Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Henry D,
Why don't you post a "Great Harbour Update" on the Commercial section once a month or so? As long as it complies w advertising on the forum guidelines and such I think you could just do that and it would get the same exposure.

I'm personally against advertising on the discussion threads but I don't think the mods are.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Cartersville
Vessel Model: Velocity VR1
We had the opportunity to tour Easy a couple weeks ago. We were very impressed with the roominess of the GH. Looking to tour an N so we have something to compare it to....sold my go fast boat and joined GHTA. Progress is being made!

Velocityvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I have spent considerable time on a N37. No flybridge. Great living accomidations, room for guest, low air draft, very shallow draft. Economical, volumes of stowage and on the 02 level (roof) there are acres of flat solar panel space. Easily 1500-2000 watts. The huge walk around upright and tap dance engine room will accommodate support batteries for 2000 watts, no problem, and a genny, and a watermaker and what ever else. Even a card table for a 4man poker game. Unbelievable.

The flat bottom indicates you should not go looking for heavy seas, not that the boat will not handle same, just that you may not. The flat bottom also makes me think that the GH models would be a handful in the wind, the N model was very sensitive to wind without the added height. For a cruising couple that has no desire to punish themselves in heavy seas, the N37 appears, to me, to be the perfect cruising boat...just do not get in a hurry.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks! I'm in no hurry to buy and definately not in a hurry after I purchase a trawler. We like the different rooms on the GH but not sure about the helm area on the N. Just want to get a sense that will acomodate me kicking back watching TV and my wife having the ability to find her own space to read.

I need to also learn a little more about "being sensitive to wind". What does this mean - not going out in a norneaster blow or wind less than 15 kts? I want to (I think) spend time on a mooring ball or in a small cove, not always in a marina. I don't want to have to leave a populated cove because my GH is threatening other sailboats and trawlers.

Really like the idea about solar panels. The only requirement to visit the marina would be to pump the holding tank and get rid of garbage.

The GH had great natural lighting in all areas. is the same true on the N in the galley?

Where is the washer and dryer commonly located?

And if you want to sit on the stern deck is there enough space out of the sun to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or evening sunsets with a cool draft on the N.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

GH trawlers

SlowGypsy

Same situation here in Atlanta, three weeks ago we drove to Fort Myers to see the GH37 "Easy". It was an 8!hour drive and we left after work on Friday, fought through Atlanta traffic - arrived around mid night. Toured the boat in the morning. Well worth the drive---thank you to the owner for spending 2 hours with us on the boat. Really like the GH, but want to look at the N.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It's always difficult to tell an enthusiast that every brand is not so unique as to not share commonality with others. Look at the Chris Craft sub-forum for a great example of a group of about 6 very vocal posters who requested it and against better judgement I set it up for them. ........
What I'm saying isn't that it's not a good idea, but don't think the existence of a sub-forum will magically make more threads appear.
i agree! I'm quite surprised at how little response we've had to my boat's forum, Ocean Alexander. Sure, I'm passionate about the brand but in all honesty I get more info from other sites on the Web than I do TF!

I know almost nothing about the Great Harbor line. (Make that "nothing at all.") It seems that a majority of the comments are about live aboard space & very little about performance in a sea way, shallow draft in a lumpy seas & other traits specifically related to "sea kindliness."

If it's the live aboard space that's the big draw, may i suggest several pontoon boats (for a lot less money) that will knock your socks off!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Like the 430 MK Classico 1 too! They don't stay on the market long and appear to be a nice boat. Moderately powered and great looks. I spent quite abit of time on a larger one and really enjoyed the ride.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #28
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Mirage - Great Harbour needs a forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocityvr1 View Post
Thanks! I'm in no hurry to buy and definately not in a hurry after I purchase a trawler. We like the different rooms on the GH but not sure about the helm area on the N. Just want to get a sense that will acomodate me kicking back watching TV and my wife having the ability to find her own space to read.

I need to also learn a little more about "being sensitive to wind". What does this mean - not going out in a norneaster blow or wind less than 15 kts? I want to (I think) spend time on a mooring ball or in a small cove, not always in a marina. I don't want to have to leave a populated cove because my GH is threatening other sailboats and trawlers.

Really like the idea about solar panels. The only requirement to visit the marina would be to pump the holding tank and get rid of garbage.

The GH had great natural lighting in all areas. is the same true on the N in the galley?

Where is the washer and dryer commonly located?

And if you want to sit on the stern deck is there enough space out of the sun to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or evening sunsets with a cool draft on the N.

Because of its height and flat bottom the GH is very sensitive to the wind when docking or in close quarters. I sea trialed a GN in about 15-20knot winds and it was hard for the captain to dock it, with twins and a bow thruster. Plus, it's hard to see the dock because the boat sits so high up, and the stern is hard to see as well. Im not saying someone can't learn how to handle it, but It was definitely a handful.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: New. Bern
Vessel Name: Carolyn Ann
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N-37
Great Harbour N-37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The flat bottom indicates you should not go looking for heavy seas, not that the boat will not handle same, just that you may not. The flat bottom also makes me think that the GH models would be a handful in the wind, the N model was very sensitive to wind without the added height. For a cruising couple that has no desire to punish themselves in heavy seas, the N37 appears, to me, to be the perfect cruising boat...just do not get in a hurry.
Just to clarify the above: I have been a live aboard on an N-37 flybridge going on the 9th year. Now finally own dirt in New Bern N.C. So now will live ashore during the winter. We have 39.000+ miles under the keel, 3+ great loops, most of the Western Rivers from top to bottom(Mo. River not done). We have crossed the Gulf Armpit 8 times all open water overnighters distances from 184 to 320 miles. Currently await a weather window to return south from our second New England cruise. The N-37 is a very heavy (40,000+ lbs), very low center of movement/gravity, stable "slow" displacement speed only trawler. While only 36'10" long at the water line we have a 16' beam. We behave more like a catamaran albeit without their snap roll. Unsinkable and self righting (albeit ugly swamped inside). We have been in rough seas several times and did fine however uncomfortable, often better than the keeled round bilged trawlers travelling with us, some even stabilized. I attribute this to our WEBB Institute, MIT graduate Naval Architect/PE Engineer Lou Codega's hull formed stability design. It works. We are very stiff and refuse rolling beyond 21 degrees and settle quickly. Certainly not pleasant but much better motion than some of the pendulous rolling I have experienced on keeled round bilged trawlers. Just step on one to see if it rolls. As far as a couple travelling with you, there is only one head and the second spare"state room is tiny.
We never have had a couple cruise with us in all our cruising. However nice, the N-37 is really couples boat. Day trips, sleepovers at the dock, ok. Beyond that, you would need very close, knowledge and flexible guests to cruise with you. GH-37, N-47's. GH-47's all can much better accommodate guests.
Welcome to the GHTA.

Joe Pica
N-37 "Carolyn Ann"

Currently laying in Great Kills Yacht Club looking to leave down the Jersey Coast Monday. Heading south to New Bern NC for the winter and a grandmother grandchildren fix..
Joe Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks Joe! Appreciate you taking the time to reply and I've read as many of your posts as I can find. I took a look last week and it looked like you where getting out of Harmine's path. I work for DHS, this time of the year we are pretty busy with the storms. Don
Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #31

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: My Way
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Mark 1
What is TF?
RangerGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Well Joe, you don't want the guest to get too comfortable, they might not leave. Point well taken on the low center. All tankage is right on the bottom. I have not been on Avocet during anything but a mild chop. They are REALLY, REALLY great boats. Foot for foot, the most livable I have ever seen.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Velocity response

Yes hiding I was. I retired (2nd time) from DHS.
There is great visibility from lower helm. Galley well lighted with tow ports and a hatch.
I can easily single hand and can see strn ladder from helm port is not as visible unless you go to the window. So strb is preferred side to dock unless you have a spotter (wife) coaching you.. Docking has never been a problem in wind or current. N's are much easier than GH to dock etc. But they GHrs adapt and cruise fine. Most have done the loop and have extensive hours on their boats. Generally health issue only stop them and force them off. I can move the boat sideways in moderate winds and currents with rudders and split plants. We spent alot of time at anchor and on moorings.etc. Not a problem.Being a slow boat with small engines patience is the steepest learning curve coming from hp loaded sports fishing boats. The only issue with wind is when backing down a fairway in beam winds the bow gets pushed by the wind however the bow thruster keeps it under control.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerGlenn View Post
What is TF?
It`s like Facebook for people who go boating.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #35

City: Greenfield IN
Vessel Name: Chutay
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Can anyone tell me how comfortable the settee is on either the N37 or N47? We had a RV and ended up removing the table and bench seating and putting in a recliner. My wife and I are not ones to sit at a table to eat.
DMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Depends on the N. N-47's have a dining area on galley level and a table in Pilot house. Most N-37s(one has a dining table below instead of spare room) only have the pilot house sette wth table port side, bench (converts into bunks when back rest folded up) settee on starboard side. The table sette came in two forms, bench seating and "L" seating. Some N-37s don't have the starboard sette(bench seating) instead an open area and those owners have comfortable chairs instead. We changed out our dining table fixed mount for one that can be shifted to be easier to seat more at the table when folded out.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #37

City: Greenfield IN
Vessel Name: Chutay
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Joe,
On the N37 is here room to remove the table and L-shape seating in the salon and put in a reclining loveseat with zero clearance fo reclining?
DMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #38
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
One of the few things I don't like about my Willard is the L sette. I much prefer dinettes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #39
Veteran Member

No, as the table is on a raised platform. However there is room if you remove the settee/ bunk bed which will provided room for two small ones that don't extend too far, if carefully placed and not too large. I really don't think the Ns will provide that kind of furniture, however, GHs do and several have those. You really should look at the GH-37 and 47s. To meet these large furniture requirements.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Can anyone provide me with an estimate for annual insurance cost on a GH 37?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the GH 37 with a single and stabilizers? I found a picture and the port hole layout is not standard.

Tags
great harbour