Old 12-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #121

City: Smithfield
The GH and N share the same hull design, which is similar in proportions to boats done by both Phil Bolger and Jay Benford. The shape draws from twin screw workboats generally, but not one in particular. Despite the apparent crudeness, its a fairly sophisticated hull shape with reasonably fine waterlines forward; buttocks aft that minimize the stern wave, almost eliminate squat at hull speed, and allow for a large diameter propeller; and chines and skegs that incorporate a massive amount of roll damping. All ideas taken from workboats.

It is a true displacement hull designed to run efficiently at very close to hull speed, but it will not go faster. The 37 uses about 40 horsepower at 7 1/4 knots, fully loaded. The 47 uses about 60 if I recall correctly, at closer to 8 knots.

The original plan was that the boat would be built using FRP panel one off construction, so all the shapes had to be developable with fairly gentle curves. Like a lot of projects, plans changed along the way and a hull mold was made, but we decided to stick with the shape to make tooling affordable.

Also in the original plan was the ability to lengthen the 37 hull. The hull was designed and the mold was built with a shape that allowed for a prismatic insert, a section where all of the buttock lines go fore and aft, parallel to the waterline, across the hull. Everything lines up and fairs in, except for the sheer line in profile.

Lou

LouCodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #122
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hi Lou,

Welcome aboard

Someone at work accused me of not being 'normal' the other day...my reply was that if being normal meant living in the middle of the herd and never taking risks, no thanks! (Thought you might get a kick out of that).

Old 12-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #123

City: Gainesville, FL
Thanks for weighing in Lou. Hope you're having a great Holiday. ERIC
Old 12-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #124
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great to have you check in witb us, Lou. Best to you and yours for the Holidays.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #125

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCodega View Post
The GH and N share the same hull design, which is similar in proportions to boats done by both Phil Bolger and Jay Benford. The shape draws from twin screw workboats generally, but not one in particular. Despite the apparent crudeness, its a fairly sophisticated hull shape with reasonably fine waterlines forward; buttocks aft that minimize the stern wave, almost eliminate squat at hull speed, and allow for a large diameter propeller; and chines and skegs that incorporate a massive amount of roll damping. All ideas taken from workboats.

It is a true displacement hull designed to run efficiently at very close to hull speed, but it will not go faster. The 37 uses about 40 horsepower at 7 1/4 knots, fully loaded. The 47 uses about 60 if I recall correctly, at closer to 8 knots.

The original plan was that the boat would be built using FRP panel one off construction, so all the shapes had to be developable with fairly gentle curves. Like a lot of projects, plans changed along the way and a hull mold was made, but we decided to stick with the shape to make tooling affordable.

Also in the original plan was the ability to lengthen the 37 hull. The hull was designed and the mold was built with a shape that allowed for a prismatic insert, a section where all of the buttock lines go fore and aft, parallel to the waterline, across the hull. Everything lines up and fairs in, except for the sheer line in profile.

Lou

WOW Lou I just love it when to talk that way! Boat lovers like us really like hearing from a boats designer. Your collaboration with Ken Fickett resulted in a outstanding vessel. Owners quickly realize the stability and maneuverability of these trawlers! We have been amazed at how stable the boat is in a wide variety of water and weather conditions. All trawlers have pros and cons and for us the pros have far outweighed the cons!

I cannot resist putting some pictures to your words! Sorry that these photos are before, during and after, the bottom was blasted, sanded and painted but the lines are still visible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419632824.171059.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	35785

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419633031.960143.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	35786

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419633451.417371.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	35788

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419633061.568791.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	35787
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #126
Veteran Member

City: NH
Mr. Codega! The reason I found the Trawler Forum was when I
googled Great Harbour and you and Ken appeared in a thread here. So thank you. Also, to mention Phil Bolger and Jay Benford is meaningful. I knew you were good at the first sight of the N37.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 AM   #127

City: Kalamazoo
Lou Thank you for joining in and giving us all what we crave. Tidbits of your wisdom and gift of designing boats. Have a wonderful and blessed 2015.
Jim
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #128

City: London
Hello all!! Does anyone know whether the N37 is EU Certified as Class A, Open Ocean?
Meaning: A. OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.
Thanks
nickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #129

City: Gainesville, FL
No. But I'll let Lou or Ken address this question.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #130
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Wow,
Looks like the travel lift straps on the extremely hard Chines would be possibly troublesome.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #131

Eric as I was reading an article about your maiden voyage of spoonbill to the islands the traveling reporter with you mentioned how the form stable hull and " sans stabilizers" performed as advertised in the moderate 2 to 5 foot seas on the nose and the occasional slammer.......Now then what are these sans stabilizers that are mentioned ? I thought you did not need to run stabilizers or ballast on these boats......am I missing something here ?
thank you
jim
Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #132
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Sans normally means "without" so I assume it means no stabilizers.....I am sure Eric will correct me
Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Sans normally means "without" so I assume it means no stabilizers.....I am sure Eric will correct me
Dimmer,
Thank You and that sounds good to me !!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #134
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Interesting...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	35821  
Old 12-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #135
Guru

Site only lets me do one at a time...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	111
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	35822  
Old 12-29-2014, 02:26 AM   #136
Guru

Last one...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	113
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	35823  
Old 12-29-2014, 06:08 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
No. But I'll let Lou or Ken address this question.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #138

City: Smithfield
MurrayM - I am actually a very conservative designer. A builder is making a huge investment when they roll out a new boat and my first priority is to make sure that it performs as expected. Which is not to say that I always follow the crowd . . . .

Spotsville - Thanks for the pictures. They are an important addition.

Jobe - Mr. Codega is my father. I answer to Lou.

nickr - As far as I know, Ken has never gotten the boats certified for European export. Its an expensive proposition and is not required for US sales. I'm thinking that the N's could pass CAT A with some easily made modifications or substitutions.

manyboats - as the added photos show, the chines are not an issue on either the straps or the boat.
LouCodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #139

Thank you for the clarification. As I understand, a higher classed certification could help in acquiring better insurance rates. Might be expensive getting the boat evaluated/certified (needed anyway for export to EU) but you win in the long run insurance wise.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #140
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I looked long and hard at the massive swim platforms on the GH's, figuring that this style is what I would add to my own boat. The way we use our boat (or any boat) includes access to the water, and the GH design is the best overall production design I've seen for comfort in accessing the water. I've just completed the job, but I didn't add a skirt around the perimeter for extra strength, thinking that it may add drag in the areas pointed out in the photo below. Has anyone known this to be any issue?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GH underbody.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	35832  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote