Old 12-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #141

City: Gainesville, FL
It's just not an issue.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #142

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Larry

The swim platform on our GH47, even with a full fuel (1380 Gal) and water (480) and holding tank (320) does not drag in the water while underway or at the dock. I belleive that Lou's design forms a unique path through the water that produces very little squat while underway.

Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #143

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Great Harbour N37 Young America at our dock yesterday

Also, the hull design leaves behind a wake that is kind to others (as we pass by)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419904953.322874.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	35834
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #144
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
Also, the hull design leaves behind a wake that is kind to others (as we pass by)!

Attachment 35834
And really frustrating for the PWC drivers trying to hop your wake!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #145

City: London
Is it possible to install a Steadying sail system on the N37? Would it help in anyway based on its hull design?
People who have installed a steadying sail on their boat (regardless of make/model), either claim it has helped them out e.g roll damping and others who claim no noticeable difference at all.
nickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #146

Obviously, it's POSSIBLE to add a steadying sail - but I am not sure that it would have much effect on the GH hull with its very high initial stability. Again, probably a question best posed to Lou Codega or Ken Fickett.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Obviously, it's POSSIBLE to add a steadying sail - but I am not sure that it would have much effect on the GH hull with its very high initial stability. Again, probably a question best posed to Lou Codega or Ken Fickett.
I will pm Lou Codega and ask him. Once I get information on the subject, I will share it with you guys (for future reference).
Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #148

City: Smithfield
To answer the question, we need to separate roll stability from roll damping. Often confused, they are totally different. Think in terms of the front end of your car - the springs provide stability and the shock absorbers provide damping. You need both functioning together to get the best possible ride down a rough road.

Stability is the tendency of a system to return to its original equilibrium when disturbed. This is GM, righting moment, stiffness in roll, and so on.

Damping is the ability of a system to dissipate the energy that it has absorbed back into the world. This is how quickly the boat stops rolling once it is disturbed.

Most people, in their quest for what they call roll stability, are actually looking for damping. Which is good, as there is not much that can be done to change stability after a boat is built other than massive ballasting. There are many ways to increase damping: gyro-stabilizers, bilge keels, paravanes, steadying sails, inherent hull shapes, and one or two others that I won't mention. Do active fins provide stability or damping? Ask the manufacturers. Not too long ago, they wouldn't sell you a unit unless your boat did over 12 knots.

Which finally gets us around to the question. The hard chines, wide beam and two large skegs give the N/GH hull massively inherent damping. I don't think that any reasonably sized steadying sail is going to make an improvement that is worth the price, in terms of cost, complication and reduced capability.

That said, Ken and I are both retired sail boat racers and we have talked about putting a simple, workboat style rig with a folding mast on an N for long downwind passages. It would save a bit of fuel and would be a pleasant thing to look at.

Lou
LouCodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #149

Thank you, for your input much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #150
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky Lake
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
Great Harbour Trawlers Build History

There has been a lot of interest on this forum recently in Great Harbour Trawlers and I thought I might provide, with some help from the Great Harbour Trawler Association (GHTA) archives, a little bit of build history. To date there has been a total of 55 of these stout little ships built, spanning 1996 to 2010. These 55 boats can be broken down into two size groups and four different models.

The original concept vessel was a 37’ model designated a GH37. Christened Hemisphere Dancer, she was completed in 1996 and was given hull #10 in the series. The first GH47, a ten foot longer version of the GH37, was built in 2000 and assigned hull #21.

In 2002, the first flush deck N37 was completed (hull #25) using the same hull mold as the GH37. This vessel was the first of three Great Harbour N37s to be christened Semper Fi and she was used as a demo boat for Mirage Manufacturing, the parent company of Great Harbor Trawlers. The last model to be introduced by Mirage was the N47, similar in layout to the N37 but built on the GH47 hull, which added ten more feet of waterline and was typically used for an extra stateroom and head. The first of the N47s was launched in 2007 (hull #46) and is considered by many to be their favorite Great Harbour Trawler model.

Of the 55 trawlers built, 54 of them are still plying the coastal and near shore island waterways as they were designed to do. The only hull loss has been a GH37, which was tragically destroyed in an arson fire that resulted in the death of the owner.

For those of you keeping score here is the build breakdown:

19 GH37 Models
21 N37 Models
9 GH47 Models
6 N47 Models

The last trawler built was hull #65, Island Swan, an N37 model in 2010. As some of you know, Mirage started construction late last year on a new N37 and when completed it will be hull #67 in the sequence. The reason for this as I recently discovered, is that hull #66 has been reassigned to Spoonbill (previously hull #64), an N47 model Mirage charter boat built just prior to Island Swan in 2009. Spoonbill was sold last spring and re-documented with the USCG as a 2014 model with the new HIN reflecting hull #66 and a March of 2014 certification or completion date.
Island Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #151

Most of your information is correct Richard. Congratulations. I used to get a LOT of questions about numbers of boats built.

To add just a little: Not only were the early GH37s and N37s built in the same hull mold - but all of the GH47s and N47s were built in this same mold! There was a pair of ten-foot inserts that were bolted into the mold to make it 47' long. This mold was eventually made into a permanent 47' mold and a new 37' mold was made off of the 12th N37 hull (#44), "Meermin".

By way of the only correction I could come up with, the extra ten feet in the N47 is typically used for a huge dinette across from the galley that makes it a wide open entertainment area. To date, the only N47 built with the extra, third stateroom is Spoonbill. And, for the record, my favorite Great Harbour model is the N47!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #152
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky Lake
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
"By way of the only correction I could come up with, the extra ten feet in the N47 is typically used for a huge dinette across from the galley that makes it a wide open entertainment area."

Thanks Eric ,

I forgot about the dinette option, Spoonbill (now Almost Heaven) is the only N47 I have actually had the pleasure of seeing up close. My wife and I lived on Spoonbill for a couple of months before she was sold last spring while we were waiting for Semper Fi to be re-launched. In early May we had a great time helping deliver her to the Bahamas for her new owner. For us, one of the best features was the extra two feet of room in the forward stateroom. The stacked washer/dryer was very accessible and easy to use and it was the one place on the boat were it was easy to move around without bumping into anything. We joked that the perfect Great Harbour Trawler for us would have been an N39.
Island Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #153
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks for adding that detail, Rich. Now I really know what chances I have to obtain a GH. I'll take your suggestion to heart, however, and if I decide to go for a new build, I'll insist on an N-39.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #154

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
The N47 may be a fine vessel but I prefer the GH47 with the watch cabin and pilothouse.

Cheers, Henry
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #155

City: Kalamazoo
They are All Wonderful Boats and I too will own one in my near future !!
Thanks for all the input !!
Jim
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #156

Quote:
The N47 may be a fine vessel but I prefer the GH47 with the watch cabin and pilothouse.
One of the really cool things I found about Great Harbour owners is that whatever model they owned, they were convinced that it was the absolute BEST boat for their needs. With other make boats, owners of 29s dream of upgrading to a 35 - and owners of 35s really want a 47, and so on.

But you couldn't convince a GH37 owner to take a GH47 on an even trade! And a GH47 owner finds it hard to believe that anyone can live aboard one of those "little" GH37s! Same with the N models. And don't even ask a GH owner if he/she would rather have an N! By the same token N owners wouldn't want one of those giant GH models!

In other words, everyone always seemed pretty damned happy with the boat they were living on! Strange, huh?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #157

City: Greenfield IN
Vessel Name: Chutay
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
I was recently told that Yanmar was phasing out the 54hp engine and going to a 57hp that burns cleaner and is a little more fuel efficient. Does anyone know if the new 57hp will be used in the N37 going forward?
DMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #158

I can't answer for what Ken is spec'ing for his newest build, but it seems to me that either the Yanmar 4JH5E (53hp) or the 4JH57 (57hp) common rail diesel would be suitable for the N37.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #159
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Hi Richard,

Yes, that is a great summing up of the Great Harbour lineage. I have been intrigued with them since the PMM article that covered an N37 cruise to Cuba and back. On one of the Semper Fi's you mentioned I think.

I am a bit confused about the N47 Spoonbill. You mention that it was built in 2009 and assigned a HIN, but 5 years later it was reassigned a new HIN and a March 2014 certification or completion date? Sounds odd to me, but as a Canadian maybe we do things differently here. Normally once a HIN is set, it is set.

There certainly seems to be a very strong endorsement of Great Harbours from those who either own them or have seen them in person. Alas none have made it up our way that I'm aware of.
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 AM   #160

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
One of the really cool things I found about Great Harbour owners is that whatever model they owned, they were convinced that it was the absolute BEST boat for their needs. With other make boats, owners of 29s dream of upgrading to a 35 - and owners of 35s really want a 47, and so on.

But you couldn't convince a GH37 owner to take a GH47 on an even trade! And a GH47 owner finds it hard to believe that anyone can live aboard one of those "little" GH37s! Same with the N models. And don't even ask a GH owner if he/she would rather have an N! By the same token N owners wouldn't want one of those giant GH models!

In other words, everyone always seemed pretty darn happy with the boat they were living on! Strange, huh?

Eric,
I know I have not yet purchased our Great Harbour (Mirage) Boat and may not be seen by most as a GH owner.....but that's just a matter of time......I quoted the things you said because it hit home for me.

When I began this search for a true live a board I began all "gungho" and truly thought I knew what I wanted and what would work best......Then it happened.........too many choices and too many different views on what makes a best live a board boat by not just people but manufactures as well. Seemed every one had the best idea but to be truthful, it always ended up with too many deal breakers then deal makers. There was always too many things that you did not either like or would have to simply forget about and "SETTLE" FOR and this can turn a beautiful experience into a big pain in the butt !!**

The Great Harbours got my attention several times but dismissed them as a not so worthy candidate and kept looking and looking and looking all the while the Great Harbour was gnawing inside of me and NOTHING would make it go away. I tried to keep looking at others and swore the the Nordic 49 was the one and only and a very smart person told me too "Keep Looking At Boats" over and over and over !! So I did!

Then It happened...........I got smarter.... (hey it happens) any way I began to talk to as many Great Harbour owners as I could and Not one was unhappy with the choice of boat they had made. I also apologise for bugging you as much as I did but in my heart I knew any one who was a head salesman and also was the captain of the main charter boat, well like I said I got smarter and knew that I knew you would be the one in the know as they say and you were !!

I said all that to say this.............as I was told once before....there is no one perfect boat for every one..........BUT there is for most a perfect boat and once you find this boat....NOTHING is going to get in your way or keep you from it or change your mind towards something else.

For us there is but one choice...........N47.....Nothing compares to this boat "for our needs and desires" not even all that wonderful space and third stateroom in the helm of the GH47 !!

Look at most of the GH Owners...........they are not kids or even in their twenties......and have that got to have it fast mentality. See most GH owners that I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting are older and have done this fast pace life style for far too long. This Rat Race most call the good life
has taken it's toll and "NOW it's our turn", is the mentality of most GH owners IMHO.

The Great Harbour Trawler is a laid back liven and enjoying life kind of Trawler. Easy to maintain and operate and the living quarters that come with both the GH and the N models are simply Just What YOU DESIRE and NOT simply, "just what you get."

I know this is long but I truly can say I held back on all that I can say about this topic...The Great Harbour Trawler....
One last thing.............
You ever have a pair of shoes even though they looked ruff just felt so good on your feet so you chose to wear them all the time or a special T shirt that looked like it was almost as old as you were BUT was your first choice to put on and NO one was going to take them away from you ??!! Yea its like that with a Great Harbour Trawler.............ONCE this boat has captured your heart there is no turning back.......It's simply HOME sweet Home and it fits better then any other thing could !!

However......these boats are not for everyone..........simply for those of us who have had our share of this rat race society and have truly DECIDED to slow down and enjoy life and have wised up to know that this happens at 7 to 8 knots at a time IN A GREAT HARBOUR TRAWLER !!!

Have a blessed and wonderful week
Jim

Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote