Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #561
Guru

Bridge Controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
If I'm not mistaken, looking at the pictures, the bridge controls are at the aft end of the
pilot house. Wouldn't that be called "bridge deck controls"?
I thought a flying bridge mounted over the fore end of the pilot house.
My Oxford Maritime Dictionary(?) is still packed from our move.

Ted
Ted, great catch and I believe you are technically correct. Goes to show how relaxed we have become over the years with boating terms. Thanks

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #562
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
John,
Technicalities aside, I think you're going to have a delightful boat

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #563
Guru

Progress Report August 8 2016

Today we received another batch of photos showing nice progress as we start the home stretch to shipping day. I selected these two photo's of the galley / salon since they really shows off just how large this 38 footer is turning out. Its hard to believe how much open space there is with four people inside the boat, wow!

In other photo's (not posted) we can see the circuit panel has been installed and electrical wiring hanging all over the place. Since these photo's are almost a week old we think the yard will be finalizing electrical next week. Then start equipment installation.

Scott confirmed the boat leaves the yard on 8/20 for its trip to Shanghai then its off to Long Beach, CA. One change we had to deal with is the boat arriving in LB instead of SD. Not the end of the world and it actually provides us a nice 100 mile run south which we will use as a commissioning sea trial and training. We will be making the run with only a hand held VHF so the weather will need to be good (safety first) but this is the time of the year where we experience our best boating weather.

We have also been very busy with paperwork and coordinating everything that needs to come together before the boat ships. Next week Mary and I will to LB and check out a few shipyards for a few small commissioning tasks.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Salon Aug 7th.jpg   Salon View from aft Aug 7.jpg  
Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #564
Guru

City: West Coast
I think you will conclude that you the opportunity to run your new boat south is a blessing. That stretch really doesn't require radar or a chart plotter or anything more than your handheld. Do you have to fuel up in Long Beach? If so, Jancovich is probably your best choice (IMO) (Jancovich bought and closed Mike's).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #565
Guru

San Pedro / Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I think you will conclude that you the opportunity to run your new boat south is a blessing. That stretch really doesn't require radar or a chart plotter or anything more than your handheld. Do you have to fuel up in Long Beach? If so, Jancovich is probably your best choice (IMO) (Jancovich bought and closed Mike's).
We plan to take a drive to San Pedro / Long Beach this afternoon to see where the cargo container will tie up now that we know the shipping company. This port is one of the largest on the west coast and while we know we cannot enter the terminal area we should be able to get close. From there we will drive over to the yard we plan to use for the haul out. There are three options in the area but we are favoring Marina Shipyard based on recommendations from others who live in the area. I also like the fact this yard is south of the Queen Mary in Alamitos Bay and away from all the commercial traffic.

Assuming all goes as plan the boat should leave the yard one week from today. I think the next set of photo's will provide a level of confirmation that the boat is ready.

Last week was another tough one for Mary and I as we had to make the difficult decision to put down our beloved Daisy - our 16 1/2 year old dog. For us she was more than a pet, she was our family (we do not have kids) and my wife spoiled the heck out of her. We took her everywhere and she was with us on all three Nordhavn's (not always by choice). We will miss her not being on the new boat but will carry her memories with us. Loosing her only reminds us (again) how short life really is and the need to keep making memories.

John
Old 08-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #566
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
I'm sorry about your Daisy..
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #567
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post

Last week was another tough one for Mary and I as we had to make the difficult decision to put down our beloved Daisy - our 16 1/2 year old dog. For us she was more than a pet, she was our family (we do not have kids) and my wife spoiled the heck out of her. We took her everywhere and she was with us on all three Nordhavn's (not always by choice). We will miss her not being on the new boat but will carry her memories with us. Loosing her only reminds us (again) how short life really is and the need to keep making memories.

John
I think putting a pet down is especially difficult as you can't explain to them what is going on and you don't know what they are thinking nor are you sure whether they understand you. You simply hold them and comfort them best you can. You feel like they always trusted you to take care of them and somehow you've let them down, although you haven't. In fact you're taking care of them even then by keeping them from suffering and allowing them peace. Still terribly difficult.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #568
Veteran Member

I'm so very sorry to hear about Daisy. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things on the planet to go through. It sounds like she lived life to the fullest - a testament to the care and love you gave her over her very long run. I can guess that knowing she is now free of the pain and struggle that old age brings to all of us is of little consolation to you, but perhaps it offers some comfort. I hope memories of her will soon bring you joy instead of tears.
Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #569
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
John, when you have the canvas work done, I'd recommend a fitted bridge cover. Of the 5 or 6, 38s here on the Chesapeake, we a the only one with it. It sure hs protected our instruments and upholstery. And for those who are following the heat wave we are currently experiencing, our cover has appreciably reduced the cooling load. A sister ship in Charleston could not get their cabin below 82 degrees. With the same AC unit we can easily keep the cabin in the very low 70s. I think the bridge cover helps. Cristina and I generally run the boat from the pilothouse anyway.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #570
Guru

Progress Report

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to post about our beloved Daisy. It continues to be a difficult time for us both but mostly for Mary. We have identified a new puppy which we will see for the first time in two weeks and if all goes well we can pick up two weeks later. We know it is important not to find a dog to replace Daisy but rather look at the pup as a new dog and new chapter in our lives. One thing for sure is Mary doesn't want to be on the boat without a dog so it appears we will be getting a new pup soon.

Talk about timing its starting to look like the puppy will be ready the same week the boat gets to SD - wow. I'm not sure how all this will work out but we both need complex schedules and lots of things to do to keep us busy.

Scott was busy this week with representatives from the yard visiting up in Seattle but did report everything is tracking to complete the boat in a few days. We expect some new photos within a few days.

We confirmed which yard we will use for the haul out / quick commissioning and will start scheduling with the yard so not to lose any time once the boat is offloaded. One added twist is the decision by Scott to have new fresh new house batteries installed during commissioning. One thing I recall on one of new Nordhavns was the batteries being over one year old when we received the boat. I wasn't very happy about that but didn't make a bug deal about it.

All the financial coordination is lining up (the boat does need to be paid for before she leaves China) and I'm finalizing the insurance coverage start date.

Next step is to confirm the electronics package and get things ordered for a mid September installation in SD.

So far so good!

John
Old 08-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #571
Veteran Member

When we lost our last dog, the house was painfully empty. I needed time - a month? several months? to process the grief. Bruce couldn't handle it, and within a week he had located a new puppy and we were bringing him home. I did not want to do it, but we did. It was hard: caring for an infant, a stranger, while mourning a best friend. But it was the best thing we ever did. Hard, definitely, but good. I would do it that way again next time (and there will be a next time). You will feel the pain of missing Daisy for a long time, but you will love the puppy too. And the puppy will soil your new boat! Treasure the memories. Welcome the new pup.

Congrats on the near-completion.
Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #572

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
The only thing probably keeping you from sliding off your seat in anticipation is the exhaustive preparation you have ahead of you the next few weeks. Very exciting time, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you. Looking forward to you taking the wheel and sharing your thoughts on how the boat, with all your customization, meets your expectation. Congrats, John!
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #573
Guru

Progress Report

Not very much to report today except for more work coordinating the boats eventual arrival and plans. To help us deal with the loss of Daisy we will likely take a few days off late next week and head to Cabo San Lucas for a change in scenery. Our last visit was about nine years ago so we expect things to be different but still fun including a 40 mile drive north along the pacific to a little town where "Hotel California" is the center of attention. I remember walking into the "art deco" style lobby with its dark blue walls and 1970's vintage decoration and the Eagles music playing everywhere. The hotel implies the song was written there and we believed it making the experience that much more fun. It wasn't until this year I learned that was not true and the real hotel referenced was the Bel Air hotel in Beverly Hills CA. Well at least the margaritas and music were good and we plan to visit again.

We also look forward to seeing the newer marina that was still being built last time we visited. I consider this a little pre-planning in case we decide to join what was the FUBAR or Baha ha ha run south in 2017. We also plan to look at houses and condo's and see if we think we would like a small second home there for retirement. That's about it for now.

John
Old 08-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #574
Guru

Electronics

This morning I found myself reviewing our electronics selection one last time before contracting with Alcom Marine. Since the H38E has a single console to starboard, space is a premium for mounting displays and everything else that goes with the electronics package. Scott already confirmed our boat will be the first with the slightly larger console which can accommodate a 12" display but I was still concerned. This resulted in me sorting through recent photo's of the pilothouse and the one below which turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I was so use to a small and narrow overhead console on our previous boats that when I took a closer look at the photo I realized we have a significant room and depth above for radios and instruments. It was mostly the radios that had me concerned but as we can see the depth is fine. On this boat we may install one radio to port for Mary to use in case I'm busy navigating or have an emergency and the other to starboard plus one in the FB. A wind indicator and possibly an electronic compass will also be installed to starboard.

In the photo we can also see how nice the new PH forward facing windows turned out providing clear visibility looking forward. We are looking forward to seeing final photos of the boat soon since she is scheduled to leave the factory today.

John

John
Attached Thumbnails
PH Instrument Panel .jpg  
Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #575
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
This morning I found myself reviewing our electronics selection one last time before contracting with Alcom Marine. Since the H38E has a single console to starboard, space is a premium for mounting displays and everything else that goes with the electronics package. Scott already confirmed our boat will be the first with the slightly larger console which can accommodate a 12" display but I was still concerned. This resulted in me sorting through recent photo's of the pilothouse and the one below which turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I was so use to a small and narrow overhead console on our previous boats that when I took a closer look at the photo I realized we have a significant room and depth above for radios and instruments.
We have a 14 inch chartplotter and 10 inch radar on the console. Our VHS, depth, autopilot, stereo head unit, soc meter and spotlight remote in the overhead (with room to spare). Our overhead is hinged which makes accessing the wires really simple. It has been a great layout. Sounds similar to what you will have. I like the idea of the second radio on the other side of the pilot house.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #576
Guru

Update

A quick update before we depart tomorrow for Cabo. This week included more coordination, meetings and signing of documents in preparation of the boat shipping from China. We also had to firm up the insurance and get that in place today - long story.

I asked Scott if he would be willing to help us out and have his supplier of the batteries add two additional house batteries to the commissioning shipment in Long Beach. Scott pulled though and confirmed today they will be provided. This will provide us with four house batteries from day one. Time will tell if we have enough or need more but I believe we should be ok for awhile.

We have a firm date of 9/22 to offload the boat which should work out well since we are scheduled to pick up the new puppy on 9/16. Yes, we decided to fill the emptiness in the house with another Chihuahua pup. Little does she know she will be spending a lot time on the water. While her name is still TBD, Mary likes Sailor Blue (so do I but my New York accent doesn't do "sailor" justice per Mary).

A few open items includes securing the thru-hull transducer and finalizing the electronics package which will wait until we return. I decided to purchase a hand held GPS unit for the trip south to SD just in case we run into fog. That's about it for now.

John
Old 08-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #577
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Not long now! What type of house batteries? We have four 6v golf carts and find that has been plenty for our boating style (which usually entails running the genny for at least an hour or so per day for cooking and heating hot water, even if we are not using AC and heat).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #578
Guru

City: Vermont
Does this mean the boat is on the freighter and underway? That would be great news.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #579
Guru

Change of Container Ship

Well we are back from a few days in Cabo San Lucas and getting caught up on the boat. Before we discuss the boat I would like to say that after nine years since our last visit to Cabo things have changed. Even the last time we visited we were surprised by the amount of building that was going on but this time it was like southern California - crazy. The entire corridor between Cabo and Los Cabos is almost all filled up with hotels and residential communities. The amazing thing is how expensive the homes are, we are talking $1M - $3M on or very close to the beach.

We had a great time including Todos Saintos (about 50 miles north) and having a drink at the original Hotel California. We also spent one day driving to La Paz (about 100 miles) where we had lunch on the water and right in front of a Nordhavn 56MS. We didn't realize the boat would be there and knew the owner from emails. He walked over and we started talking before he invited us aboard for more boat talk. La Paz was actually a little cooler and less humid than Cabo which we found interesting. We had no idea the town was so big with modern amenities like Cabo. We were looking for one marina not four! It was a blast.

Now back to the boat and a quick progress report. We had to change cargo container ships which meant leaving Shanghai a week later than planned. This actually worked out well since we pick up the new puppy on the 16th and per Mary nothing was going to impact that higher priority (Scott we got lucky). With the boat arriving the following week we will have close to a week at home with Sailor Blue before her first car ride to SD and going aboard.

Below are a few photo's from last week showing the boat complete (less cushions) and getting ready for shipment. Again I can honestly report we are more than excited how nice everything appears to have turned out. The finish is everything we were expecting.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 27 head .JPG   PH Aug 27.jpg   Salon Aug 27.jpg   Aug 25 Aft View .jpg  
Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 PM   #580
Guru

Exterior Photo

I hesitated to post this photo only because of the protective blue film the yard uses is starting to peel off but I think we can look beyond this. A few observations we took away from this particular picture is how much longer the boat looks with the extended, upper aft deck and railing. We always thought the H38PH had a sleek look with its low profile PH set aft, but with this extension of the upper aft deck and the redesigned bow railing it really shows as a more modern looking trawler - something Mary was looking for. Again I need to stress this is our opinion and we recognize not everyone will agree - which is fine.

Another take away from this photo is our slightly smaller (15%) salon windows which provides a wider space between the two port side windows. Its not very much but I think it gave us the balance of natural light, interior wood and safety we were looking for. You can also see the upper deck overhang above the salon windows which should help keep rain water from dripping down. I'm sure there are more changes with this new deck mold we can not see in the photos and look forward to identifying them once the boat arrives.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior Side View Aug 27.jpg