Old 09-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #861
Guru

Running at higher RPM

Last weekend we decided to take the boat for a few hours and enjoy lunch off the coastline. Little did we know it was a major sail boat race weekend with numerous different racese all over bay and inlet. It didn't matter where we turned we were faced with boats coming from different directions. Even as we headed straight out the inlet we found ourselves in the middle of the "big" boats racing towards open waters. This was the first time I really appreciated the little extra speed the boat offers. I honestly believe it was a deciding factor in avoiding one potential incident when two sailboats came towards us from different directions and care we were on a direct course inside the channel.

A few observations that day included the very limited squatting of the stern when we increased RPM and excellent handling characteristics. Very unlike our previous boat. Fuel burn to speed ratio does off the chart above 1700 RPM. Noise level even at 2400 rpm was very acceptable and Mary didn't even comment. Overall great experience.

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #862
Veteran Member

City: Sharon, Ma
How many hours have you put on since you bought it?

Slow Lane
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #863
Guru

Engine Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
How many hours have you put on since you bought it?
We only have 80 hours on the Cummins 380hp. It has turned out to be a great engine and I would select Cummins again. We did over power the boat with the 380hp. I selected the larger engine for currents when we run the IWC but I don't think we need this much power. We plan to 80 miles in the ocean to Ensenada, Mexico over Thanksgiving and will play more with RPM / Speed / Fuel Burn to dial in the "sweet spot". I really appreciate the computer instrument display, its light years ahead of what we had with Lugger engines on the Nordhavn's.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #864
Guru

Sea Magazine

Anyone on the west coast may enjoy reading the Helmsman 38E boat test in the October issue of Sea Magazine. While the article was written for our boat the photos used are from a stock boat. Overall a great review by the publisher.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #865
Guru

Davit

After a longer than planned wait we finally received word our new custom designed davit is complete and ready for shipment to SD. We contracted with a local yard to receive the pallet of pieces which will be installed over a couple of days with the boat remaining in the water. I'm not looking forward to having people aboard but hopefully things will go smooth and no damage will occur.

I'm leaning towards the removable soft chocks for the boat to rest on since it will be in the water more than up top.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #866

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Skagit Orca 27XLC
Hi John,

Would you mind posting some before and after pictures with your story on this project, please? I want to learn from you as we will need to deal with this issue on the next boat.

Thanks!
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #867

City: Auburn, WA
Vessel Name: Knot2Fast
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38PH
Just to throw my 2 bits in... I own a 38 here in Seattle and use the soft chocks and can't say enough good things about them. With the hard permanent type i envisioned stubbed or broken toes, grand kids tripping etc. With these I just kick them to the corner when not in use and have a nice open fly-bridge deck. If they made taller ones I would have bought them just to get the dinghy up off the deck a little higher.
I tag the bow of the dinghy down around the davit post and the transom to the rails on the port side but honestly even in rough water I have never noticed any movement of the dinghy that may be a concern to some folks.

Knot2Fast is offline   Reply With Quote