Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Camano 31

Just finished sailing after many years and now I'm considering a Camano. Most of boating is on Lake Michigan. Would appreciate the opinions of this craft by experienced trawler sailors. Thanks
bseagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We bought a 202 model in 2004 and sold it in 2008 We cruised the gulf coast many times from Houston to Sanibel Is. Florida. They are great boats with speed when needed yet good fuel economy at lower speeds. They are very well built and low maintenance, (no exterior teak).
We upsized looking for wide side decks, aft cabin, and stall shower.
Steve W
Any questions feel free to PM me
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I have one and my wife and I love it. As Steve said, well built and low maintenance.

Photos here:

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Log of a cruise we took here:

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/Adventu...IGH_COTTON.pdf
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Great boats! We did a ton of research on them last year in anticipation of getting one ourselves. Here is a link to a thread we started on the topic: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...l-vs-7101.html

If you do a Google search, you will also come across a few articles about them and the factory. Rwidman is the resident expert here, and was a great resource for us. I strongly suggest you read his blog.

So, now the million dollar question, did we get one? After flying all over the East Coast and looking at several boats, we stumbled upon a good deal on a Nordic 32 and decided to go that route. It had nothing to do with the Camano (we were certain we were getting one) just that we didn't think we could afford a Nordic of the year we wanted until the stars aligned.

If you are actively looking, I've got a very detailed spreadsheet of the Camanos that were on the market late last year when we were looking, and most of which are probably still on the market. The ones we researched are pretty much all on the East Coast between MA and FL. We also viewed several in person and I'd be happy to share thoughts, pictures, etc., before you spend any money traveling to see the boats. Just PM me if you want any of this information.

As I said at the outset, great boats and I don't think you will go wrong with one. Best of success on your search.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
...............So, now the million dollar question, did we get one? After flying all over the East Coast and looking at several boats, we stumbled upon a good deal on a Nordic 32 and decided to go that route. It had nothing to do with the Camano (we were certain we were getting one) just that we didn't think we could afford a Nordic of the year we wanted until the stars aligned. ........
Sorry to hear that, but as long as you're happy, that's what really counts.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #6

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Here's a link to an article by Seymour C. Lyons in the current issue of one of our local boating magazines. It takes a close look at a Camano 31. (Use the Z key to zoom in on the page, and arrow keys to move around for reading).

Pacific Nor
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

City: Georgian Bay, Ontario
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Model: 1998 Camano 31
We bought our 1998 Camano 31 Troll 2 years ago and have enjoyed it very much. This was our first "real" boat after having ski boats and outboards.
We find it has a good range and is quite economical to operate. We typically cruise at 9 knots but the option for more speed if required is nice to have.
We've been out in 4 to 5 foot waves with no issues. The relatively shallow draft and protected prop also mean we can get in to some very secluded bays and anchorages, and in Georgian Bay there seem to be rocks everywhere.
It seems like a great boat for a couple. As soon as you try and sleep more than two people it becomes cramped in a hurry. The holding tank is also fairly small, which can limit the number of days we can stay out.
We don't have a generator but I installed 2 X 80W solar panels last summer (Solbian flexible panels that are sewn into our bimini top) and have 4 deep cycle 12V house batteries. We've been anchored out for a week with no power issues, although power requirements are quite small on this boat, with the main consumer being the frig.
I would say the overall build quality is very good and the boat has been very solid so far - we're pleased with our purchase and have no regrets so far.
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Here is something interesting, when I was selling my Camano in July 2008 at a low point in the boat market I advertized on MTOA, Other free forums and put a couple of ads in Passagemaker. The usual nigerians and a couple curious lookers contacted me but nothing serious for months. One day I get an email from a a guy in Sweden, he had seen the ad in Passagemaker, he knew of the boats and had seen one, probably the only one in Europe, and liked it. We haggled back and forth on price and finally settled. He flew over to see her, arriving Wed afternoon, I brought him to see her at my slip. He liked her and we even made a "sea trial" up and down the bayou a few times. he decided to buy, and at about 3 in the morning he called his banker in Sweden, and ordered the funds transferred to my account. At nine I called my banker the funds were in my acct. We started getting her ready for shipment, Bimini and dinghy stowed and all secured. We notarized the sale and brought her to a travel lift on Friday. Monday before Noon she was on a truck headed for Brunswick, GA to board a freighter for Sweden. She arrived Sweden fine he has sent me pics and is enjoying her.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Sorry to hear that, but as long as you're happy, that's what really counts.
Don't be sorry, both Camano and Nordic made/make great boats to similar standards. We had an offer on a mint Camano, but even after raising our offer, the owner decided to take the boat off the market and hold onto it. It was shortly thereafter, as we were deciding where to make the next Camano offer, that the NT came along. We are really enjoying the NT, but I'm sure we will miss the Camano flybridge come spring.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We all like different boats and there's lots of different boats out there. That's basically why we mostly all have different boats.

But there's lots of Nordic Tugs (basically my favorite boat that I'm likely to buy) and lots of Camano 31s also. Good thing you're not looking for a Fisher or a Willard as there's very few.

The Nordic is (I believe) a considerably heavier boat and displacement is the biggest element of trawler that makes a trawler. Perhaps a ride in both would be a very revealing experience. I see a nordic on YW w a 4 cyl 115hp engine for about 100K.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The Nordic is (I believe) a considerably heavier boat and displacement is the biggest element of trawler that makes a trawler. Perhaps a ride in both would be a very revealing experience. I see a nordic on YW w a 4 cyl 115hp engine for about 100K.
We can't speak to having compared the ride, as we never got to sea trial a Camano, but there is quite a difference in displacement. I believe the Camano is around 10,000 lbs, and our 2002 Nordic 32 comes in at 16,000. Interior space is also much more substantial on the Nordic - I'd venture to guess that our main saloon is about the size of the saloon in the Camano. However, in the Camano, the saloon incorporates the pilot house steering station, while there is a separate house in the Nordic. That was one of the few drawbacks we saw in the Camano - a fixed chair takes up a lot of space, and a folding chair isn't going to be as stable when it gets rough. The NT 32 also has more storage, a larger berth, and much larger head (which includes a separate shower). Not surprising given that the Camano is only about 28 feet on deck. Depending on year, the Nordic carries twice the fuel, and has a 30 gal holding tank. But, no flybridge on the Nordic, and the Camano is better on fuel. Given the lower displacement, it is also not a surprise that the Camano should have a higher top end, except for maybe some of the newer Nordics, which I think are overpowered. We have the 220 Cummins and that is more than enough for us - cruises very nicely at 7-10 knots, and topped out at 15.5 WOT during the sea trial (a number we will probalby never hit again). All that said, we still admire both boats.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

City: Hendersonville, NC
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I too am a fan of the Camano. Love the robust construction and running gear protection. But after years of climbing into a V berth the Admiral reallty wants a regular Queen bed. The search continues. Also i have seen some ads stating the Volvo turbo charger was rebuilt after 400 hours. That is scary and makes me think a normally aspirated diesel is a better choice.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I too am a fan of the Camano. Love the robust construction and running gear protection. But after years of climbing into a V berth the Admiral reallty wants a regular Queen bed. The search continues. Also i have seen some ads stating the Volvo turbo charger was rebuilt after 400 hours. That is scary and makes me think a normally aspirated diesel is a better choice.
I've been a member of the Camano owner's forum for nearly five years and I've never seen anything about engine problems posted. Obviously, anything that moves will wear out at some point but I don't think the Volvo engines are any less reliable than any other brand.

As for the V berth, any boat is a compromise. My Camano is documented as a 28' boat. Later, it was changed to 31' but the design did not change. Putting a queen sized bead in that boat would require taking some room from the saloon. Where would you rather have the room?

Anyone 6'2" or less should be comfortable in the V berth. Or, you may just need a larger boat to begin with.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
When we were looking for our new boat, we had it narrowed down to the Camano, a Nordic Tug 32, and a GB32. All great boats, so the decision came down to a couple of personal preferences....like any major purpose. We choose the GB32 because of its walk around decks and the fact that it had a fly bridge. We really liked the extra speed of the Camano but at our age the idea of narrow side decks made the better half cast a veto.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Guru

I'm GaGa over both boats but I do NOT like the flybridge and the NT is more efficient as it has less beam ...... ect.

I'm extremely fond of the layout on the Nordy. The GB is quite similar to my Willard. I consider the walk-around decks to be a waste of very valuable real estate. I wish I had the Voyager model Willard as it's wide body aft of the wheelhouse w a little smaller cockpit. Speaking if cockpits the GB is much better that the Nordy in this respect.

When I was boat shopping about 2 years ago I was looking at all three. I'm really nuts about the Camano's light and airy house along w the classy wheelhouse windows. All the Troll's I saw on YW looked super clean and sanitary. Gave off the aura of a new car. And when the water is fairly calm the high speed ride must be wonderful but I prefer a heavier boat and I like FD .... and that's what I have. Looking at other boats has got to be near the top of great things to do so I'll keep look'in but I doubt if I'll change.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
I consider the walk-around decks to be a waste of very valuable real estate.
Walk-around decks are essential to the Coot's amenities. It helps to have a wide beam to increase cabin volume.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
The GB is quite similar to my Willard. (No way!)I consider the walk-around decks to be a waste of very valuable real estate. (A huge selling point for the GB 32.)Looking at other boats has got to be near the top of great things to do so I'll keep look'in* but I doubt if I'll change.
* I'll lay odds on it!

Eric: Why don't you come right out and say it? You like small round bottom boats with the smallest diesel that money can buy! There's nothing wrong with that. I, also, like the smallest boat (diesel powered) that I can get all the bells and whistles with but I'm not going to try and paint (compare) it as being comparable to other larger, more expensive vessels.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Walk-around decks are essential to the Coot's amenities.
Agreed! (Stout rails are included.)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
Guru

HaHa Walt,

So you think I'm painting my Willy? Going to be doing just that soon.

But I think you meant that I'm comparing Willy to boats out of her class that shouldn't be comparable. I was comparing the walk around decks and If I had Marks Coot I'd say it was near perfect but it's a bigger wider boat so your'e right. And the narrower Nordic Tug I wouldn't want walk around decks on either. I like the Coot just the way she is and I also think the Coot is the most desirable trawler on this forum. The Coot suffers slightly in aesthetics due to her steel construction but if everybody on this forum offered me their boat w the stipulation that I'd have to maintain her and keep her I'd probably take the Coot. The color and the visibility fwd I'd be likely to change and I'd wait till it needed painting for that. Oh and the flying pig may go as well.

I'd rather have hard chine boats that are FD like the Coot. And no I'd not go w 10hp for Willy. 32 would be fine though.

Still my ideal boat would be the 32 Nordic w the stern modified to FD and a 54hp Isuzu engine.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:

So you think I'm painting my Willy? (What? )

I like the Coot just the way she is (So do I)

And no I'd not go w 10hp for Willy. 32 would be fine though. (See! I told you!
You have a great little trawler that fits your experience and technical knowledge to a tee but we all don't have the same wants. If we all liked the same kind of women, where would we be? There would be no need for affairs, lust or any of the other sins for man to engage in!