping. Do keep that in mind as you get ready to change berths.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #940
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
You will like F dock John. We had good neighbors when there a few years ago. Watch out for the orange kitty.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote