Old 09-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

City: Corpus Christi
Slip width while cruising

Since my primary interest is doing the loop in a 37, I'm wondering how common is it to find a 40' slip which will accommodate the 16' beam?

Thanks,
Dan

PirateDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
When you call in for a slip they will ask you your beam. If not you better tell them if you’re 16 Ft. My beam is 13 which is never a problem.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Chesapeake Bay
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Thanks HW... But it certainly doesn't answer the question. Appreciate it though.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Lots of 50 foot slips on the Great Lakes that would handle your beam. Most marinas would put you in one if available. You pay for the overall length of your boat.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Most slips aren't specifically for a 40' boat. Did the Loop in 2017. My boat is a waterline 45' +/- and 50' overall. I never had a problem getting a slip and my beam is 15'. Don't remember a single slip that I had, that you couldn't have put a 16' boat in. There is also a lot of side tying on the Loop. As mentioned, most marinas will ask length, beam and draft, and will find you an appropriate slip. They don't make money if they can't provide you dockage.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My experience is they are only interested in boat length. However, boat width is most critical for me since I've a fat boat as many marina's slips are designed for skinny sailboats.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I'm not a looper but have cruised extensively. I would not consider it a show stopper but would recommend making reservations ahead. Most marinas can accommodate your size but some have a limited # of transient slips that size. There were a couple times this season that I requested the end of a T dock and they indicated they were all occupied or reserved. I'm only 14 and they squeezed me in a tighter spot but did accommodate me... 16 would have been more challenging.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
When you request or research slips make sure your actual beam is included in the details. The t-head of a dock is your likely result. That or know what mooring fields are nearby and if you can get a 'vistors pass'. Some marinas will offer that as a way to gain use of their facilities (laundry, bath, trash, pool, etc).

What 37' has a 16' beam?
Old 09-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #9

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My experience is they are only interested in boat length. However, boat width is most critical for me since I've a fat boat as many marina's slips are designed for skinny sailboats.
I'm used to that problem at what is now home for the boat. Tons of sailboats in the area and just about every power boat is an express cruiser, so low windage and narrower beam. Which leaves me with a "fun" slip, as the center piling is just over 15 feet from my finger pier and I've got a 14 ft beam with lots of windage. It fits great once it's in the slip, but backing in can be an interesting exercise in trying for perfection.

As far as traveling, I've yet to find a place that couldn't find a way to make us fit. In some cases we've been given an end dock, or left on a courtesy dock at a yacht club if they didn't have a slip that we'd fit.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Maerin has a 15'-8" beam, 43 LWL with 47' pulpit to platform length & 5 ft. draft. We've not done the entire loop, but with over 40,000 miles, we've been to a lot of marinas in a lot of different areas on and off the "loop". Can't think of a single instance where we had trouble securing a slip due to our beam. There were several times that we were on the bottom at low tide (as in- the water line was several inches below its normal location) , but our beam was never an issue. As others posted, the marina functions to provide you with a slip space, they'll figure it out. You're over thinking it.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #11

City: Brunswick
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Our AT41 has a 16' beam, which is unusual so i too am curious what kind of boat would be 37' x 16'.
We've not done the loop but been to many places. it's not a problem but in our experience most marinas only ask about length so we always make a point to tell them our beam as well. often we'll end up in a larger, say 50' or 55' slip or an end tie. Also there are many anchorage options on the loop.
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
Our AT41 has a 16' beam, which is unusual so i too am curious what kind of boat would be 37' x 16'.
Our Great Harbor N37 has 16ft beam.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #13

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I Cruise the Great Lakes. Never had a marina ask my width. I usually request a transient slip for a 36' trawler, I guess they put 2 and 2 together and figure out I am a little "boxy". Then I usually add my preference about my slip. (Back in, port side tie up) I will sometimes request a slip near the BBQ area or near the bathrooms or in a quiet area, whatever.. Except on busy weekends I generally get what I request. I don't know if it helps or not but I generally add that I do not need assistance tying up.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We were 69'4" so nearly all our dockage was side tie at a transient dock. I would say even with a shorter boat, you'll often be side tie at a transient dock, but just make sure they know your length and beam and plan for it. If the slip appears inadequate, ask for another, don't try to force it to work. Ask them the width.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Don't remember a single slip that I had, that you couldn't have put a 16' boat in. There is also a lot of side tying on the Loop. As mentioned, most marinas will ask length, beam and draft, and will find you an appropriate slip.

Haven't done the lop, but from when we went south on the ICW a couple years ago I can only remember one slip we were in that might not have handled a 16' beam. And that was at a marina that also had other slips and side tie-ups available.

Also, more than half, maybe 3/4, of the transient slips we took en route were side tie-ups anyway.

-Chris
Old 09-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Guess it depends on where you go, what time of year and what marinas you want to stay at.

I personally think it will be hard to find many slips in the 40 foot length range that are much wider than 16 ft..... Unless you're lucky enough to get a t head or at the fuel dock for the night.

So if your beam is 16ft, there might be lots of 16 foot slips out there......it''s just a question of how tight you want to be in the slip.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #17

Thanks everyone. I guess I assumed that, since the original post was put in the GH builders forum, that everyone would realize I was referring to a GH 37. Sorry for not being more clear.

I understand there are an abundance of over 16 beam slips. Just wondering if I'm doomed to paying for 50-60 foot slips when I only need 40?

Was also possibly going to consider other boats if the 16 beam is a problem on the loop.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #18

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Most marinas charge based on boat length, not slip length. So usually extra cost wouldn't be an issue, although every once in a while you'll find a place that charges more if you need an over-size slip.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #19

City: Owings, Md
Many of us enter thread under "new posts" rather than through the "forum" page. On the mobile settings it is especially easy to overlook what subforum you are in.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Currently a Rosborough 246 was GH N-37
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Our Great Harbor N37 has 16ft beam.
3 plus loops and all rivers east but mo we had very few times we could couldn't get a slip. Draft was more of an issue but not for out 3'draft.

Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote