Great Harbour N37 Young America at our dock yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CyberTiVo. Yes, I am familiar with Vicksburg - ex Ti-De's Dream. What would you like to know about her?

And Larry, yes, Esmeralda (N37 Hull #5) is, indeed a lovely vessel. The first N37 built with a crow's nest, she was our Miami Boat Show feature in '04.

A crow's nest and reverse slant windows on the N37. Man, that's cool!

Looking back thru old posts, it is noted that in November 2013, cardude had a contract on Vicksburg subject to survey and sea trials and then the deal broke down. I would like to hear what happened on it with the survey and sea trial. That boat has been on the market a long time.

The boat had not been used for a long time IMO. Lots of deferred maintenance and repairs. Big blisters all over the hull. Generator problems. Engines all rusty. Other stuff I can't remember.

Just more than I wanted to tackle at that price (or even lower).

I have also looked at her. It's all of what Cardude says and more.... Sad actually. She could be a wonderful vessel again but it would need a huge reduction in price IMO.

I have also looked at her. It's all of what Cardude says and more.... Sad actually. She could be a wonderful vessel again but it would need a huge reduction in price IMO.

The boat had not been used for a long time IMO. Lots of deferred maintenance and repairs. Big blisters all over the hull. Generator problems. Engines all rusty. Other stuff I can't remember.

Just more than I wanted to tackle at that price (or even lower).

Good to know. If it was in bad shape two years ago, it must be worse now. I imagine the older GH out on the west coast is in a similar situation. Thanks.

Donsan-I saw the one out here, in Lake Union, a few moths ago, not to buy, but just curious to see one. The broker gave e a nice tour and it looked to be a quite good shape.

That pretty much answers my questions, very sad. If I were retired and the price was right, it sounds like a great project boat.

I have not seen the boat since it was owned by the previous owner. However, here is my take on the situation: If I was looking for a nice, low-hour, Version 'A', liveaboard GH37 on the cheap, I'd start by figuring out what the blisters would cost to fix. I am not sure about the condition of the hull paint - but maybe it needs a paint job too. Factor that in. Then, figure in that I might have to replace the 8kw genset (prob just needs some work though - it's a Yanmar engine on the front end, after all). However, I can't believe those low hour Yanmar mains will require anything more than service and cleanup. But I'll figure in the price of new peripherals - alternators, starters, hoses, belts, water pumps, etc.

Now add it all up. Take that total dollar figure and double it. Subtract that amount from the asking price and that's what I would offer. The boat has been on the market for a while. They very well might take it - but this is important: only if offered AS IS, WHERE IS. Don't forget, they've been to survey and gotten shot down before. Not much risk for me, as I know, structurally, the boat is built like a brick you-know-what. Worst case scenario, those little pea-shooter Yanmars are pretty cheap - and I already doubled my estimated costs. It will still be the absolute cheapest you will see a Great Harbour for a long time. We just didn't build that many of them!

Just the opinion of a guy who is pretty familiar with Great Harbours.

Not really sure. There were 20 GH37s built (so far - Ken would probably build another if provoked!) The very last GH37 (a B-Version) was destroyed in an ugly arson/murder/suicide. Of the remaining 19? Maybe 8 'A's? Certainly, the eight or nine final GH37s produced were Version 'B'. Ken always much preferred the Version 'A'.

I'm planning to attend trawler fest in Baltimore October 2015. Very interested in GH 37s. Does anyone know if there will be any Ns or GHs attendinding or passing by?

I'm a longtime boater and starting to plan my live aboard future.

Thanks!

Good, lucid evaluation, Kraftee. I don't know what the circumstances were that led to the lack of care on the vessel, but with a good strategy, one could end up with refreshed GH for the same money or less.

I'm planning to attend trawler fest in Baltimore October 2015. Very interested in GH 37s. Does anyone know if there will be any Ns or GHs attendinding or passing by?

Have no idea but there is an N37 for sale in the Solomons so there is a possibility it might be brought to Baltimore. It is early yet as far as announcing what boats will be there.

thanks, looking forward to getting on one. You can only read so much.

Trawlerfest isn't in Balt this year but is at the Bay Bridge Marina on Kent Island across the bay bridge from Annapolis. I don't know of any N's that are attending. Island Swan is in Solomons island and has at least one current serious looker. Young America will probably be heading south by the. I'm in New Bern, NC for several months and would be glad to show our N to you if you can't find one to tour.

Correct, we are flying into BWI (our kids live in DC). I appreciate the offer. If I can get over to the coast later this summer I'll try to contact you.

I did talk to Ken a couple weeks ago and will also try to take him up on his offer to stop by the factory. In the past my job required extensive travel and NC and FL would have been pretty easy to get to, but stuck in the office for the next 5 months.

As mentioned, I'm at the beginning of the process. We boat almost every weekend on our lake in a 29' velocity-everyone laughs because a trawler is about as opposite as one can get. I guess I enjoy all types of boating. after I purchase the trawler I plan to keep it in Chattanooga until I retire.

Any idea what the annual insurance cost might be for a N/GH 37 docked in a non hurricane area in fresh water? Thanks, Don

Looked at this GH37 a few weeks ago. What a shame. Kraftee is right on the money. Can add nothing to his commentary. Still loved the boat and if it was not in Texas I may have done as Kraftee suggested. However not sure I'm up for the blister repair job! So off to look at a N37 and a different GH37! It never stops to stun me how someone could let this happen to a boat, but then again I see it all the time with million $$$ houses also! :banghead:

I've looked at everything on line and will continue to look. Unfortunetly, I'm very early in the research/preparedness phase. So far, I really like the GH trawlers and the concept behind there design. The good news for me is we are about 80 miles from Chattanooga ( I work in Atlanta). With teleworking and required travel living in Chatt on the Tennessee river is an option.
Like the room of the GH 47s, but the 37 is the realistic option. I'd say the GH 37 "Easy" is our favorite. thanks, Don

Last edited:
Between the standard 3,000 watt inverter, the large standard battery bank, and the alternators on the diesels, you can run the appliances indefinitely underway. Keep in mind that the Energy Star home appliances actually draw very little amperage. Now, if you want to run the 240v cooktop underway, you will either need the optional twin inverter setup or you have to start the generator.

Eric said it all. However, I'll add that another benefit to these household appliances is they can can be worked on almost everywhere and have parts very commonly available at local service centers e.g. Our 23 cuft sideby side Sears Kenmore Fridgefreezer combo with icemaker and filtered water. Thus replaces three separate marine specific items.

Hello Velocityvr1 I took a good look at the boat in Jax (GH37) earlier this week. She is in great condition and well cared for by her original owners. We decided however that we like the N37 better we looked at. The Jax boat although not as well equipped as Easy is a whole bunch less expensive. Worth a look if you are really interested in the GH37.

Last edited:
Two of the three Great Harbor boats I looked at had blisters. One was a GH and the other was an N37. One of the GH did not have any. Not a big sample but some data for you.

Not to hyjack the thread here, but the Lang you've got pictured there in your Avatar is a sweet looking 32! Looking at GH's, you must be wanting to expand in EVERY way!

The fact that GH's have such big appliances is pretty hard to miss. Since our cruising plan has us anchored out quite a bit, we wondered about the amp draw. I imagined I would change-out the huge fridge for something like we have now, but after my Admiral got aboard an N-37 about two months ago, she decided different.

GH look wonderful and the full size 110 volt appliances would be nice, but since I have never had a boat with a generator, the idea of having to run a generator much of time puts me off a bit. I like quiet when sitting on the hook (or at least don't like noise competing with my soft music). I understand that modern generators and installations are much quieter than they used to be, but I have been in anchorages where boats have had there generators running most of the time and it was pretty annoying.

Dhays we have a GH47 and love the large appliances and since they are energystar rated the fridge does not draw much at anchor unless you are in and out of it frequently. We too love the quiet at anchor and with the large battery banks they put on all Great Harbour boats you get the best of both worlds!

Thanks
Norm Miller

Dhays we have a GH47 and love the large appliances and since they are energystar rated the fridge does not draw much at anchor unless you are in and out of it frequently. We too love the quiet at anchor and with the large battery banks they put on all Great Harbour boats you get the best of both worlds!

Good to know. They sure seem like wonderful boats.

Back
Top Bottom