Mirage - Great Harbour needs a forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Joe, you don't want the guest to get too comfortable, they might not leave. Point well taken on the low center. All tankage is right on the bottom. I have not been on Avocet during anything but a mild chop. They are REALLY, REALLY great boats. Foot for foot, the most livable I have ever seen.

Velocity response

Yes hiding I was. I retired (2nd time) from DHS.
There is great visibility from lower helm. Galley well lighted with tow ports and a hatch.
I can easily single hand and can see strn ladder from helm port is not as visible unless you go to the window. So strb is preferred side to dock unless you have a spotter (wife) coaching you.. Docking has never been a problem in wind or current. N's are much easier than GH to dock etc. But they GHrs adapt and cruise fine. Most have done the loop and have extensive hours on their boats. Generally health issue only stop them and force them off. I can move the boat sideways in moderate winds and currents with rudders and split plants. We spent alot of time at anchor and on moorings.etc. Not a problem.Being a slow boat with small engines patience is the steepest learning curve coming from hp loaded sports fishing boats. The only issue with wind is when backing down a fairway in beam winds the bow gets pushed by the wind however the bow thruster keeps it under control.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how comfortable the settee is on either the N37 or N47? We had a RV and ended up removing the table and bench seating and putting in a recliner. My wife and I are not ones to sit at a table to eat.

Depends on the N. N-47's have a dining area on galley level and a table in Pilot house. Most N-37s(one has a dining table below instead of spare room) only have the pilot house sette wth table port side, bench (converts into bunks when back rest folded up) settee on starboard side. The table sette came in two forms, bench seating and "L" seating. Some N-37s don't have the starboard sette(bench seating) instead an open area and those owners have comfortable chairs instead. We changed out our dining table fixed mount for one that can be shifted to be easier to seat more at the table when folded out.

Joe,
On the N37 is here room to remove the table and L-shape seating in the salon and put in a reclining loveseat with zero clearance fo reclining?

One of the few things I don't like about my Willard is the L sette. I much prefer dinettes.

No, as the table is on a raised platform. However there is room if you remove the settee/ bunk bed which will provided room for two small ones that don't extend too far, if carefully placed and not too large. I really don't think the Ns will provide that kind of furniture, however, GHs do and several have those. You really should look at the GH-37 and 47s. To meet these large furniture requirements.

Can anyone provide me with an estimate for annual insurance cost on a GH 37?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the GH 37 with a single and stabilizers? I found a picture and the port hole layout is not standard.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide me with an estimate for annual insurance cost on a GH 37?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the GH 37 with a single and stabilizers? I found a picture and the port hole layout is not standard.

Annual insurance will be determined by where you keep and use the boat, your boating experience, the coverage you buy and maybe even your claim history. On the Great Lakes, it might be $1000/yr whereas in Florida it might be $3000/yr and both those numbers are wild guesses.

Great Harbour boats are only made with twins. In general, there is no need for stabilizers on the GH37 and I am unaware of any that have them. You might want to go to the Great Harbour web site and read the Trawler Truths under "Great Design". Of course, if you have a big enough check book, they might build you anything.

Great Harbour Trawlers - Great Harbour Trawlers: America's go-anyhere liveaboards

Thank for the insurance numbers.

I'm a frequent visitor of the Mirage website and have read most everything on their site. I stumbled across a forum where this person was describing a GH 37 with a single and stabilizers. I will try to find it and post the link.

I stumbled across a forum where this person was describing a GH 37 with a single and stabilizers. I will try to find it and post the link.

I am skeptical of that claim but you might send a PM to kraftee who used to work for them and knows just about everything about the Great Harbours.

Hopefully I will be at Trawlerfest Bay Bridge and plan to attend (my work seems to have control of my schedule) the workshop taught by Ken Fickett. I'll ask him to confirm.

Here is the paragraph....

"Dinner tonight was on Liberty’s veranda. Salmon (what else), baked potatoe and salad. Wine (of course) as well as strawberry shortcake for desert. In attendance were the Mate and Skipper, Patty and Marshall from Sgt. Jiggs and Robin and Norm, owners a Great Harbor 37 docked across from us. Robin is still on active duty as a Marine Corps Colonel, Norm having retired a number of years ago.

Their Great Harbor 37 is built on the same hull as the N37, the difference being the house. It is litteraly as big as a house inside. This particular boat is unique in the sense that instead of having twin engines it has a single and is fitted with active stabilizers. There are only two GH37’s built with this particular configuration."

https://pilgrimliberty.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/20151114_150246.jpg

Last edited:
Velocity,
I have a GH47 so my insurance is not helpful to you. Two GH37 owners have told me their insurance ranges from $1900/yr to $2500/yr. A lot depends on where you home port it, where you plan to cruise and what deductible you want.

Your best answer on a GH with a single engine would be to ask Ken Fickett at Mirage. With the hull shape, I would not want stabilizers, and except in extreme beam weather you would not need it. We got into a storm this summer in the Georgian Bay - heavy rain and gale force wind, with gusts of 62mph. The storm had me turn the nose into the wind until the brunt had moves past. The hull is 16' beam, so stabilizer fins would extend the beam to 18' when stowed which could be a challenge finding a slip.

Last edited:
How do you think the GH37 would have handled those conditions? The 47's are pretty heavy.

Velocity,
I have to smile at your question...we were following a GH37. We have been doing the Loop with them. They handled the weather just fine. We lost sight of them for a bit due to the rain.

That's great news....very interested in the gh37. I'm attendinding Trawlerfest next weekend and will attend Ken Fickett's boat buying course and hopefully tour as many trawlers as possible.

Thanks for the reply!
Don

That's great news....very interested in the gh37. I'm attendinding Trawlerfest next weekend and will attend Ken Fickett's boat buying course and hopefully tour as many trawlers as possible.

Thanks for the reply!

Don

Ken Fickett's boat buying course:
Buy Great Harbours! ?

Just kidding. Ken is a good dude. I met him and his wife when I was looking at a GH, and they seemed like good, down to earth people.

Last edited:
I should clarify.....

Boat Buyer’s Survival Guide With Jay Benford, Ken Fickett & Dylan Bailey.

I've spoken with him a few times, very friendly. Visited the factory once.

Velocityvr1,
I am curious - what was Ken's answer about a GH37 with single engines and stabilizers?

I do agree a Great Harbour Area is Needed.
As Senior Mod in another forum, I know it's not that difficult and in time becomes very active once it catches on.

Be nice if Ken just dedicated a portion of his site to a forum setting or even the GHTA set one up with a member and guest area. Guest could be a moderated section as well.

Just Sayen. ....
Every One have a wonderful and Safe 2017
Jim...... Just waiting on our turn.

Fish Catcher Jim,
If it is not hard to setup, and you are a moderator in another section, why is it not setup? I am surprised there have been 3500 views to this thread.
hjd

GHTA web site does have a forum section but on Trawler forum, there are a lot more folks participating

Fish Catcher Jim,
If it is not hard to setup, and you are a moderator in another section, why is it not setup? I am surprised there have been 3500 views to this thread.
hjd

GHTA web site does have a forum section but on Trawler forum, there are a lot more folks participating

I am Not a moderator in trawler forum but a complete different online forum.
Looking forward to talking with some GH owners very much.

Hang in there, Great Harbourists! There's help on the horizon!

And how about you Helmsmen? We're coming for you, too.

We'll soon have a section for each line of Trawlers.

Great to see Great Harbour got a forum.
Thank you to the Admins

Back
Top Bottom