Old 03-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Camano Radar Arch

Looking to upgrade my Raymarine chartplotter and radar, and it got me thinking about relocating the radome to an arch similar to that shown in the picture. Anybody have a setup like this on a camano? The arch is only about 100 pounds, and I *think* there is enough fiberglass to mount the arch on the outside of the flybridge cowling. I have a flybridge enclosure and the arch should fit under it.

The old radar location meant that I couldn't really see behind the boat which was kind of annoying. I'd keep antennas, GPS, anchor light, etc. up on the arch versus these units currently dangling off my flybridge rails.

Atlantic towers seem like a good option: Boat Radar Arches | Tower In A Box | Atlantic Towers

Comments/suggestions please and thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
camano arch.jpg  
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
I wonder if you could get one from Helmsman, since the new Camano's come with an arch.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Jhance: Check out this one. The guy just used some SS stock and made a cool platform. Then he "tied" it into the bimini frame. Interesting setup,I wonder how strong it is though....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	74381

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #4

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
not sure if the photo is of the boat that was for sale in Laconner, as it had what appears to be the identical arch. I looked pretty hard at that boat, but didn't give it much consideration precisely because of the arch. I keep my boat under cover, which is a bunch more difficult with a tall arch like that. That one did look pretty spiffy though.

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Guru

Toni, this boat was from Rhode Island actually. I also like the cockpit bimini. I like how the frame doesn't have any supports that get in the way in the cockpit.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
That's nice for a solar panel setup. I like the look of the larger tubing though. Just not sure how the aluminum arch will look against the SS railings and bimini support... should look OK. Main reason is to get the radar up higher so I can see ferries and ships bearing down on me from behind
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
This is what I did to move the radar. A custom made mast from PYI in Lynnwood, Wa.
Attached Thumbnails
mast2.jpg   mast3.jpg  
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Toni, this boat was from Rhode Island actually. I also like the cockpit bimini. I like how the frame doesn't have any supports that get in the way in the cockpit.
Actually, I was referring to the original photo posted by JHance.

and....I did go back and check and it is the local boat. Here's a picture of it moving on the water. I'm way too stupid to figure out how to post photos, but this MIGHT be a link to it..Looks pretty nice with the stainless arch.

toni

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1502478623000
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
I just received a cockpit bimini from Hardtotop.com Right now, its laid out in my office making sure I can put it together. Its a bit sparce on directions. I had them make it so it attaches the same way, with no vertical supports. I'll get some photos, and maybe share them...if I can figure that part out.
toni
Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
I just received a cockpit bimini from Hardtotop.com Right now, its laid out in my office making sure I can put it together. Its a bit sparce on directions. I had them make it so it attaches the same way, with no vertical supports. I'll get some photos, and maybe share them...if I can figure that part out.
toni
Nice. I'm sending you a PM.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #11

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
I bought the "Rhode Island Boat" in July 2017, and the radar/solar panel frame has held up very well, including in rolling and pitching seas. But, I have tied lateral brace lines for hurricane preparation to limit lateral motion of the frame, and over the winter, etc. Whether or not that helps, the radar and solar panel are still there, and the frame is just as it was when I bought the boat in July, 2017. Having said that, I'm looking at replacing the OEM electronics, and am considering a more conventional radar mast, and moving the solar panel somewhere else. (BTW, the solar panel is very effective! Disconnected shore power for roughly two months including both SE hurricanes, and it had a great charge when I powered up in October. I will definitely keep the solar panel!) A single tower mast braced to the aft rail on the bridge and maybe deck braces to the 6' level (8' mast), or a tower that goes side to side over the entire bridge, bolted into the sides of the bridge are among options I'm looking at. The present radar seems aimed too high, misses some visible targets, and being old technology, it sends a very powerful signal just over the heads of anyone on the bridge. I don't like that, and will probably go with a Garmin Fantom - new tech - less power usage, safer 40W signal overhead, better imaging. Bottom line, I'm thankful for how well the existing tower has held up, but perhaps a more conventional tower or arch will be more confidence inspiring. Overall, the boat has been great, with minor adjustments. Happily cruising down here in nc - small trawler heaven! Looking forward to more ambitious destinations in 2019. Radar is a significant aid down here, if you look at the ICW in northern NC - limited site distances and many twists in the ICW. Nice to be able to use radar and AIS to have a good idea of what barge and shrimp boat traffic lies ahead, as they have to maintain near-center channel at all times in narrow passages.

I welcome suggestions on masts, radar, replacement MFDs, etc. (I do use navionics on a tablet for back up, currently the best charts on board other than paper ones.)

Alex
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote