Old 01-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #161

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I have always enjoyed the GH series especially the GH47. Can any of the GH owners speak on the windage issue with them. My Californian now has the aft deck enclosed and even in a slight wind I have a huge amount of windage despite weighing in at 48K lbs. I definently could see myself doing the loop on a GH47 one day, unless I hit the lottery and then I am buying a Dashew FPB. I guess I'm a sucker for odd looking boats.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #162
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
I guess I'm a sucker for odd looking boats.
I know the feeling! Oddboatitis disease....no known cure.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #163
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky Lake
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
Conrad wrote:

"I am a bit confused about the N47 Spoonbill. You mention that it was built in 2009 and assigned a HIN, but 5 years later it was reassigned a new HIN and a March 2014 certification or completion date? Sounds odd to me, but as a Canadian maybe we do things differently here. Normally once a HIN is set, it is set."

Hi Conrad,

My first look at Great Harbor trawlers was the same PMM article you mentioned. The magazine did a huge spread on the original Semper Fi’s trip to Cuba and it was love at first sight for me. When I traveled to Gainesville from Hawaii in May of 2013 to meet with Ken to see an N37 for the first time, I brought that issue in my carry-on and had Ken sign it for me. I think that is the only time I have ever done anything like that. The addition of a flybridge option on the fourth N37 built only strengthened my resolve to own my own N37 someday. That day is not quite here for us yet as my wife and I are still waiting for Mirage to finalize the closing on our purchase of Semper Fi II.

I was surprised by Spoonbill’s HIN change as well. Coast Guard documented vessels require authorization from the USCG Commandant to change a HIN and permission to do that is rarely granted. One possible exception would be to correct an obvious error. For example, the last two digits might be changed from 60 to 06, to make the HIN reflect the actual model year (2006) of the vessel.

Spoonbill is still documented (#1218535) with the original HIN showing her as a 2009 model. Almost Heaven’s documentation (#1253389) has recorded the new HIN showing her as a 2014 model. In other words, the same boat is concurrently documented with the Coast Guard, under two different HINs.
Island Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #164

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
I have always enjoyed the GH series especially the GH47. Can any of the GH owners speak on the windage issue with them. My Californian now has the aft deck enclosed and even in a slight wind I have a huge amount of windage despite weighing in at 48K lbs. I definently could see myself doing the loop on a GH47 one day, unless I hit the lottery and then I am buying a Dashew FPB. I guess I'm a sucker for odd looking boats.
Hello Knot head charters,
You might find some peace of mind on this here......
jim
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...day-15917.html
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #165
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Bound View Post
In other words, the same boat is concurrently documented with the Coast Guard, under two different HINs.
Thanks Richard, but I'm still confused!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #166

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
One of the really cool things I found about Great Harbour owners is that whatever model they owned, they were convinced that it was the absolute BEST boat for their needs.
But you couldn't convince a GH37 owner to take a GH47 on an even trade! And a GH47 owner finds it hard to believe that anyone can live aboard one of those "little" GH37s! Same with the N models. And don't even ask a GH owner if he/she would rather have an N! By the same token N owners wouldn't want one of those giant GH models!

In other words, everyone always seemed pretty damned happy with the boat they were living on! Strange, huh?
Eric,
Very true but we totally thought we would be buying a GH37 until we found Seven Tenths. I think a GH37 is a great boat and would not mind it if the GH47 was not available. The N - I just can't get my head around but have not spent much time on them. I know Joe love's his.
Yes - everyone does seem very happy with their Great Harbour boats. I am hoping the market has Ken building more soon.
Henry
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #167

Knothead Charters,
As an owner of a GH47 for the past 7 years, I can speak to the windage issue and concern. One of my first installs was a PB200 wind sensor. The hard chines seem to help some but when in narrow passages or marinas, you do have to plan for the wind effect. My most recent docking had me spin a 180 turn in a fairway of the marina and back down the opposite direct so the wind helped move the bow vs slide the boat sideways. The twin engines and bow thruster can be used as needed.
Most of our time has been spent on the Chesapeake Bay with a group of boaters that were mainly express cruisers. We still laugh about a planned weekend at St. Michaels. The weather forcast on Friday morning was gale force winds declining to small craft warnings for the rest of the day. As soon as the gale warning was dropped, we looked at each other and said "Let's go".

The windage also seem to cause our boat to "sail" when on the anchor.

Our cockpit has a screen/isinglass enclosure installed.

Not sure what else to add.
Safe travels and calm seas,
Henry
Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #168
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky Lake
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Thanks Richard, but I'm still confused!
Me too. This is from the FAQs tab of the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center:

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL?

When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules, and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee (lender) should complete a Satisfaction of Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage.
Island Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #169

City: Port Orchard
Does anyone know of a Great Harbour in the Pacific Northwest? I live in the Seattle area and would love to look at one in person. I just sold my 30' Tollycraft Sedan and Admiral and I are looking for something a little larger and the N37 looks to really fit the bill on everything we are looking for.
DDorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #170
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
A month or so ago we were down on Lake Union and a dealer downt here had a GH 37 for sale. Don't remember his name but he was just north of the China Harbor Restaurant building. He had mostly sailboats.

Ah-I just checked yachtworld and the boat is listed with Waterline Boats LLC. It is a 2001 and listed at $259,000.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #171

Great I'll have to make a trip over to try and see it!
Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #172
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDorr View Post
Great I'll have to make a trip over to try and see it!
Thanks
Hi there,

In your first post (welcome aboard by the way ) you mentioned you were looking for an N37. The one in Seattle is a GH37...be sure to brace yourself...it's a very different beast!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #173

Hi MurryM,
I did see that the boat was a GH-37 and as much as I have been on their website looking I am well aware the differences between the N and the GH lol. It would be hard to confuse those two, but reading these and other posts I can see that it happens all the time. I am really interested in the N but at least I can see attention to detail and build quality by looking at the GH if I can get over there.
Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #174
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Hi MurryM,
I am really interested in the N but at least I can see attention to detail and build quality by looking at the GH if I can get over there.
Thanks again!
That's true. I was lucky enough to see the entire GH and N series line in one day. The impression was pretty much the same. Huge space, brute build.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #175

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Does anyone know of a Great Harbour in the Pacific Northwest? I live in the Seattle area and would love to look at one in person. I just sold my 30' Tollycraft Sedan and Admiral and I are looking for something a little larger and the N37 looks to really fit the bill on everything we are looking for.

Contact Ken Fickett at Great Harbour Trawlers. If anyone knows, Ken will.
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #176

There is a N37 in San Francisco and a GH37 in Seattle.
As far as the original thread...I am docked with Young America tonight - it is looking good.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #177

City: FL
Eric, do you know anything about the 2000 GH37 Vicksburg?
CyberTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #178
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I think our Forum Member "Cardude" took a look at Vicksburg. Might want to check with him.

Meanwhile, this N-37 showed up at our local marina recently with this odd, but practical bow canvas. The owner noted that it kept the stateroom below 15 degrees cooler in the FL sun. He and his wife invited us aboard for a review of the vessel's amenities. A quick glance at the engine room and bosons locker reminded me of why i like the N-37 so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	43069  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #179

City: Gainesville, FL
CyberTiVo. Yes, I am familiar with Vicksburg - ex Ti-De's Dream. What would you like to know about her?

And Larry, yes, Esmeralda (N37 Hull #5) is, indeed a lovely vessel. The first N37 built with a crow's nest, she was our Miami Boat Show feature in '04.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GroeneinNest.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	43075  
Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #180
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Looking back thru old posts, it is noted that in November 2013, cardude had a contract on Vicksburg subject to survey and sea trials and then the deal broke down. I would like to hear what happened on it with the survey and sea trial. That boat has been on the market a long time.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote