Old 04-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #381
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
"The other stuff you mention, I don't do so much. I do have one form of exercise I like a lot that burns about 200 calories an hour. "

Pilates?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Wifey B: No. Pilates burns 360 calories an hour but not nearly as much fun.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #382

City: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pamela Sue II
Vessel Model: Helmsman PH38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by aginglawyer View Post
We were quite happy to have our new 38PH in the Seattle Boat Show in January and were comfortable that it would be carefully attended to by Scott and his crew. It was on display for about 10 days and lots of our friends got a chance to see it as well. I am sure Scott managed to sell a couple of boats as a result of it being there and I couldn't see any problems with any damage or wear from all of the visitors. I wasn't using the boat at the time and there were still some details to be completed.

I am proud of the boat. I trust Scott to look after it. Scott and Lisa have been more than generous with their time and advice on the build of the boat and the learning curve of handling the boat. It is nice to be able to return the favor a bit. I even authorized them to take some potential buyers out for a ride on the boat. While doing so, Scott discovered something he didn't like and had it fixed.

Win win is when everyone is happy.
We went aboard your boat at the show and after several years looking, decided to buy a Helmsman 38 after about 20 minutes on board. It is great to follow you and Johns posts after I had already ordered the boat- validation is good. Heading over to Fuzhou China next month to check on the build. Hope to see the new house design. All very exciting.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #383
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
We went aboard your boat at the show and after several years looking, decided to buy a Helmsman 38 after about 20 minutes on board. It is great to follow you and Johns posts after I had already ordered the boat- validation is good. Heading over to Fuzhou China next month to check on the build. Hope to see the new house design. All very exciting.
So, are you getting the new house design and changes initiated by John?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:29 AM   #384
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: No. Pilates burns 360 calories an hour but not nearly as much fun.
New exer-sitions available/required. Up to 500 cals per hour joyfully attainable!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #385
Guru

congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
Congratulations on your new boat. Sorry I missed you in Seattle. When did you purchase the boat? I hope my posts didn't influence you too much ��

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #386

Yes. All great improvements to the boat.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Congratulations on your new boat. Sorry I missed you in Seattle. When did you purchase the boat? I hope my posts didn't influence you too much ��

John
Your post did influence many of the features I selected. I really appreciate your input on some of the design changes that have now been incorporated into the 38E.

I placed the order in early March, the hull is already in lay-up.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #388
Guru

A look at anchor positions

A while back I mentioned to Scott we were looking to delete the SS anchor hull guard on our boat only after confirming it was more of a cosmetic thing than practical guard due to its location. I recaledl on a few of our other boats the anchor platform was a little too close to the hull and we had to be very careful retrieving the anchor so not to let it hit the hull and chip the gelcoat (ouch) but that was always below the guard or plate.

I believe on the H38E there is enough clearance and this should not be an issue so we have decided to option for a slightly cleaner look this time around and delete the plate. I'm sure the first time the swinging anchor hits the bow that high up I will be swearing to myself "why didn't I just leave well enough alone" but hopefully not.

Remember also that we have extended the bow railing over and beyond the anchor pulpit which will allow for a little better handling during release and retrieval operations.

John
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #389
Guru

Question Helmsman Owners Site - Coming Soon

As if I don't bug Scott enough about our boat and continue to bounce around even more enhancements there was one "no cost" suggestion I have been pushing the past few months that is starting to make some traction. It is the establishment of a "Helmsman Owners Site" where owners can log in and discuss all aspects of their boats and adventures.

I found the amount of information and assistance on the Nordhavn Owners site very valuable and enjoyed it for many years up until last month when I decided it was time to let go and focus totally on the new boat. Needless to say I am very excited about this great opportunity to meet owners across the country and learn from their experiences. Despite being around boats my entire life and owning a few different makes and models I look at every new boat as a new adventure and enjoy learning from others.

While it will take Scott and Lisa a few more weeks to have the site up and running I'm very pleased to see it will occur. No worries for TF fans who have been following this thread since I plan to continue to write about our new build journey here for a long time assuming the folks in charge don't get tired of me.

John T.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #390
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
"The other stuff you mention, I don't do so much. I do have one form of exercise I like a lot that burns about 200 calories an hour. "

Pilates?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Shouldn't that be Pirates?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #391

City: Green Country
I will in no way speculate on Mrs. Wifey B's appetite for doing pirates....

MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #392
Guru

Quote:
I will in no way speculate on Mrs. Wifey B's appetite for doing pirates....

Wifey B: Thinking maybe I'll get hubby a pirate outfit.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #393
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Thinking maybe I'll get hubby a pirate outfit.
OOOOOOOhhh
Old 04-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #394
Guru

An old school approach

Being a fan of most all boats and different construction methods, I especially appreciate anything that is built by hand. There is just something about craftsmanship that is missing in most new boat construction short of a custom wood boat.

This brings me to the topic of applying the boats name to the transom. I can remember as clear as day the first time I met the older gentleman who came to our first N40 (11 years ago) and introduced himself as the "painter". I believe he was in his late 70's and had a very frail build. I was actually concerned about his safety and ability to complete our job but was reassured by others he was the best. A few days after we discussed the job we visited the boat and seen "Maria Elena" hand painted on the transom to perfection. The use blue and silver colors against the gray hull provide the perfect level of contrast. He even added two small palm trees to the "i" in San Diego just as Mary requested. What a great job we both thought. I think what I appreciated more than anything was slight brush marks you could see if looked for them. It reminded me of the traditional way of doing things with a touch of class.

Fast forward to the second and third trawlers and the painters used computer generated lettering with paint (I never watched the process) which provided excellent results but I miss those brush marks.

Looking forward to this boat I plan to spend a little more time looking for a true artist who can add that little special touch. We have not yet decided on a name (Mary wants to see the boat first before determining if it is another "Maria Elena") but we need to start thinking.

If anyone knows of an excellent "boat name" artist in Southern California please let me know. Thanks

John
Old 04-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #395
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Perhaps the older gentleman is still available, and might enjoy hearing your appreciation for his previous work. He may enjoy rolling up his sleeves again, especially for you, even if he has moved along or retired. Might be fun and provide you both with a story.
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:29 AM   #396
Art
Guru

I found our professional, artistic, hands-on sign painter via CL. Good place to post a request and to look.

Fabulous job he did with multiple colors of auto pinstripe paints. Looks as good today (8 years) as the day he painted it. He said at least 20 years before there may be any change at all. We also purchased a good array of Testor model paints...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141824066100?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

...for the nick that happens every once in a while when something hits it and places small chink.

This young man entered the Navy. We were his last private boat name. Linda and I designed it; rough out drew it. He artistically improved it and painted it on by hand. Yes, there are some brush strokes... we love em! There is much meaning and background to numerous highlights inside our boat's art filled name

I don't want to hijack this thread with our boat's name picture. So, either tell me to post it here or PM me your email address and I'll send boat name photos to you.

Happy Boat-Name Installation Daze - Art
Old 04-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #397
Guru

Engine Room Storage

The other day I was talking to Scott about the engine and the location of different equipment and the topic of tool storage cabinet came up. While this may not sound very important to some readers, anyone who has spent time aboard and works on their own boat will appreciate this little "extra" built-in storage cabinet designed to keep tools stored safely. The cabinet is standard equipment (nice surprise) on the H38E and is located on the forward / starboard side of the engine. Its a great location to keep tools, fluids, rags and towels and other miscellaneous items all in one place.

When I think back on our previous boats, none of them offered this nice touch (even as an option) which resulted in myself having to locate places to securely hold down my toolbox and everything else mentioned above. I ended having things stuffed into different corners of the ER. Needless to say not everything stayed put after a long run in rough seas. This makes me wonder what some builders are thinking when they design the engine room and forget to include this simple but yet very important to the future owner.

Another nice touch on the H38E - Scott if your reading this please keep up the good work.

John
Old 04-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #398
Guru

We're strong believers in everything having it's place. We carry a lot of spares and tools.There should be no struggling to figure out where to put them. We hear people say there is no space. That's because the space there is being poorly utilized. It's almost like they forget it's three dimensional. It's amazing how much storage you can gain in one small unused bit of wall over equipment, even overhead. Much of what you need does not take up much space when properly stored. With hangers or shelves or cubbies of some sort, it's amazing what you can get in even a 2x2 space. These cabinets can be very lightweight too so weight doesn't become an issue.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #399
Guru

Interesting Photo

I believe when someone copies another's idea, design or concept the person being copied has a few options; 1) they can become upset or, 2) view it as flattery and move on, or 3) consider it as recognition that others appreciate their work so much they felt compelled to try and copy it which may bring up other issues.

We see similarities in most everything we purchase today (including boats) and while some may consider it a form of competition (improving on someone else idea without infringement on ones patent, copyright or Intellectual Properties (IP)) some may take a different view. So what does this have to do with building our H38E?

Take a look at page 14 of the May issue of Power and MotorYacht magazine. It appears someone else thinks the design of the H38E is something special.

John
Old 04-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #400
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Mr B-so right on finding little extra storage space, especially overhead which you pointed out is often overlooked. A friend solved that problem with a socket set. His wife gave him one of those big like 150 piece socket sets in a big plastic case, all wrenches and sockets nicely labelled. All pieces firmly held on place in their proper spots. But he couldn't figure out where to keep it, he did not want to take all the pieces out and just throw them in his toolbox in the ER. But he found a flat spot right over the workbench in his ER. He then fastened the top of the case to the ceiling of the ER over the workbench. Now when he opens the case, the bottom folds down and all the pieces are right at eye level and easily available. When he finishes, he puts everything back, closes the case and it is secure against the ceiling. I've always thought it was a pretty cool solution.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote