Old 05-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
2018 Camano mods

Guys, after a quite miserable winter here in Boston spring is now finally upon us in New England! My boat is in the water and all is good again.

Since early March myself and my "boat guy" (that's a technical term, lol!) have been working on some new mods. Some functional and some for comfort.
Here's a list off the top of my head and some pics.

1. 1 new helm chair(and adding a new co pilot's seat/mount).
2. Shortening of dinette table. I still need to add a trim piece to the cut end....
3. Dickinson propane stove.
4. EPIRB
5. 2 camera and monitor for rear view of stern and flybridge.
6. New flybridge upholstery on all seats.
7. New fiberglass molded seat dock bock w/ custom upholstery (seat from 2017, but canvas is 2018)
8. SCAD tank monitor for 2 water tanks and black tank .(2017)
9. Magma SS grille
10. New Jabsco Y valve
11. New overboard thru hull.
12. 2 new Garmin Echomap CV 7 inch nav/fishfinders. One for the lower helm and one for the upper. THESE ARE AN AWESOME DEAL!! $450 each , including transducer. Very nice unit for the money....

I'm also in the process of having a 4 sided Eisenglass enclosure made for my existing bimini. Should be done in 2 weeks. VERY EXCITED!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_224808.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	76003

Name:	20180505_224225.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	76004

Name:	20180505_224602.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	76005

Name:	20180505_224057.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	76006

Name:	20180505_225615.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	76007

Name:	20180505_224852.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	76008

Name:	20180506_092843.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	76009

Name:	20180506_092951.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	76010

Name:	20180506_093508.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	76011

Name:	20180506_093518.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	76012

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Guru

Name:	20180506_095435.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	76013

Name:	20180506_095443.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	76014

Name:	20180506_095504.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	76015

Name:	20180506_095646.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	76016

Name:	20180415_180634.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	76017

Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Congratulations! Your mods look very nice, particularly the two helm seats.

You obviously had to cut the dinette table to make room for the passenger seat. Why not remove the dinette table completely and use a folding teak table like one of these when dining. The rest of the time at anchor the dinette table just gets in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+folding+table

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Congratulations! Your mods look very nice, particularly the two helm seats.

You obviously had to cut the dinette table to make room for the passenger seat. Why not remove the dinette table completely and use a folding teak table like one of these when dining. The rest of the time at anchor the dinette table just gets in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+folding+table

David
Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, I had thought of that and may still change up the configuration at some point. But for now I wanna keep it the way it is because I can drop down the table (and the other piece) to make an extra berth when needed.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Las Vegas, NV
Wow some awesome stuff you have going on there! I'd be interested in a bunch more pictures if you have them. Such as the previous thru hull that you replaced as well as the tank monitor installation. I am several months from buying my Camano and can live vicarious through you!

Also, I may just PM you but maybe this is a good thread to discuss it. How do you find your Camano? Loving it? Did you consider any other boats? Just trying to get a little talk going. lol

Also. I mentioned it in another thread but your video on YouTube of your boat is quite good. Any more you take I would love to see! Underway, projects, etc.

Have fun!
TollyLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollyLucia View Post
Wow some awesome stuff you have going on there! I'd be interested in a bunch more pictures if you have them. Such as the previous thru hull that you replaced as well as the tank monitor installation. I am several months from buying my Camano and can live vicarious through you!

Also, I may just PM you but maybe this is a good thread to discuss it. How do you find your Camano? Loving it? Did you consider any other boats? Just trying to get a little talk going. lol

Also. I mentioned it in another thread but your video on YouTube of your boat is quite good. Any more you take I would love to see! Underway, projects, etc.

Have fun!
Thanks! Yeah, I'll take some more pics and do a new video once my new flybridge Eisenglass enclosure is done (2 weeks or so). I do have a few other videos from last year (kinda boring though!) Here they are if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbb...4gvIkNyMadrPlA

As to the old pics of the overboard thru hull and Y-valve: No, I didn't take any "before pics". I didn't even think of it.

To the tank monitoring system: I didn't do that job. I enlisted the services of my "boat guy". Lol. He did a great job. It's nice having the water tank gauges and especially the black water gauge (only 15 gallons).

Yes, I do love the boat!! It's the perfect size for me right now. There is a good rule of thumb however when thinking about the size. It's perfect for this many guests: Cocktails for six, dinner for 4 and cruising/liveaboard for 2. The Camano is not good for having 10 guests on board while swimming, fishing, diving, partying! Lol. Wasn't designed for that IMO unless you're tied up at the dock in your marina.

I love the ride and handling BUT I always keep in mind that she's still only a 30 foot boat with a 10.5' beam. Weather windows and forecasts must be heeded. I had an interesting incident last year in a BIG following sea and a few of us were on the bridge! Never again....In big seas you do not want to be on the bridge, the COG is just not in your favor (but I'm talking about big stuff, like REAL sustained 4-5 footers following you in the stern. A head sea is a piece of cake in a Camano). In choppy seas and anything less than 3' then I don't even bat an eye. The hull is awesome! Now having said all that I'm also quite sure that the old adage of "the boat can take more than the captain can" is true.

Yes, I looked at other boats and styles. I really like the Downeast style of boats and some fishing boats that can be used as cruisers (the funny thing is that I hardly ever fish!). I also like some of the tug designs.

Some of the boats I looked at were the Eastern 35, Mainship 30, Albin 30 family cruiser, SeaSport Pacific 32, Nordic Tug 26/32 among others. I still love the Seasport 32.....VERY cool boat. Beamy catamaran hull but not too big. Great cruising platform and good seakeeper. My only gripe was the I/O drives....

But once I came across the Camano's I was hooked. Love having the upper and lower helm, small single powerplant, insanely low fuel burn and the unique looks! I'll be living aboard full time this fall...That'll be an experience. Haha

Feel free to PM me or keep posting here. You may also wanna join ECCO and Camano Pacific owners group. Good info on both sites BUT Trawler Forum is still more active.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Nice work. Hope to see it at the ECCO rendezvous if you can make it down. Think BIG came out of the water last week and goes back in next week. Replaced all 14 plastic thru-hulls as they were chalking. Paint today or tomorrow.

My engine hatch brace broke after getting locked while closed and has been replaced. A 120lb assist spring is on order. That Bamboo flooring is heavy! Added a backup seal to the shaft since the spare was slid on before the purchase. Need to repack the valves for the coolant hot water loop. Strbrd water tank leaking a drop every three minutes so not rushing but will fix soon.

Finished the shortening of my table. Just 4 inches but makes side bench much more usable. Rounded the front corners which you may want to consider for that 'finished' look and no jabbing bodies. Getting new small flybridge instrument cover to replace huge one that also covered seats took up mega-storage. Removed old brackets from stern and swim platform. My friend is doing most the work.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Guru

Nice list Milton. Good job on changing all the thru hulls! Yeah, lots of my thru hulls are getting chalky too but since they are above the waterline I'm not rushing to fix them. I inspected all of them (below and above water) and don't feel the need to fix them this year. Maybe next winter? It's an ongoing process I guess....

My engine room door shock (strut?) was broken last year. We found that during the inspection and the previous owner fixed it. I think he actually changed both of them? Can't remember.

About the table: Yes, I'll definitely round the edges and add a trim piece too. It's so nice freeing up the settee. Way more space!

Old 05-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Your starboard helm chair appears to be in the stock position in one pic and then further back in another though not clear if it is permanently mounted in the back position. Experimenting?

The East Coast Camano Owners (ECCO) Rendevoux is at Solomon Island, MD 11-13 June by the way.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonP View Post
Your starboard helm chair appears to be in the stock position in one pic and then further back in another though not clear if it is permanently mounted in the back position. Experimenting?

The East Coast Camano Owners (ECCO) Rendevoux is at Solomon Island, MD 11-13 June by the way.
When underway I keep it mounted as a co captains chair. Then when I'm at the marina I take off the seat and use my old table pedestal mount to put the seat next to my heater. It just rests there. It's not mounted (then I put the pedestal away when not in use). Works quite well! Very comfy.

PS: I bought a new Todd fixed mount pedestal for the co captain's seat. I didn't think the old adjustable table pedestal would be strong enough.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'll take some more pics and do a new video once my new flybridge Eisenglass enclosure is done (2 weeks or so). I do have a few other videos from last year (kinda boring though!) Here they are if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbb...4gvIkNyMadrPlA

As to the old pics of the overboard thru hull and Y-valve: No, I didn't take any "before pics". I didn't even think of it.

To the tank monitoring system: I didn't do that job. I enlisted the services of my "boat guy". Lol. He did a great job. It's nice having the water tank gauges and especially the black water gauge (only 15 gallons).

Yes, I do love the boat!! It's the perfect size for me right now. There is a good rule of thumb however when thinking about the size. It's perfect for this many guests: Cocktails for six, dinner for 4 and cruising/liveaboard for 2. The Camano is not good for having 10 guests on board while swimming, fishing, diving, partying! Lol. Wasn't designed for that IMO unless you're tied up at the dock in your marina.

I love the ride and handling BUT I always keep in mind that she's still only a 30 foot boat with a 10.5' beam. Weather windows and forecasts must be heeded. I had an interesting incident last year in a BIG following sea and a few of us were on the bridge! Never again....In big seas you do not want to be on the bridge, the COG is just not in your favor (but I'm talking about big stuff, like REAL sustained 4-5 footers following you in the stern. A head sea is a piece of cake in a Camano). In choppy seas and anything less than 3' then I don't even bat an eye. The hull is awesome! Now having said all that I'm also quite sure that the old adage of "the boat can take more than the captain can" is true.

Yes, I looked at other boats and styles. I really like the Downeast style of boats and some fishing boats that can be used as cruisers (the funny thing is that I hardly ever fish!). I also like some of the tug designs.

Some of the boats I looked at were the Eastern 35, Mainship 30, Albin 30 family cruiser, SeaSport Pacific 32, Nordic Tug 26/32 among others. I still love the Seasport 32.....VERY cool boat. Beamy catamaran hull but not too big. Great cruising platform and good seakeeper. My only gripe was the I/O drives....

But once I came across the Camano's I was hooked. Love having the upper and lower helm, small single powerplant, insanely low fuel burn and the unique looks! I'll be living aboard full time this fall...That'll be an experience. Haha

Feel free to PM me or keep posting here. You may also wanna join ECCO and Camano Pacific owners group. Good info on both sites BUT Trawler Forum is still more active.
Thanks for the response! It looks like your boat is coming along very very nicely! I am envious but happy to be just a few months behind you.

It looks like we have very similar taste in boats and I debated saying this.. but I THINK I saw a Seasport 32 with direct drives, but I may be wrong! I love that boat too but would not buy one with outdrives. I have a question about the Seasport vs Camano though.. I've never been on a Seasport, have you? From pictures I think I like the Camano's interior more... whats your opinion?

I also like downeast boats and tugs. Ie, Ranger/Cutwater, but can't justify the cost vs size of them. And hopefully I don't offend anyone, but I am not overly impressed with their overall build quality, not that it's bad, but I feel a little overpriced.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonP View Post
Nice work. Hope to see it at the ECCO rendezvous if you can make it down. Think BIG came out of the water last week and goes back in next week. Replaced all 14 plastic thru-hulls as they were chalking. Paint today or tomorrow.

My engine hatch brace broke after getting locked while closed and has been replaced. A 120lb assist spring is on order. That Bamboo flooring is heavy! Added a backup seal to the shaft since the spare was slid on before the purchase. Need to repack the valves for the coolant hot water loop. Strbrd water tank leaking a drop every three minutes so not rushing but will fix soon.

Finished the shortening of my table. Just 4 inches but makes side bench much more usable. Rounded the front corners which you may want to consider for that 'finished' look and no jabbing bodies. Getting new small flybridge instrument cover to replace huge one that also covered seats took up mega-storage. Removed old brackets from stern and swim platform. My friend is doing most the work.
Looks good! May I ask why one of the plastic thru hulls wasn't changed in that picture? Maybe it was the last one to be done? More I can learn about the Camano the happier I am.

And I'm sure some of us would love to see pictures of the shortened table!

John
Old 05-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
Guru

John,

My shortened table pic is above.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #14
Guru

Got the new cockpit floor in! Also moved the TV/antenna to the starboard side. Way better location IMO.
Also got a new table, I like having the additional space for the settee. Initially I was worried about not having the additional drop down bunk for overnight guests but I decided that it would be fine. Worst case scenario I can lay a small memory foam mattress on the floor.

Finally we added some dual color LEDs in the cockpit. Pretty cool! And bright!

Name:	20180529_192720 (1).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	76790

Name:	20180529_192830 (1).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	76791

Name:	20180529_192857 (1).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	76792

Name:	20180529_202241.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	76793

Name:	20180529_203726.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	76794

Name:	20180529_205923.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	76795
Attached Thumbnails
20180529_204007.jpg  

Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Nice improvements!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Very nicely done. I think the cockpit flooring looks excellent. Can I ask how much that cost to complete?

I also noticed a TV mounted on the starboard ride behind the captains chair. Is that new as well?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
All looking great!!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TollyLucia View Post
Very nicely done. I think the cockpit flooring looks excellent. Can I ask how much that cost to complete?

I also noticed a TV mounted on the starboard ride behind the captains chair. Is that new as well?
About $300 or so. I did it myself using an online faux teak product.

The TV isn't new but we moved the location and the antenna to a new location.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Is that SeaDek? It looks great.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Is that SeaDek? It looks great.

Thanks. No way! Save your money for something more important. I used EVA. It's very easy to work with, looks amazing and wayyyyyy less expensive.

EVA faux teak