Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Question Access to Forward Shower Sump

I have Hull Number 7 and I have not been able to identify how to access my forward shower sump for cleaning pump screen. Help!
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have a sawsall you can borrow.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Odd, I have a similar problem. Everything is working but my worry is that the though hull valve that is next to the shower sump can not be reached by someone my size. What happens if it blow a hose and I can't reach it? I need to keep a 9 year old aboard who can fit over the top of my holding tank. I think I need to fashion a stick and loop that would work.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpseadog View Post
I have Hull Number 7 and I have not been able to identify how to access my forward shower sump for cleaning pump screen. Help!
I'd expect it to be either under a hatch in the companionway sole, or accessed via a removable vent grille mounted at the bottom of the wall outside the head.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
Odd, I have a similar problem. Everything is working but my worry is that the though hull valve that is next to the shower sump can not be reached by someone my size. What happens if it blow a hose and I can't reach it? I need to keep a 9 year old aboard who can fit over the top of my holding tank. I think I need to fashion a stick and loop that would work.
Thats why you should always have kids on board.

Or you could get a valve handle extension made up to make it accessible.
Another option is installing a solenoid activated valve.

Either of these options would likely involve temporarily removing the holding tank for the installation, so it might be more than an afternoon's work.

I wouldn't ignore the problem because the valve wouldn't currently be exercised often (or at all), so when you do need to close it in a hurry a 9 year old may not be able to move it. I'd expect it will take a big effort.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Guru

Shower Sump

Quote:
Not sure about your boat but the new boats its located in front of the engine. Very easy to reach.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 AM   #7

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
Hull number 2 there is a floor board just at the base of the stairs, in front of the head door, that lifts out. Has to wiggle a bit: in there is the black water tank and shower sump.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #8

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Hull number 2 there is a floor board just at the base of the stairs, in front of the head door, that lifts out. Has to wiggle a bit: in there is the black water tank and shower sump.
Hah! During search for a minor plumbing leak, my service tech removed an engine room floorboard (The one just to port of start battery box), and there it was. A clear plastic box containing a small bilge pump and switch. Easy to access if I ever need to service. I hadn't removed that floorboard because it appeared to be attached to bottom corner of battery box. The bracket was screwed to the floorboard, but not to the battery box. The minor plumbing leak was found in aft head on the barbed fitting supplying fresh were to the head. Hose clamp was a bit too large and was slightly oval shaped. As hose aged, it developed a slight leak that went to bilge. Probably one gallon per day. On a week long cruise that was costing us 2+ "Navy" showers.
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Hah! During search for a minor plumbing leak, my service tech removed an engine room floorboard (The one just to port of start battery box), and there it was. A clear plastic box containing a small bilge pump and switch. Easy to access if I ever need to service. I hadn't removed that floorboard because it appeared to be attached to bottom corner of battery box. The bracket was screwed to the floorboard, but not to the battery box. The minor plumbing leak was found in aft head on the barbed fitting supplying fresh were to the head. Hose clamp was a bit too large and was slightly oval shaped. As hose aged, it developed a slight leak that went to bilge. Probably one gallon per day. On a week long cruise that was costing us 2+ "Navy" showers.

Glad you found the leak AND the shower sump. It seems as if I am still finding out about my boat after 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
Guru

shower sump pump

It must be the season, ours just went out. I had the entire unit replaced today. The cost to have the work performed by a professional with discounted purchased parts was just slightly more than retail price for the unit itself ($169.00). Access was super great and only took less than an hour. Great design.
John T
Old 08-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
It must be the season, ours just went out. I had the entire unit replaced today. The cost to have the work performed by a professional with discounted purchased parts was just slightly more than retail price for the unit itself ($169.00). Access was super great and only took less than an hour. Great design.

John T

John, what type of sump did you have installed? I have the typical Jabsco sump and one of these years I want to upgrade it. I admit however that I could clean out the sump for a lot of years and still not have it take as much time as swapping it out...

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Guru

shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
John, what type of sump did you have installed? I have the typical Jabsco sump and one of these years I want to upgrade it. I admit however that I could clean out the sump for a lot of years and still not have it take as much time as swapping it out...
The boat was delivered with a Rule system (pump and float) so we replaced it with same kit including new plastic box and screen. Retail price was $169. The mechanic picked it up for $110 and charged 1.5 hours of labor. Total cost around $240 and worth it to me this time around. As part of my preventative maintenance program I clean out the screen and sump box every other month depending on how often we sleep aboard the boat. Hope tho one lasts a little longer.

John
Old 08-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
Guru

When we bought our Nova sundeck 18 years ago, I found that the shower sump pump was located under the house batteries! I got my tech (me) to remove the sump pump and re-plumb the shower to dump into the forward engine room sump where the water is pumped over the side by the bilge pump.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote