Mirage - Great Harbour needs a forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenryD

Vessel Name
Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Make
Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hello,
I am not sure what the criteria is for a brand forum but I would recommend a Mirage / Great Harbour as new forum.
Of course, I am very biased.
Cheers

A vessel we're considering as well.

N37 fan here...gotta love a boat designed to mosey on down the coast to South America, cruise up the Amazon a ways, then wander on home :thumb:

Last edited:
I have a Great Harbour taste and a Taiwanese Tub pocket book.

I'm new here. Just ramping up on my desire to cruise into retirement. Actually talked to my financial planner the other day asking about the feasibility of retiring a bit earlier. I have a long way to go learning and planning, not to mention getting to retirement, but the Great Harbour boats have really got my interest. I love the relatively shallow draft. Seems perfect for coastal cruising, the Great Loop, and maybe the Bahamas. I also am in love with the N-Series (N37 and N47) design. Probably not for everyone, but it is currently my aspiration. The only problem is the price. Gotta figure that one out. Even the used N37s seem to start at ~$350-400k.

I'm a bit off track here, what I really wanted to say is, "Heck yes, we need a Great Harbour forum!"

I'm for ya, Henry. Maybe the trouble would be getting the owners to all participate. I joined the Great Harbour Trawlers Assoc. a few years ago and the site never worked for me. Krogen Cruisers had a more personal style of site where photos and projects were easily share, but switched to Yahoo Groups a couple of years ago. So much for ease. I've thought that maybe a Facebook page on older Krogens may help, but I hate Facebook too.

The ability to share information on any build is going to save us all money. It may be mistakes, cost of materials, time, stress or even bodily harm, but it ends up money. If there were someone that could have warned me of the mistakes I was about to make in any of my projects, I'd have saved thousands. Idiosyncrasies, characteristics, habits, and defects in almost any design can be forewarned, even prevented. I'm a Great Harbour fan and if I can ever afford one, I'd like to know everything I can about them. Meanwhile, probably due to the build count more than anything else, the closest thing you've got is TF and "Other Makes".

Last edited:
Larry,
I agree. That is one of the reasons I posted, hoping to have a Forum Group setup. This would be an area that Great Harbour owners could post and could be a reference for other owners.
I am on the Great Harbour Trawler Association's site and am hoping to get more activity going. The more sites, the better - I keep learning.

I just met two - a 47 and a 37 - on their way towards Peterborough on the Trent Severn. Interesting looking boats.

I completed the Trent Severn waterway 'both ways' last year. Saw a couple of the N37's but not the larger vessels. They're well suited to that passage - low draft.

I knocked a prop off at Lock 1 Trenton on my Rosborough (3.5 ft draft). Many logs remain from Canada's logging industry. Old cribs as well. But I digress....
Mirage Great Harbors are a unique boat worthy of a sub- forum.

Jeff F - we made it to Peterborough today. Nice meeting you.
Fugly - Thank you. I am not sure what the criteria is for a sub-forum or the decision process.

Once upon a time one of my duties on the moderator team entailed setting up new sub-forums as needed. Members request was certainly a motivational factor to look into the feasibility. However ultimately it came down to how many threads currently exist elsewhere on the forum to "seed" the new sub-forum with. As important was the dates of those threads, are they ancient or recent.

It's always difficult to tell an enthusiast that every brand is not so unique as to not share commonality with others. Look at the Chris Craft sub-forum for a great example of a group of about 6 very vocal posters who requested it and against better judgement I set it up for them. I think they started one or two more threads and haven't seen any of them since.

What I'm saying isn't that it's not a good idea, but don't think the existence of a sub-forum will magically make more threads appear.

So then Mr. Moderator, why can't there be a sub-forum for Great Harbors. Does it hurt anything to do one? I love the boats and wish I could buy one this week! And I for one would read the forum all of the time. Everyday I read here on TF and on the Hatteras Forum. So I say if its no problem and not much work to add a sub-group, why not do one?? Just my opinion! Thanks!

Craig and Fishing Fool - Thank you.
We are doing the Loop this year with a Great Harbour 37 buddy boat (At Last). Today in Killarney, Ontario a N37 (Avocet) came into the dock. We were discussing over a pile of fish & chips how many tours of the boat and questions we have gotten from fellow boaters and curious folks at the locks of the Rideau and Trent Severn Waterway.

Mirage launched a new N37 in the spring and are building their new model TT35 (Transportable Trawler), so there will be more boats and boaters coming online.

Not fair! ?
Three Great Harbours in Killarney, all at the same time, and I can't be there to see them!
One of the problems living here in Northern Ontario, is that all the boats I am interested in are far away. I was convinced I had to fly to Florida or the west coast just to see a GH37. We don't get Trawlerfest up here, so it is very difficult to get to see most of the interesting vessels. (GH37 is on my short list)
Where are you guys heading from Killarney?
I would gladly drive some distance just to get a chance to drool on your decks!
And, I'll buy the fish and chips!
What are the chances I could be waiting for you at your next port of call?
(I am in Bruce Mines, just east of Sault Ste. Marie)
- would love to lay my eyes on a real Great Harbour!

Slow Gypsy,
I just sent you a PM.
How far are you from St. Ignace?
Cheers

Yes a Great Harbor folder is needed.

Henry D,
Why don't you post a "Great Harbour Update" on the Commercial section once a month or so? As long as it complies w advertising on the forum guidelines and such I think you could just do that and it would get the same exposure.

I'm personally against advertising on the discussion threads but I don't think the mods are.

Last edited:
We had the opportunity to tour Easy a couple weeks ago. We were very impressed with the roominess of the GH. Looking to tour an N so we have something to compare it to....sold my go fast boat and joined GHTA. Progress is being made!

I have spent considerable time on a N37. No flybridge. Great living accomidations, room for guest, low air draft, very shallow draft. Economical, volumes of stowage and on the 02 level (roof) there are acres of flat solar panel space. Easily 1500-2000 watts. The huge walk around upright and tap dance engine room will accommodate support batteries for 2000 watts, no problem, and a genny, and a watermaker and what ever else. Even a card table for a 4man poker game. Unbelievable.

The flat bottom indicates you should not go looking for heavy seas, not that the boat will not handle same, just that you may not. The flat bottom also makes me think that the GH models would be a handful in the wind, the N model was very sensitive to wind without the added height. For a cruising couple that has no desire to punish themselves in heavy seas, the N37 appears, to me, to be the perfect cruising boat...just do not get in a hurry.

Thanks! I'm in no hurry to buy and definately not in a hurry after I purchase a trawler. We like the different rooms on the GH but not sure about the helm area on the N. Just want to get a sense that will acomodate me kicking back watching TV and my wife having the ability to find her own space to read.

I need to also learn a little more about "being sensitive to wind". What does this mean - not going out in a norneaster blow or wind less than 15 kts? I want to (I think) spend time on a mooring ball or in a small cove, not always in a marina. I don't want to have to leave a populated cove because my GH is threatening other sailboats and trawlers.

Really like the idea about solar panels. The only requirement to visit the marina would be to pump the holding tank and get rid of garbage.

The GH had great natural lighting in all areas. is the same true on the N in the galley?

Where is the washer and dryer commonly located?

And if you want to sit on the stern deck is there enough space out of the sun to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or evening sunsets with a cool draft on the N.

Last edited:
GH trawlers

SlowGypsy

Same situation here in Atlanta, three weeks ago we drove to Fort Myers to see the GH37 "Easy". It was an 8!hour drive and we left after work on Friday, fought through Atlanta traffic - arrived around mid night. Toured the boat in the morning. Well worth the drive---thank you to the owner for spending 2 hours with us on the boat. Really like the GH, but want to look at the N.

It's always difficult to tell an enthusiast that every brand is not so unique as to not share commonality with others. Look at the Chris Craft sub-forum for a great example of a group of about 6 very vocal posters who requested it and against better judgement I set it up for them. ........
What I'm saying isn't that it's not a good idea, but don't think the existence of a sub-forum will magically make more threads appear.
i agree! I'm quite surprised at how little response we've had to my boat's forum, Ocean Alexander. Sure, I'm passionate about the brand but in all honesty I get more info from other sites on the Web than I do TF!

I know almost nothing about the Great Harbor line. (Make that "nothing at all.") It seems that a majority of the comments are about live aboard space & very little about performance in a sea way, shallow draft in a lumpy seas & other traits specifically related to "sea kindliness."

If it's the live aboard space that's the big draw, may i suggest several pontoon boats (for a lot less money) that will knock your socks off! :blush:

Like the 430 MK Classico 1 too! They don't stay on the market long and appear to be a nice boat. Moderately powered and great looks. I spent quite abit of time on a larger one and really enjoyed the ride.

Thanks! I'm in no hurry to buy and definately not in a hurry after I purchase a trawler. We like the different rooms on the GH but not sure about the helm area on the N. Just want to get a sense that will acomodate me kicking back watching TV and my wife having the ability to find her own space to read.

I need to also learn a little more about "being sensitive to wind". What does this mean - not going out in a norneaster blow or wind less than 15 kts? I want to (I think) spend time on a mooring ball or in a small cove, not always in a marina. I don't want to have to leave a populated cove because my GH is threatening other sailboats and trawlers.

Really like the idea about solar panels. The only requirement to visit the marina would be to pump the holding tank and get rid of garbage.

The GH had great natural lighting in all areas. is the same true on the N in the galley?

Where is the washer and dryer commonly located?

And if you want to sit on the stern deck is there enough space out of the sun to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or evening sunsets with a cool draft on the N.

Because of its height and flat bottom the GH is very sensitive to the wind when docking or in close quarters. I sea trialed a GN in about 15-20knot winds and it was hard for the captain to dock it, with twins and a bow thruster. Plus, it's hard to see the dock because the boat sits so high up, and the stern is hard to see as well. Im not saying someone can't learn how to handle it, but It was definitely a handful.

Last edited:
Great Harbour N-37

The flat bottom indicates you should not go looking for heavy seas, not that the boat will not handle same, just that you may not. The flat bottom also makes me think that the GH models would be a handful in the wind, the N model was very sensitive to wind without the added height. For a cruising couple that has no desire to punish themselves in heavy seas, the N37 appears, to me, to be the perfect cruising boat...just do not get in a hurry.

Just to clarify the above: I have been a live aboard on an N-37 flybridge going on the 9th year. Now finally own dirt in New Bern N.C. So now will live ashore during the winter. We have 39.000+ miles under the keel, 3+ great loops, most of the Western Rivers from top to bottom(Mo. River not done). We have crossed the Gulf Armpit 8 times all open water overnighters distances from 184 to 320 miles. Currently await a weather window to return south from our second New England cruise. The N-37 is a very heavy (40,000+ lbs), very low center of movement/gravity, stable "slow" displacement speed only trawler. While only 36'10" long at the water line we have a 16' beam. We behave more like a catamaran albeit without their snap roll. Unsinkable and self righting (albeit ugly swamped inside). We have been in rough seas several times and did fine however uncomfortable, often better than the keeled round bilged trawlers travelling with us, some even stabilized. I attribute this to our WEBB Institute, MIT graduate Naval Architect/PE Engineer Lou Codega's hull formed stability design. It works. We are very stiff and refuse rolling beyond 21 degrees and settle quickly. Certainly not pleasant but much better motion than some of the pendulous rolling I have experienced on keeled round bilged trawlers. Just step on one to see if it rolls. As far as a couple travelling with you, there is only one head and the second spare"state room is tiny.
We never have had a couple cruise with us in all our cruising. However nice, the N-37 is really couples boat. Day trips, sleepovers at the dock, ok. Beyond that, you would need very close, knowledge and flexible guests to cruise with you. GH-37, N-47's. GH-47's all can much better accommodate guests.[STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE]
Welcome to the GHTA.

Joe Pica
N-37 "Carolyn Ann"

Currently laying in Great Kills Yacht Club looking to leave down the Jersey Coast Monday. Heading south to New Bern NC for the winter and a grandmother grandchildren fix..

Thanks Joe! Appreciate you taking the time to reply and I've read as many of your posts as I can find. I took a look last week and it looked like you where getting out of Harmine's path. I work for DHS, this time of the year we are pretty busy with the storms. Don

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom