Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #801
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hi dirtdoc1

What make boat is on your avatar. Looks interesting. Have you other photos?

Cheers!

Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #802
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Congratulations on your new Helmsman. I'm curious. Why the Helmsman instead of the North Pacific? It looks to be about the same quality and the same capability. I like the hardtop on the NP45. That was a nice touch. They even look very similar but there is something about the NP45 that I really like. Maybe it's the hardtop. The interior of the Helmsman is very nice but it's very nice on the NP. Was price the main consideration? I think the Helmsman is priced a bit more competitively.
We actually looked at the NP and spoke with Trevor more than once during our research. While our knowledge of the NP line of boats is limited we do appreciate some of their characteristics but in the end we selected the Helmsman 38 for its quality, hull shape, beam, low profile PH, value and proven capability based upon two other Nordhavn owners who owned H38's and used them hard in the PNW including many trips to Alaska. Hull design is very important to us and we discovered the Helmsman design is more a modified full displacement hull than a semi displacement hull which try's to offer both FD and SD speeds. The Helmsman hull is soft in all types of weather conditions where a SD design can be a little more rough. She is a 7.5 knot boat which was the speed we were looking for. Yes she will top out around 12 knot's but we will never reach those speeds and burn a ton of gas. We burn under 2GPH all day have a range of 800 miles which meets our needs. If we had to do it all over again we would build another Helmsman without spending another two years researching everything else out there. Hope this answers your question.

John

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #803
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Hmm, John I believe an FD hull around your length would top out at about 8kn. The fact that you cruise economically at 7.5 and top out at 12 means there is quite a lot of SD in the Helmsman hull. Of course the NP may be even further towards the planing end of the spectrum. And I hear what you say: your 38 rides soft, so they have got the displacement right and pretty much nailed the amount of SD characteristic to include.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #804

City: Palo Alto
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
We actually looked at the NP and spoke with Trevor more than once during our research. While our knowledge of the NP line of boats is limited we do appreciate some of their characteristics but in the end we selected the Helmsman 38 for its quality, hull shape, beam, low profile PH, value and proven capability based upon two other Nordhavn owners who owned H38's and used them hard in the PNW including many trips to Alaska. Hull design is very important to us and we discovered the Helmsman design is more a modified full displacement hull than a semi displacement hull which try's to offer both FD and SD speeds. The Helmsman hull is soft in all types of weather conditions where a SD design can be a little more rough. She is a 7.5 knot boat which was the speed we were looking for. Yes she will top out around 12 knot's but we will never reach those speeds and burn a ton of gas. We burn under 2GPH all day have a range of 800 miles which meets our needs. If we had to do it all over again we would build another Helmsman without spending another two years researching everything else out there. Hope this answers your question.

John
Hi John,

I didn't know about the hull difference. That was very helpful. Did you sea trial the NP45? I am also concerned about the hard chine design of the NP45. I have been looking at used late model Defever 49 or 50'. That's the boat I want but I don't want to spend $500k-$700k on a 10 year old boat. I think I'm going to end up with the NP45 because it's just about the right size for me and it's much more affordable. I'm going to sea trial the NP45 next week so I'll know better how she feels. Hopefully it will be a windy day.

While looking at the schematics I noticed that there was a 200 gal gas tank right next to a 175 gal water tank on each side of the boat. The two 175 gal water tanks could easily be used for gas instead. That would give her another 600 miles at 8 knots - at least. That would give her a range of approximately 1500 miles - conservatively. I'd add a high capacity water maker and put a 40gal water tank in the lazaret. I talked to Trevor about that and he said it could easily be done but suggested using the boat as is for a while, which I thought was sound advice. Any thoughts?

After reading your response I will be going in to the NP45 with a bit more information, so thanks for that.

Enjoy your new trawler and I hope to see you out there some day.

Cheers,

Dave
dirtdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi dirtdoc1

What make boat is on your avatar. Looks interesting. Have you other photos?

Cheers!

Art
It's a 2013 Carver C34 and it's for sale! Sorry about the sideways pics. They weren't that way originally.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	65749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	65750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	65751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	65752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	65753  

Old 06-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Hmm, John I believe an FD hull around your length would top out at about 8kn. The fact that you cruise economically at 7.5 and top out at 12 means there is quite a lot of SD in the Helmsman hull. Of course the NP may be even further towards the planing end of the spectrum. And I hear what you say: your 38 rides soft, so they have got the displacement right and pretty much nailed the amount of SD characteristic to include.
I like your Ocean Alexander 50. I've been looking at a couple of 2006 OA 50's. Very nice boat. Excuse me, Yacht.

Dave
Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #807
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thanks, Dave. Good luck selling your Carver and best times with your next boat! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #808
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
[QUOTE=dirtdoc1;563361]

While looking at the schematics I noticed that there was a 200 gal gas tank right next to a 175 gal water tank on each side of the boat. The two 175 gal water tanks could easily be used for gas instead. That would give her another 600 miles at 8 knots - at least. That would give her a range of approximately 1500 miles - conservatively. I'd add a high capacity water maker and put a 40gal water tank in the lazaret. I talked to Trevor about that and he said it could easily be done but suggested using the boat as is for a while, which I thought was sound advice. Any thoughts?

/QUOTE]

With the watermaker you might go to just one of the 175 Gal Water Tanks but I'd never consider only 40 gallons. Too often timing just wouldn't work. Depending on how frequently you need more range, if it's a necessity for a crossing or something, they you might consider bladders.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #809
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
I think any difference in the hull shapes are primarily marketing between the NP and the Helmsman. Both are SD hulls with the strengths and weaknesses inherent in an SD hull.

Both are well built boats. I would pick the one that has the layout that works best for you.

As for water/fuel tanks. 400 gal of fuel is a LOT of fuel. Unless you plan to cross oceans, or intend to drive the boat at it's max speed, it has plenty of range for a coastal cruiser. 350 gallons of water is a lot. I don't have a water maker because the PO pulled it out. He found he never needed it so it was a burden to maintain. A water maker would be good to have but I would hesitate to eliminate a water tank. The large tanks gives you a buffer in case you are in locations where you don't want run the water maker.

Btw, if you want to do passage making and want longer range, then I would suggest you not look at either the NP or the Helmsman. They are great coastal cruisers, but not passage makers.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #810
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think any difference in the hull shapes are primarily marketing between the NP and the Helmsman. Both are SD hulls with the strengths and weaknesses inherent in an SD hull.

Both are well built boats. I would pick the one that has the layout that works best for you.

As for water/fuel tanks. 400 gal of fuel is a LOT of fuel. Unless you plan to cross oceans, or intend to drive the boat at it's max speed, it has plenty of range for a coastal cruiser. 350 gallons of water is a lot. I don't have a water maker because the PO pulled it out. He found he never needed it so it was a burden to maintain. A water maker would be good to have but I would hesitate to eliminate a water tank. The large tanks gives you a buffer in case you are in locations where you don't want run the water maker.

Btw, if you want to do passage making and want longer range, then I would suggest you not look at either the NP or the Helmsman. They are great coastal cruisers, but not passage makers.
I'm not one to debate others but I need to make a comment here. There "is" a big difference between the Helmsman hull and all other "coastal cruisers" and the difference is the Helmsman is a modified full displacement hull and not a traditional semi displacement hull. The simple proof is softer ride and maximum speed. Everyone knows the limit of a FD hull is related to its hull length. If our 38 was a true FD it would max out around 6knotts. A true semi displacement hull would reach speeds around 20 knots. The fact we cruise at 7-7.5knots and max out at 11 - 12 knots confirms the deviation or modification from FD is minimal and possibly one of the better balanced hull designs in the small coastal cruising market place. The boat doesn't try to compete with the large market semi displacement market of go fast trawlers and is a special boat for those who understand the benefits of a FD hull but want just a touch more speed (20%) while keeping great range (800 miles). Hope this clarifies my original response.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #811
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
I'm not one to debate others but I need to make a comment here. There "is" a big difference between the Helmsman hull and all other "coastal cruisers" and the difference is the Helmsman is a modified full displacement hull and not a traditional semi displacement hull. The simple proof is softer ride and maximum speed. Everyone knows the limit of a FD hull is related to its hull length. If our 38 was a true FD it would max out around 6knotts. A true semi displacement hull would reach speeds around 20 knots. The fact we cruise at 7-7.5knots and max out at 11 - 12 knots confirms the deviation or modification from FD is minimal and possibly one of the better balanced hull designs in the small coastal cruising market place. The boat doesn't try to compete with the large market semi displacement market of go fast trawlers and is a special boat for those who understand the benefits of a FD hull but want just a touch more speed (20%) while keeping great range (800 miles). Hope this clarifies my original response.

I get it, but he was asking about the NP45 specifically compared to the Helmsman. Using your own metric, the NP42/43 hull cruises at 7 knots at 2gph (not as efficient as you have gotten with your Helmsman). Max speed is 10-12 knots. Very, very similar.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #812
Guru

nice surprise

Finally we had one of those unplanned and unexpected trips which started after work and intended to be a short one hour run just to keep the engine tuned. After a short stop at the pump out station we headed to the inlet and planned run outside but quickly realized it was 5:30pm and we didn't want to eat dinner too late so I told Mary we better turn around. With dinner on our mind Mary suggested we anchor out in our favorite cove near the SD Yacht Club and BBQ on the boat. We were the only boat there and the weather was a perfect70 degrees as we dropped anchor. While I was up top watching the BBQ a couple in a Boston Whaler kept circling the boat. We started talking and discovered they loved the styling of the boat so much they wanted to know more than I could answer in 5 minutes before dinner wad ready. After dinner we watched a little TV in the PH before pulling up the anchor and heading home. We arrived just as the sun was setting. It was our first sunset cruise and we enjoyed every minute. Sometimes the unplanned trips turn out to be the best.