Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #141
Veteran Member

City: Woodland Hills, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I am not pleased.
Why not diesel outboards?
Because they are heavy, expensive and vibrate like paint shakers?

Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #142
Veteran Member

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Vessel Model: Hot Air Balloon for Now
The torque of the new 50hp diesel Yanmar Dtorque 111 looks like it may push this as good as the 60hp gas Suzuki. The two-counter-rotating crankshafts are very interesting design.

Here is a really good article on the Yanmar published couple weeks ago. https://newatlas.com/yanmar-dtorque-...utboard/51675/

Yanmar description.
YANMAR LAUNCHES THE DTORQUE 111 TURBO DIESEL OUTBOARD - Yanmar Marine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yanmar-dtorque-111-turbo-diesel-50hp-outboard-motor-8.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	69903  

IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #143
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: under construction
At the very bottom of the Yanmar announcement:

*The Dtorque 111 exceeds EU RDC Stage 2 emissions regulations, however is not EPA compliant.
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #144
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I read the article and I guess I can buy most of Yanmar's claims for this engine, except for being lighter than an equivalent gas outboard. Unless they mean equivalent being a 90 hp 2 cycle O/B to produce the same torque as the 50 hp Yanmar at 2,500 rpm. But gearing on a 50 hp gasser solves that easily and saves about 100 lbs.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #145
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Interesting design for sure but not anything new. If I remember some of the engine histories correctly, there was some testing of gas engines using the same dual crankshaft set up between WWI and WWII. I don't really see how it could be lighter unless they are comparing torque specs at certain RPMs. The diesel will have a lot more torque lower in the rev range that any gasser, 2 or 4 stroke. As mentioned by djmarchand, it wouldn't be fair to compare weights based strictly on max horsepower ratings. Comparing weights based on torque ratings may bring them inline a little better. I still feel the same as djmarchand, I think the new efficient two strokes would be a better engine as far as weight to HP ratio goes.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #146
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A very interesting aspect of this design is that the significant side load on the piston is basically gone .. nada.

However one can’t get away from the torsional vibration of a two cylinder engine. This vibration is prominent at low revs but quickly disappears as rpm increases.

Another source of vibration occurs from what the engineers call a “rocking couple”. That is a result of one piston (+ rods and crankpin) in the vicinity of BDC is pushing the crankshaft down while the other cylinder near TDC is feeling a strong upward force as that cylinder reaches TDC. One end of the crank up .. the other down .. and attempting to rock the crankshaft this way and that or back and forth. Counterweights can only danpen out some to most of this vibration input depending on other aspects of the design. So one can’t escape all of this source of vibration.

A friend of mine reports a small dual crank (sailboat) BMW engine that runs very smooth. More evidence of the fact that it’s not new. But I’m fine w old stuff and it’s anything but that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #147
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
A very interesting aspect of this design is that the significant side load on the piston is basically gone .. nada.

However one canít get away from the torsional vibration of a two cylinder engine. This vibration is prominent at low revs but quickly disappears as rpm increases.

Another source of vibration occurs from what the engineers call a ďrocking coupleĒ. That is a result of one piston (+ rods and crankpin) in the vicinity of BDC is pushing the crankshaft down while the other cylinder near TDC is feeling a strong upward force as that cylinder reaches TDC. One end of the crank up .. the other down .. and attempting to rock the crankshaft this way and that or back and forth. Counterweights can only danpen out some to most of this vibration input depending on other aspects of the design. So one canít escape all of this source of vibration.

A friend of mine reports a small dual crank (sailboat) BMW engine that runs very smooth. More evidence of the fact that itís not new. But Iím fine w old stuff and itís anything but that.
In the motorcycle world, the parallel twins are getting offset crankshafts instead of being true 180 degree crankshafts they are getting some offset to help with the one up one down vibration syndrome. I think my 2014 Honda CB500X uses this type of crankshaft. It is exceptionally smooth through out the rev range and I think Honda uses it in the outboards as well.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #148
Guru

Ben,
Yes Honda is an innovator to be sure. I liked their offset crank outboards.

Wonder how many degrees off 180 degrees they are .. like a little or a lot. On the old Brit bikes the rocking couple presented a heavy buzz like vibration at hwy speeds. But were smooth at lower rpm. The Honda 180 degree cranks of the 60's were (predictably) more like a single than a twin. On a boat I think I"d like the 180 crank. Spend about 95% of our time on boats at cruise rpm.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #149
Guru

Quote:
Ben,
Yes Honda is an innovator to be sure. I liked their offset crank outboards.

Wonder how many degrees off 180 degrees they are .. like a little or a lot. On the old Brit bikes the rocking couple presented a heavy buzz like vibration at hwy speeds. But were smooth at lower rpm. The Honda 180 degree cranks of the 60's were (predictably) more like a single than a twin. On a boat I think I"d like the 180 crank. Spend about 95% of our time on boats at cruise rpm.
I'm not sure how much off they are. I don't think it has to be much, 10 degrees or there abouts.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #150
Guru

OK Ben it soulds like they are close to a 180 crank. The only succesful 180 crank engines I know of are the old Brit bikes. They all had massive crankshafts (to ballance the counterweights to the pistons) so I’m going to guess this new engine will pay a weight penalty w a heavy crank. Looks like the pistons and rods are heavier too. And there’s two wrist pins on the piston and that adds to the weight but if it were a single wrist pin it may be about the same total weight ? So the chance of this engine being comparatively light is low or less.

But the high torque they get from only two cylinders is golden. I see it’s 50/50 bore/stroke. Makes for a compact engine too. I see the chain driven cam drive in-between the cylinders adds to the compactness. Many motorcycles are driven thusly.

Makes me wonder if a boxer engine w the two crank arrangement would have even more advantages. Food for thought.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #151
Guru

Quote:
OK Ben it soulds like they are close to a 180 crank. The only succesful 180 crank engines I know of are the old Brit bikes. They all had massive crankshafts (to ballance the counterweights to the pistons) so Iím going to guess this new engine will pay a weight penalty w a heavy crank. Looks like the pistons and rods are heavier too. And thereís two wrist pins on the piston and that adds to the weight but if it were a single wrist pin it may be about the same total weight ? So the chance of this engine being comparatively light is low or less.

But the high torque they get from only two cylinders is golden. I see itís 50/50 bore/stroke. Makes for a compact engine too. I see the chain driven cam drive in-between the cylinders adds to the compactness. Many motorcycles are driven thusly.

Makes me wonder if a boxer engine w the two crank arrangement would have even more advantages. Food for thought.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #152
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Did the owner of Spirit Song (hull #2) take delivery?

Sorry, can't seem to find their blog anymore and no mention of it on the GH web site.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #153

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
If people are concerned about the vibration of a 2 cylinder diesel, I'd bet they really get excited with a 1 cylinder diesel or one cylinder gasoline engine.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #154

When timing a 2 cylinder steam engine, one adjust the slide valve of the 2nd cylinder opens as the other valve closes. Unless perfect, sometimes one must give a bit of help with the flywheel.
Same way with the old farm tractor engines, spin the fly wheel to start the engine. Sometimes it had a duel fuel system, start the engine on gasoline and when running, switch to diesel.
Gosh, am I showing my age again?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
If people are concerned about the vibration of a 2 cylinder diesel, I'd bet they really get excited with a 1 cylinder diesel or one cylinder gasoline engine.

Those engines don't vibrate. They dance all over the bed, the engine bed.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #156
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

Sorry, can't seem to find their blog anymore and no mention of it on the GH web site.
Last blog post in March. No updates on the TT35 that I can find on their site. Facebook doesn't indicate any deliveries taking place.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post

Those engines don't vibrate. They dance all over the bed, the engine bed.
Yup, a little 'hit and miss'.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #158
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky Lake
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

As of the last post on October 31st, Spirit Song had not been delivered. Here is a link to the new blog:

https://oldmanriverandcoco.blogspot.com/
Island Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #159
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Bound View Post
As of the last post on October 31st, Spirit Song had not been delivered. Here is a link to the new blog:

https://oldmanriverandcoco.blogspot.com/
Can't imagine what the holdup is except for perhaps reworking the swim platform and raising the cockpit.