Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Cabin heaters

What are folks using for cabin heaters in colder climates? I dont have a generator ( and I don't want one) . My reverse cycle system heats well but that only works for me on shore power.

Are the Dickinson and Wallas systems good? Id like a easy and low maintenance setup. I AM NOT A LIVEABOARD either. I'm only looking to extend my season into November and resume in April.

South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #2

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Redoubt
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
I have an Espar Hydronic system and a Dickinson Antarctic. I like them both.

Espar has fan heaters throughout the boat so distributes heat well. The programmable timer means I can warm things up an hour before we are out of bed. Hydronic is a bit more work (and expense) to install though most users (me included) think it is worth it. It uses battery power to run the heater and the fans, plus we have an additional pump for hot water circulation as the boat is large.

The Dickinson is wonderful for the lounge. With the viewing window it provides a cozy atmosphere like a fireplace. It uses no electricity. As it is radient heat it does not reach the far sections of the boat as well as the Espar. It does take ~3/4 hour to get running and heated up, but then it will run quite happily for days on end. I understand this is what they are designed for. Some people have had challenges with soot from the chimney. We have not.

With both running we have been out in -9 degree celcius weather and have had to open windows to cool things down!

nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
If all you are looking to do is extend your season a bit, I would focus on these in order of cost:
1. Propane heaters
2. Dickenson type bulkhead heater
3. Permanently installed forced air like the Espar

The hydronic systems will be much more expensive.

A Mr Heater or similar radiant heater plumbed to your boat's propane system will add ten degrees or so to your cabin and feel even warmer if the radiant element is pointed your way.

A Dickenson diesel or propane heater will heat the whole cabin.

An Espar forced air heater can be ducted to all cabins to heat the entire boat.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have a Hurricane II hydronic system on my current boat. It is wonderful. It gives very even heat and has thermostats in every section of the boat so it can be adjusted as needed.

I have a Wallace forced air system in my 40' sailboat. It also works wonderfully well. The heat isn't as even but it heats up very fast. We have it ducted to saloon, both cabins, and both heads. The ducts can be closed off for those areas that we aren't using but it only has one thermostat in the saloon.

I would agree with the other, that the hydronic systems are really, really nice but would be much more expensive to install. In your situation, I would install a forced air diesel furnace. The Dickenson's are great, but you have to devote some saloon space for them and you are looking for simply an adjunct heat. With a diesel forced air furnace, I would bet that you would find you would use the reverse cycle only for AC.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Caimanera
Vessel Name: Seafarer
Vessel Model: 1926 56’ Winslow RDMY
We have a Dickinson Propane fireplace on Ebbtide. Silent and pumps heat out like crazy. It is plumed in with our stove supply.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have 3 bus style heaters that heat the boat nicely circulating the engine coolant while underway. Have an electric blanket that draw very modest amps running off the inverter. I winter in South Florida which negates the need for any more.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Hurricane with radiators, hate those noisy bus heaters.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
....and along comes D.B. Cooper.....

If you have a boat with only an upper helm, is there a way to heat the bridge enclosure with engine heat ? The only time you'd need it warm was while the engine(s) were running...and the engines are producing all that heat.....and you might not get it toasty warm....but if you could get the enclosure to ...say 50 degrees when it was 30 degrees out...that would make an upper helm only boat a lot more useable....thoughts ??
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
I have Wallis diesel cooktop and oven; delighted with them. The cooktop has a cabin heat function which works very well. Although the fan is a little noisy, if you want a quick warm up, it is pretty good. Right beside the Wallis, I have a Sigmar 180 diesel fireplace, which does a good job over a longer term.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We have three diesel forced air furnaces. One for the salon, one for the lower cabins, and one for the pilothouse.

They are all Wallace units with a total capacity of 27K btu

They are quiet, pretty fuel efficient, and keep the boat comfortable in any weather.
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #11
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hey, definitely get a heater that brings fresh air to your cabin, while drying the boat and removing carbon dioxide, fresh air is the key to comfort when you are in the boat.

Experience yourself with Wallas, eberspäher and webasto heaters. I should flag Wallas because made in my home country, but I think honestly can not say who is the best device.

As a hint put the exhaust pipe on the other side of the air intake to the cabin and the second advice do not buy too large a model, it works better when not running at the lowest power and the time the device starts to start badly, fuel quality also decides on cleanliness and power kw / weight.

Currently the heater is espar D5 air 18 800 btu my NT37 and it has worked for 8 years well, here is a pretty cool climate and I use it often, heat is enough even though it would have been -6 ° C and water 1.6 ° C .

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post

If you have a boat with only an upper helm, is there a way to heat the bridge enclosure with engine heat ? The only time you'd need it warm was while the engine(s) were running...and the engines are producing all that heat.....and you might not get it toasty warm....but if you could get the enclosure to ...say 50 degrees when it was 30 degrees out...that would make an upper helm only boat a lot more useable....thoughts ??
Yes it could be done.

I would use a good heat exchanger and small 12V solar system pumpto the buss heater or radiator so engine coolant isnt travelling so far (I have that set up with my bus heater).
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes it could be done.

I would use a good heat exchanger and small 12V solar system pumpto the buss heater or radiator so engine coolant isnt travelling so far (I have that set up with my bus heater).
Isotherm heather big value of money, examples https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isote...-fan--17157256
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
What are folks using for cabin heaters in colder climates? I dont have a generator ( and I don't want one) . My reverse cycle system heats well but that only works for me on shore power.

Some previous live-aboard dock neighbors added a resistance heat unit to their existing reverse cycle system. They said once exterior water temps got too cold, they just shut the sea cocks and used the resistance heat source. All through the same ducting system.

Would still only work for you when on shorepower, I guess... Dunno if an inverter would power it, but I suspect not.

-Chris
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
Guru

Thanks guys. Ive got lots more research to do before I make my decision. September in New England is great cruising weather but October can be chilly for sure. I'm hoping to have the purchase and install done in a few weeks......fingers crossed

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes it could be done.

Yes, that would work very nicely. Have a 12 volt pump to boost the flow rate (increase heater btu output) on my 100' heater loop. For a setup in the pilothouse, a transmission cooler would work well with the engine coolant flowing through the tubes. Locate the pump and reservoir in the pilothouse so that the pump isn't working against a head pressure for initial priming. Once the loop is completely filled, there is almost no head resistance and it will work with a very modest pump.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I have a Dickinson diesel STOVE in my 32' boat My wife and I think it's great. However, it only heats the salon. It came with the boat and I almost tossed it, untill I realized the cost and complications of replacement. It was unreliable untill I talked to Dickinson and now it's great, So I fixed it and for 30 yrs it has been great. We used to winter boat in freezing weather. It's not for everyone though as some compromises are needed.
We too have no generator so the battery capacity was a factor.

We have several friends that have smaller, bulk head mounted Dickinsons that use either Diesel or Propane and those units do a fine job of heating the salon in an up to about a 32' or so boat. They do use a small fan but the draw is quite small.

With most of the larger furnace type heaters battery capacity will need to be considered as the draw can be quite substantial for blowers, pumps , etc.

You show a Camano 30 so the bulkhead heaters, Dickinson or similar, maybe the Wallas, should be suitable. You just need to find a suitable mounting place. Most of these found a mounting near the cabin door.

Have you checked the Camano site to ask what others use and why.

We all recommend what we have but space, mounting, cost, battery capacity, boat size, weather, etc. need to be factored in. What's suitable for a large boat may not for you with an ~ 30' boat.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:49 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
I have a Dickinson diesel STOVE in my 32' boat My wife and I think it's great. However, it only heats the salon. It came with the boat and I almost tossed it, untill I realized the cost and complications of replacement. It was unreliable untill I talked to Dickinson and now it's great, So I fixed it and for 30 yrs it has been great. We used to winter boat in freezing weather. It's not for everyone though as some compromises are needed.
We too have no generator so the battery capacity was a factor.

We have several friends that have smaller, bulk head mounted Dickinsons that use either Diesel or Propane and those units do a fine job of heating the salon in an up to about a 32' or so boat. They do use a small fan but the draw is quite small.

With most of the larger furnace type heaters battery capacity will need to be considered as the draw can be quite substantial for blowers, pumps , etc.

You show a Camano 30 so the bulkhead heaters, Dickinson or similar, maybe the Wallas, should be suitable. You just need to find a suitable mounting place. Most of these found a mounting near the cabin door.

Have you checked the Camano site to ask what others use and why.

We all recommend what we have but space, mounting, cost, battery capacity, boat size, weather, etc. need to be factored in. What's suitable for a large boat may not for you with an ~ 30' boat.
This IS the Camano sub forum! Unless you're talking about ECCO or CamanoPacific? Thanks for your reply regardless.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 PM   #19
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I should have been more specific. NOt T.F. but the other Camano forums which I'm guessing you have done.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have a Dickinson Newport propane fireplace (P12000) on my sailboat. It works quite nicely. It has a double flue and a sealed combustion chamber so it draws in outside air via the outer part of the flue and exhausts up the inner part of the flue. Very safe. The only part of the unit that is too hot to touch is the glass in the door.

On the powerboat I have a Webasto forced air diesel heater. It draws more power than the propane fireplace, but also gives faster heating. It is noisier though.

If you just want to heat the main cabin on your boat the Dickinson propane fireplace is a good choice (assuming you have propane on the boat). It comes with everything you need except the propane hose.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote