Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #21

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Mine was added 13 years ago before I owned the boat. Custom aluminum frame with stitched on cover. It's great. Just replaced the cover for <$400 and expect it will last another 12-13 years...
Check out Hardtotop as they make some modular hardtops that could be installed with a simple stainless frame...

Wow..thanks. That looks like it might just do the trick. Just dropped hardtotop an email.

toni

ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 PM   #22

They did say they were very busy, but I agree, that price seemed pretty high.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
CT: Have you looked at all the different cockpit covers from the Camano's on YachtWorld? I have and noticed there are several different types.

Some are more bimini tube like and have no aft supports at all. Others are also bimini tube like but DO have a small tube supports.

Some are more heavy duty and have very beefy frames with a stamoid type top.

Then I've seen a true hard top with big angled supports which was pretty impressive.

SO many styles and types! I'm not sure what I wanna get. It's a big decision because I also wanna enclose the upper helm and do the flybridge privacy canvas around the perimeter.

In order of importance I wanna work on the flybridge first. A dry cockpit would be nice but a dry and protected bridge is better IMO!!

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #24

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
CT: Have you looked at all the different cockpit covers from the Camano's on YachtWorld? I have and noticed there are several different types.

Some are more bimini tube like and have no aft supports at all. Others are also bimini tube like but DO have a small tube supports.

Some are more heavy duty and have very beefy frames with a stamoid type top.

Then I've seen a true hard top with big angled supports which was pretty impressive.

SO many styles and types! I'm not sure what I wanna get. It's a big decision because I also wanna enclose the upper helm and do the flybridge privacy canvas around the perimeter.

In order of importance I wanna work on the flybridge first. A dry cockpit would be nice but a dry and protected bridge is better IMO!!
Just be prepared for the extra windage with a flybridge and/or cockpit enclosure. It's going to be a lot different docking in winds with the added canvas versus without. I have cockpit and flybridge enclosures and the boat moves around a lot when docking in winds. I love my canvas, and overall the benefits far exceed the downsides of additional windage, but just be prepared. I can deal with a little extra movement when docking to gain the benefit of basically two extra "rooms" on the boat. One thing I do when docking in winds is open all canvas windows/doors to let the wind pass through.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #25

since i'm only looking at the cockpit cover, i'd be surprised if the wind will make any significant difference. But you never know. In my experience, the biggest asset when docking into the wind.... is someone who knows how to handle lines well. I'm sure lots of folks have had the same experience, toss a line to someone on the dock...who ends up now having a clue where to set it...how how to listen to direction. Such is boating.

toni
Old 12-17-2017, 01:59 AM   #26

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
since i'm only looking at the cockpit cover, i'd be surprised if the wind will make any significant difference. But you never know. In my experience, the biggest asset when docking into the wind.... is someone who knows how to handle lines well. I'm sure lots of folks have had the same experience, toss a line to someone on the dock...who ends up now having a clue where to set it...how how to listen to direction. Such is boating.

toni
You won't notice a difference with just a cockpit cover. I was talking about enclosures with vertical pieces that add to windage.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
You won't notice a difference with just a cockpit cover. I was talking about enclosures with vertical pieces that add to windage.
got that..just messin with ya
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #28

With Meannder safely tucked into her boathouse, time to get to work. small delay while i recover from yesterdays surgery to fix a torn bicep tendon but....

Decided to go with the 'hardtotop" product. Should have the measurements done and photos done within a couple weeks. Just curious if any other Troll owners have used them and might have suggestions. My plan will be to go side to side full width, and perhaps extend the back 6" or so.
toni
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Looking forward to seeing the results

I haven't made up my mind yet but I am also looking to mount a pair of solar panels on top for extended anchoring. Maybe a net underneath for life preserver storage and a fishing pole holder...
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #30

i really go back and forth on the solar panels. i think i'll use it for this summer and then decide. i've used each of my boats a little different from the last, so i'll wait to see how much time i spend on the anchor. as for fishing, I do my best fishing at Safeway, so not too worried about storing the gear.

toni